Renal failure in younger cats

Old November 22nd 09, 05:45 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Greene

Default Renal failure in younger cats

In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
why it's becoming so common?

Old November 23rd 09, 05:52 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bill Graham

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
why it's becoming so common?

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the food. Cheap, poorly
made food, probably imported from China (or someplace similar) and with no
inspection by our government agency that is supposed to be doing things like
that, but is really just wasting the taxpayers money. If you really care
about your cats (and other pets) you should feed them fresh fish and chicken
and avoid canned "pet food". I have been told that there is a vitamin that
cats need, but I bet you can buy it separately and add it to fresh meats for
your cat. I try to feed my cats the same food that I eat myself. - At least
the meat and milk. I figure that if it doesn't hurt my kidneys, it probably
won't hurt theirs.

Old November 30th 09, 05:06 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Green

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

[...]

I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they eat
the entire carcass.

Old November 30th 09, 06:44 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bill Graham

"Kelly Green" wrote in message

[...]

Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats anything
else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted chicken....

Old December 2nd 09, 03:29 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Cats Whiskers

Cats can get into poison set out for rats and moes. This will cause renal
failure. Cats or dogs can get heartworm and if they are going down hill it
is part of the dying process. I read that the food cats and dogs get in the
stores are not so good for them as they say it is and can cause cancers and
etc. Again, if the cat gets cancer, renal failure is part of the dying
process. They are saying to make your pet's food and add vitamins and
suppliments. If the food is not good, do you think the vitamins and
suppliments are going to be any better? Will they be derived from anything
different than the food is derived from? Then, don't forget the
insectacides and pesticides can affect an outdoor cat who is in the
environment containing these things. This can be a cause of young cats
dying prematurly and renal failure. There is a number of speculations out
there.

Old December 2nd 09, 07:47 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bill Graham

"Cats Whiskers" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

What about the bones. One could get stuck in their throat or intestines.
Not good.

You have to be careful to not feed your dog chicken bones. Dogs tend to wolf
food down, and small sharp things like chicken bones can do them harm. but
cats are much more careful about what they eat, and chicken bones won't hurt
them at all.....After all, they eat fish, and other small animals like birds
and mice, and they don't get harmed by this. We don't feed our cat chicken
bones intentionally, but if we do, they will leave the bones in their dish
uneaten. It's just in a cats nature to be a fastidious eater.

Old December 2nd 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Spider[_3_]

[...]

It's worth noting that wild-caught boney food is very different to cooked
offerings from humans. Once bones are cooked, they tend to become hard and
brittle, whereas uncooked bones are more bendy and much less brittle. Take
the average fox and his stolen chicken from the hen house, for instance:
he's perfectly able to cope with it. The domestic dog, however, (which is
very closely related) mustn't eat chicken bones simply because they've been
cooked and become brittle. This means they can splinter and tear the dogs
throat and, especially, its stomach. Cats, should avoid fish bones, though.
Very few cats naturally eat fish (too much trouble for the lazy 'baskets'!)
so bones and even large scales can catch in the cat's throat.

Spider

Old December 9th 09, 05:32 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Green[_3_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Kelly Green" wrote in message

I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
eat the entire carcass.

Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted
chicken....

My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet since
it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get the entire
chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy mice at the pet
shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do that.

Old December 9th 09, 05:40 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Kelly Green[_3_]

It's really a shame. These two new shelter kitties we got last month will be
house cats only. There are too many dangers out there to let them roam free
even though we live out in the country.

I wonder how much the unnatural grain rich dry kibble foods they're being
fed has to do with the obesity, diabetes and kidney failure rate in cats
these days?!?!?!?! From what I'm reading about these foods, they're better
suited to horses and cows than to obligate carnivores. :-\

Old December 9th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Bill Graham

"Kelly Green" wrote in message
. com...

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Kelly Green" wrote in message

I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
eat the entire carcass.

Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted
chicken....

My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet
since it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get
the entire chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy mice
at the pet shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do that.

I couldn't either, but I now kind of wish I had bought a small chicken farm
when I first retired and moved up here to Oregon. By now, I would probably
have like 100 cats instead of 5......