Boyfie notices a spider

Old May 8th 12, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie notices a spider

running across my carpet. He gets into kill mode and chases it but it
disappears under my computer desk.
Next day it appears on the wall, too far up for him to get it. He watches
it disappearing into the folds of my curtains and knows he just has to wait
until it comes out.
I have a horror of big spiders, and this was a big one.

Boyfie puts his foot on them and eats them, given the chance.
Tweed

Old May 8th 12, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 05/08/2012 11:42 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
running across my carpet. He gets into kill mode and chases it but it
disappears under my computer desk.
Next day it appears on the wall, too far up for him to get it. He watches
it disappearing into the folds of my curtains and knows he just has to wait
until it comes out.
I have a horror of big spiders, and this was a big one.

Boyfie puts his foot on them and eats them, given the chance.
Tweed

If a spider is poisonous, I suppose it could harm an animal too. Keep a
spray bottle (of anything) handy , The spray will momentarily disable
the critter until you can dispatch it to insect bridge. I hate bugs of
any kind. Hairspray will work too. Best wishes. MLB
Old May 8th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MLB" wrote in message
On 05/08/2012 11:42 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
running across my carpet. He gets into kill mode and chases it but it
disappears under my computer desk.
Next day it appears on the wall, too far up for him to get it. He
watches
it disappearing into the folds of my curtains and knows he just has to
wait
until it comes out.
I have a horror of big spiders, and this was a big one.

Boyfie puts his foot on them and eats them, given the chance.
Tweed

If a spider is poisonous, I suppose it could harm an animal too. Keep a
spray bottle (of anything) handy , The spray will momentarily disable the
critter until you can dispatch it to insect bridge. I hate bugs of any
kind. Hairspray will work too. Best wishes. MLB

There are no poisonous spiders here, although they can bite.
I like almost everything but I struggle with very large spiders, they give
me the horrors.
I don't want to kill them. I got brave enough to get them in a fluffy towel
and flap it out of the window. Not ideal but beats standing on them.
Tweed

Old May 8th 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[in the UK]
There are no poisonous spiders here, although they can bite.

Not as permanent residents, but I met somebody a few months ago with
an enormous black scab on her hand that was the result of a spider
jumping out of a plant she'd brought home from the Netherlands. She
didn't know what kind of spider it was, neither could the hospital
guess. She just had to spend a couple of weeks wondering if her whole
arm was going to turn black and fall off.

I like almost everything but I struggle with very large spiders,
they give me the horrors.

The really big ones are harmless - I find them rather cute. We had
an army of them like eight-legged mice swarming over the back wall of
the house I lived in in Sydney. Now the funnelweb spider we found in
the loo one day *was* something to worry about, but they don't look
very special.

A lot of Australia's really lethal wildlife is pretty tiny - irukandji
jellyfish, blue-ringed octopus.

Old May 8th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
[in the UK]
[...]

Yes. I'm not bothered about Australian wildlife,I have a problem with big
spiders. They frighten me. I try and gather them up in a big towel if they
are in the bath and put them outside. I do not want to harm them but if they
are marching around downstairs I want Boyfie to get them.
My mother used to say if you have spiders in your house it was a good thing,
it meant you have no pollution. Pfff to that, she didn't like big spiders
any more than I did and was hoping it made me feel better.

Tweed

Old May 9th 12, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Jack Campin" wrote in message

[in the UK]
There are no poisonous spiders here, although they can bite.

The really big ones are harmless - I find them rather cute. We had
an army of them like eight-legged mice swarming over the back wall of
the house I lived in in Sydney.

Shudder

I do not like swarming bugs. One thing that makes spiders tolerable to me
is that they generally travel solo. I have heard of people having infestations
of thousands of baby spiders, but typically, I get one on the ceiling every
so often - which causes no end of yowling from a certain black cat.

Very large swarming spiders might make me go catatonic!

Now the funnelweb spider we found in the loo one day *was* something
to worry about, but they don't look very special.

Hmm. I saw a TV show about a guy who got bitten by a funnel web, and I'm
not sure exactly what happened to make this possible, but he was the first
person to be treated with an antivenom, and he made a full recovery. Since
then, I hear, Australia has antivenom available for anyone who is bitten
by a funnel web. Can someone confirm this? Yowie?

During the "dramatization" of this guy's ordeal, the spider was shown
walking around on the floor in his house (the story was true, but the
events were recreated using actors, including a spider "actor"). It was
*huge*, about the size of a tarantula. I don't know how he missed it.

Yes. I'm not bothered about Australian wildlife,I have a problem with big
spiders. They frighten me. I try and gather them up in a big towel if they
are in the bath and put them outside. I do not want to harm them but if they
are marching around downstairs I want Boyfie to get them.

One thing to think about. All spiders are venomous, but only some of them
have the ability to bite through human skin. So most of them are harmless
to us, but I don't know about the skin of a domestic cat, so I'd still
be careful. My guys don't eat spiders. Licky loves to hunt them, but he
never shows any interest in killing or eating them.

My mother used to say if you have spiders in your house it was a good thing,
it meant you have no pollution.

That's a new one. A friend of mine - a fan of spiders - says they bring
good luck, and that you should leave them alone. I do leave them alone, but
I'm not crazy about seeing a big one crawling across the ceiling right over
my head.

--
Joyce

Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
worthless human lives. -- Albert Schweitzer
Old May 9th 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I was spider-phobic even with small ones, but I addressed this. I simply
cannot do the huge ones. It makes no difference to know they cannot harm me,
they freak me out.

Tweed

Old May 9th 12, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Christina Websell wrote:
running across my carpet. He gets into kill mode and chases it but it
disappears under my computer desk.
Next day it appears on the wall, too far up for him to get it. He watches
it disappearing into the folds of my curtains and knows he just has to wait
until it comes out.
I have a horror of big spiders, and this was a big one.

Boyfie puts his foot on them and eats them, given the chance.
Tweed

Boyfie is a brave hunter, saving his mommy from the big scary spiders.

Kotyo doesn't like to eat the spiders themselves, but he *loves* to eat
their webs. If he sees a spider he will watch it, but mostly he'll leave
it alone, probably in the hopes that it will spin him a tasty web :-)
He's a strange little guy - likes cucumbers and spiderwebs and uncooked
pasta...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo