!!!! and SH*T

Old July 8th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default !!!! and SH*T

OK, first the SH*T parts...

I thought I was at the point where we could put the kittens in with Tayla
full time since they've been in there loose for as long as an hour at a
time. But yesterday, when they were playing with the stick with feathers,
Archer ran into Tayla and she beat the crap out of him - growling like she
meant it. She didn't draw any blood or rip out any fur - he's fine, just
had to stuffing scared out of him - but this was definitely not play, she
meant business. So... we have to take a step backwards and back off of her
a little bit (she's *REAL* spooky - probably the result of being kicked out
of her house into the OUT and left to fend for herself and her kittens).

Secondly, I brought my resident three to the vet on Friday to get a bivalent
(Heska) UltraNasal FVRC. That one takes effect after 48 hours - I figured
with Ben off tomorrow he could put the screened door up and let all six cats
get used to seeing and smelling each other. But... the vet didn't have any
in stock so we had to use the parental vaccine (intra-muscular injection)
which takes 2 weeks to take effect. So it's another 2 weeks before we can
even put the screen on the door (we're taking ultra precautions -
sterilizing dishes, using Purell hand sanitizer when we leave a room, etc.,
so our resident 3 don't pick up the URI virus). However, I'm thinking that
Tayla, as spooky as she is, may use the extra 2 weeks to become more
confident and relaxed (although, with humans, she's a total love bug -
crawling all over anyone who might give her a pet or two! ;)

Now the !!!!! I was at PetsMart picking up the kittens' Nutra-Max and
decided to pick up some claw clippers - I figured that if we start getting
all 6 used to claws being clipped (my resident 3 have never had it done
since they use their scratching posts and we really don't give a rat's a$$
about our raggedy a$$ furniture). That way when they do all get together
there will be less chance of blood being drawn if they do get into a scrap.

As predicted, Jessie went ballistic and, for now, still has her sharpened
claws. Demi disappeared when she saw something was up; and I'm thinking
about buying a tranquilizer gun before we even try it on Sammy. The
kittens, of course, were really easy to clip, but I was leery about Tayla
and brought out a big beach towel. However, she is such a pettin's slut
that she sat quietly on Ben's desk and let Ben clip three of her paws as
long as I was scritching and praising. We did have to use the towel to get
the last hind paw done, but it was also easy - as soon as her head was
covered she lay there quietly.

Well folks, the adventure continues! ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 8th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jul 8, 4:00 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

As predicted, Jessie went ballistic and, for now, still has her sharpened
claws. Demi disappeared when she saw something was up; and I'm thinking
about buying a tranquilizer gun before we even try it on Sammy. The
kittens, of course, were really easy to clip, but I was leery about Tayla
and brought out a big beach towel. However, she is such a pettin's slut
that she sat quietly on Ben's desk and let Ben clip three of her paws as
long as I was scritching and praising. We did have to use the towel to get
the last hind paw done, but it was also easy - as soon as her head was
covered she lay there quietly.

I started clipping Rusty's claws when I adopted him at one year old.
12 years later, it is still a struggle to clip his claws.
Now, brushing teeth is another matter. Never a problem there.

Winnie

Old July 8th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
As predicted, Jessie went ballistic and, for now, still has her sharpened
claws.

That's the reason Xoxo never has had his claws clipped.

about buying a tranquilizer gun before we even try it on Sammy. The

The big ones tend to be softies... at least in our household. Rufous
doesn't even pull back when I trim his claws.

long as I was scritching and praising. We did have to use the towel to get
the last hind paw done, but it was also easy - as soon as her head was
covered she lay there quietly.

We never clip their back claws, they are never sharp.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 8th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
As predicted, Jessie went ballistic and, for now, still has her sharpened
claws.

That's the reason Xoxo never has had his claws clipped.

about buying a tranquilizer gun before we even try it on Sammy. The

The big ones tend to be softies... at least in our household. Rufous
doesn't even pull back when I trim his claws.

You're right! After I posted this I did Sammy's and she just sat beside me
on the sofa and let me giver her a "manicure"!! ;

long as I was scritching and praising. We did have to use the towel to
get the last hind paw done, but it was also easy - as soon as her head
was covered she lay there quietly.

We never clip their back claws, they are never sharp.

Really? I've gotten some of the worst scratches when I was "bunny-kicked"
by a cat - longer and deeper than when they get me with their front claws!
I didn't do Sammy's or the kittens' back claws yet - we're taking this
slowly!!! ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Old July 9th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I've been bunny kicked as well, and it isn't so much the sharp as the
strength behind it. I think Jake could take out a pretty good chunk of
flesh with his back feet even trimmed.

Jo

Old July 9th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Kumani and Tyche shrilled when we first did it, so much so that
neighbours asked what was happening in there.

After four embarassing clippings they settled down. Tyche growls a
bit but it's all talk.

Nox threatens and curses but doesn't actually do much.

Smokey doesn't give two cares. I swear, that cat is the most mellow
creature of all time.

Good luck with Tayla and the bits. --Fil

Old July 9th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

On Jul 8, 1:00 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
OK, first the SH*T parts...

I thought I was at the point where we could put the kittens in with Tayla
full time since they've been in there loose for as long as an hour at a
time. But yesterday, when they were playing with the stick with feathers,
Archer ran into Tayla and she beat the crap out of him - growling like she
meant it. She didn't draw any blood or rip out any fur - he's fine, just
had to stuffing scared out of him - but this was definitely not play, she
meant business.

hehehehehe, reminds me of when Baby Nick tried to play with Mayhem
and Mayhem would get so fed up she would turn around and PIN Nick down
with one paw and start PUMMELING him with the other. Course she would
walk away and then Nick would get up and wanna play again.

I also remember fostering a bitty and it was playing with a ball. As
he knocked it around the carpet, Mischief was resting to the side and
glaring at him. Suddenly the ball was batted in HER direction, with
the bitty not far behind. Mischief PLANTED one paw on the ball, like
the schoolyard bully would do, and HISSED at the bitty and the bitty
poofed up and ran the other way in fear!

As predicted, Jessie went ballistic and, for now, still has her sharpened
claws. Demi disappeared when she saw something was up; and I'm thinking
about buying a tranquilizer gun before we even try it on Sammy.

I have to pick up the cats one by one and take them into the
bathroom. Mischiefis pretty easy, but Imp and Mayhem I have to
restrain like I would a cat at work. Once they are in the bathroom
and the door is shut, they quietly relent and mildly voice their
protest at having their precious claws clipped.

Purrs for the progress

Kristi