[OT] Broadband!

Old May 20th 05, 07:29 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:03:18 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

"Duke of URL" had some very interesting things to
say about [OT] Broadband!:

I'd've loved to watch you waiting for downloads in the 300-Baud BBS days ...
When 900B became possible, we went nuts!

Files were also a lot smaller then, Gramps. ;-)

I was kind of late getting on line. My first modem was 1200 baud,
which was replaced not long after with 2400

Ah, the good ole days. Eagerly waiting for the monthly Commodore
Gazzette to arrive. Spend all night typing in the programs and saving
it to cassette. Spend the next several days trying to find which
semicolon was supposed to be a colon. Give up, and wait til the next
users group meeting to get a copy which acutally worked. Then we got
checksums, floppy disks, etc. Heck, for the longest time I couldn't
see any reason to upgrade from my 64 to the Commodore 128. Then came
my first IBM clone - with two 5 1/4 drive. Oh what a marvel a 20 meg
hard drive was, but I'll never fill this thing up? Who could even
imagine needing more than 640k of RAM.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy and Little Bit

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old May 21st 05, 02:21 AM
Yowie

"Duke of URL" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
Marina had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Broadband!:

You can check your actual speed on various sites, I like this one:
http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
Victor, posting at 4.1 mbps...

Cool! I get 824 kbps.

Bleah. I'm on dialup and got a measly 45.5 kbps.

Two months ago, I would have thought 45.5kbs was *fast*!

I'd've loved to watch you waiting for downloads in the 300-Baud BBS days
... When 900B became possible, we went nuts!

Um, I have waited for downloads at 300kbs. Thats when you went to bed, and
hoped you didn't lose the connection during the night!

Yowie

Old May 21st 05, 05:36 PM
Adrian

Yowie wrote:
"Duke of URL" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
"Seanette Blaylock" wrote
in message ...
Marina had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Broadband!:

You can check your actual speed on various sites, I like this
one: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
Victor, posting at 4.1 mbps...

Cool! I get 824 kbps.

Bleah. I'm on dialup and got a measly 45.5 kbps.

Two months ago, I would have thought 45.5kbs was *fast*!

I'd've loved to watch you waiting for downloads in the 300-Baud BBS
days ... When 900B became possible, we went nuts!

Um, I have waited for downloads at 300kbs. Thats when you went to
bed, and hoped you didn't lose the connection during the night!

Yowie

Was that a hard wired modem, or an acoustic one where you had to put the
receiver in the rubber cups?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old May 22nd 05, 01:27 AM
Yowie

"Adrian" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
"Duke of URL" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
"Seanette Blaylock" wrote
in message ...
Marina had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Broadband!:

You can check your actual speed on various sites, I like this
one: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
Victor, posting at 4.1 mbps...

Cool! I get 824 kbps.

Bleah. I'm on dialup and got a measly 45.5 kbps.

Two months ago, I would have thought 45.5kbs was *fast*!

I'd've loved to watch you waiting for downloads in the 300-Baud BBS
days ... When 900B became possible, we went nuts!

Um, I have waited for downloads at 300kbs. Thats when you went to
bed, and hoped you didn't lose the connection during the night!

Yowie

Was that a hard wired modem, or an acoustic one where you had to put the
receiver in the rubber cups?

I *think* it was an acoustic one, but my memory is rather fuzzy on that one.
Dunno whether I'm remembering my modem, or the ones in movies now. I do
know that 1200 baud was liked greased lightening!

Yowie