Human meat for cats?

Old August 5th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Default Human meat for cats?

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 5th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 21:01:43 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

Sure kitty's name isn't "audrey two"?

More! More! More!
Must be blood.
Must be fresh.
Feed me.
Feed me!
Feed me!
Feed me, Seymour

Old August 5th 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

Stan! I thought you were asking about feeding people to cats. My first
thought: don't do it, it will give them ideas.

Old August 5th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

How funny, when I read the title of this post I thought your neighbors
should begin to worry.
t...

Old August 5th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

IMO I would stay away from any seafood. It can be an allergen and it's
not something cats would eat in the wild. Boneless, skinless chicken
breast, cut into chunks, is something I give my cats on occasion. You
can cook it (plain) or give it raw. Use organic meat if possible so it
doesn't have any additives, etc.

Rabbit is another option (organic if possible, also), raw or cooked.

Do NOT give raw pork. There's a risk of pork having trichinosis (sp?)
and passing it along to the cats.

Another option is to buy chicken Liv-a-Littles, which are freeze-dried
chicken breasts. Most cats LOVE them.

Old August 5th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Stan Brown wrote:

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

We recently lost our eldest, Ripley, to diabetes. He was 16, and in
the last months all he would eat was chicken. My wife bought those
roasted chickens from the grocery deli and chopped them up just for
him.

When I was a kid, my mother had a cat who would eat nothing but cooked
calves liver.

When we did foster care for a rescue group, we used the cheapest,
stinkiest canned salmon we could find to acclimate scared or feral
newcomers. Not good as a steady diet, as I've been told it leaches
calcium out of their bones, but great for getting a scared kitty to
trust you.
Old August 5th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:34:50 -0400, Richard Evans wrote:
Stan Brown wrote:

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

We recently lost our eldest, Ripley, to diabetes. He was 16, and in
the last months all he would eat was chicken. My wife bought those
roasted chickens from the grocery deli and chopped them up just for
him.

That's better than feeding human meat! I've had kitties go for blood
while in attack mode, but I'm not about to go on a murder spree just
to keep them fed. Let them hunt humans on their own!
Old August 5th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut3852

On vet's advice I've changed Milo to an all-can diet. But I wonder
about giving him some real meat as a treat, because the canned food
isn't chewy.

So -- pros and cons of real meat or shellfish as an occasional treat?
And if okay, raw or cooked?

The only thing I would advise is no raw pork products or the flealines
may end up with worms and you with a vet bills.

Old August 6th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:42:53 -0400 from Confused :

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Kitty of Fleet Street!

LOL!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 6th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 06:32:05 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

How funny, when I read the title of this post I thought your neighbors
should begin to worry.

LOL! I thought the same thing!
---
Zob