112 F. here

Old August 3rd 11, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default 112 F. here

wrote in message ...

Pat wrote:

For the last two days it's been 112 or higher - that's 44 C.

Good god! Has it ever been that hot in your area before? I don't mean
in the history of the earth or anything, but in your lifetime, anyway.

Please say yes, or I might have to curl up under the covers in a fetal
position.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

This has been an unusually hot year all over this area (I live in East
Texas). We have had 3-digit temps every day for well over a month now.
Some days have set record highs or come close to it. The temp here was 110F
today, with a heat index of 117F. I am fortunate to have good air
conditioning, but it is dreadful for those without it. Add the severe
drought to that for people in the Southern U.S., and it has already been a
very bad summer--and we still haven't gotten to the dates where we usually
have our highest temperatures. I donated some fans again this year, but
that would only bring minimal relief.

MaryL

Old August 3rd 11, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message ...

For the last two days it's been 112 or higher - that's 44 C.

Inside the house it's 91. At least it does stay a little cooler indoors.

Most of the cats are flat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have read a number of reviews for a product that is somewhat like a wet
bandana to wear around the neck. It contains beads that swell when wet
and then produce a cooling sensation when worn around the neck. I have
never tried one myself, but it might be worth trying for people who can't
escape the heat. You can find many of them on the Internet by googling.
Here are two on amazon.com:
http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Downz-Dow...g_ai_ps_t3_t_4
...And here's another version, also on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Frog...ef=pd_sbs_sg_5

Here's more information from Vermont Country Sto
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...=cross%20sells

MaryL

During a hot spell last year, a friend on another newsgroup recommended
those, so I got one. It worked great, for a few days. Then it "sprang a
leak" and the little beads kept leaking out so I had to quit using it. When
I get hot enough now, I put a cold wet cloth on the back of my neck. It
really does help. So does running cool water over my wrists, although that
is more temporary and does "waste" water.

Joy

Old August 3rd 11, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

For the last two days it's been 112 or higher - that's 44 C.

Good god! Has it ever been that hot in your area before?

I think it's a record. I've been around this area since '98 and haven't seen
it get much over 100 before. This is the hottest place I've ever lived
except for the Sacramento Valley (summer of '77 it was over 110 for at least
a month continuously - it went over 120 a few days), and Phoenix where I
only lived part of a winter, is blazing hot most of the time.

I don't think I've ever experienced a day where it went over 104 (40C), so
I can't imagine what 112 feels like. Actually, I once stepped in a hot tub
where the water was 113F, and that was unbearable. And I'm usually able
to tolerate higher temps in the water than in the air. (Example, 80 F in
the air feels hot to me, but it's a comfortable temperature in water.)

I get overheated easily in normal weather (which around here is very
temperate) - I would probably die of heatstroke where you are. I sure
hope it cools down soon!

What is that song, anyway?

I wrote it. I also wrote the melody but I've forgotten it.

I really liked it.

Joyce

--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old August 3rd 11, 09:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Pat" wrote in message ...

[...]

You might be able to make a better-quality wrap by doing it yourself. I did
a quick search for instructions. Here are two that I found (the first one
also includes a link for the water absorbing beads that are needed).
Again...note that I have never used these myself, so this information is
just based on a quick search.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5113881_make...ler-beads.html

MaryL

Old August 3rd 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"MaryL"

You might be able to make a better-quality wrap by doing it yourself. I
did a quick search for instructions. Here are two that I found (the first
one also includes a link for the water absorbing beads that are needed).
Again...note that I have never used these myself, so this information is
just based on a quick search.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5113881_make...ler-beads.html

MaryL

It's more effective to just stay wet all over. I wear thick clothes and keep
them damp. Works very well!

I started to send this post with all the quoted material unsnipped and the
news server wouldn't send it. Error message said "Too many quoted lines".
Hadn't seen that one before!

Old August 3rd 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Same here, 100+ with heat index. But it seems to effect my cats
differently. Smiley is big heavily built cat with a very thick dark
mackerel tabby coat , he's staying inside and melting on the marble
countertops. Custer is very lightly built with a thin light colored
coat, and he's loving it, I don't see much of him during the day, he's
too busy chasing lizards.
--
Nik Simpson
Old August 3rd 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

I have no idea at all how you can manage to cope with this. It must be
awful.
When I went to Germany in August, the temperature was up in the high 30's C
and it nearly killed me. Brits are not used to high temperatures. To have
it up to 44 must be so dreadful. I hope the temperature will drop soon or
you find a way of cooling down.

Speaking as Brit in N. Alabama, the answer to how we cope is air
conditioning and swimming pools :-) I was in San Diego last week which
was pleasantly cool, and one of my European colleagues said he didn't
understand why we needed air conditioning, several of us suggested he
come spend the summer in the southern US and see if still feels the same
way ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old August 3rd 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Richard Casady

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:37:11 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

For the last two days it's been 112 or higher - that's 44 C.

Inside the house it's 91. At least it does stay a little cooler indoors.

Most of the cats are flat.

I repeat the song I composed a few years back about the tomcats:

We're the Flat Boys
We forgot all about our toys
It's too hot in the house
To think of chasing a mouse
Mom won't even wear a blouse

Yeah, we're the Flat Boys
Flat as living cats can be
Laying on the floor half asleep
Too lazy to let out a peep
We're the Flat Boys!

Oh we're all Flat Boys
We blend right into the rugs
Won't let mom give us any hugs
Too hot to go for flying bugs
Feeling slow as sloppy slugs

We're being Flat Boys....
That old fan makes a lotta noise
It disturbs a poor kitty's poise
But so much heat not a one enjoys
So we be Flat Boys!

We used to live in a 4000 sq foot log cabin that was not air
conditioned. Above 90 the cats turned into what I called the " puddle
of fur "

Casady
Old August 3rd 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

wrote
CatNipped wrote:

I don't know about where Pat lives, but they've said on the news here,
for months now, that this is the hottest and driest year in recorded
history. It makes believing in global warming quite feasible.

Duh!

You're not one of those global warming deniers, are you? I hope not, you
seem way too smart for that.

Joyce

The weather is always weird somewhere.

http://blogs.forbes.com/jamestaylor/...ming-alarmism/