Cat Vomiting Undigested Dry Food

Old August 31st 03, 08:14 PM
Kailey11

Default Cat Vomiting Undigested Dry Food

My senior cat has started vomiting undigested/unchewed dry food. It happens on
a daily basis. For one week, I only fed him canned food and he did not vomit.
But with 3 other cats, it is a problem not to have any dry food available when
I am at work. He seems to feel fine. He keeps down canned food with no
problems. His blood/urine panels are normal and xrays showed no blockage. My
vet had the ultrasound doctor look at the xrays as well and he could not see a
problem. His teeth don't seem to be bothering him. The vet also looked at them.
Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions? Thanks!
Old August 31st 03, 09:16 PM
Sherry

My senior cat has started vomiting undigested/unchewed dry food.

My senior cat also does this. Solution was, I quit feeding him dry food. No
problem.
The other cats get dry food occasionally, especially Boots, who really prefers
it over canned. I just have to be conscientious about removing the food when
she's done with it so Yo doesn't eat itt.

Sherry

Old August 31st 03, 11:47 PM
William Hamblen

In article , PawsForThought wrote:

You could try a different brand. Maybe there is something in what you're
feeding now that he has a sensitivity to.

I had a cat that did fine with Purina Cat Chow for years until Purina
"improved" the formula. He went on Hills after that and did OK.
This was at least 15 years ago. Another possibility is hairballs.
Finally, as cats age their digestion just isn't what it used to be.
The same thing happens to humans, too.

Old September 1st 03, 12:16 AM
Kailey11

Thanks for the replies. He has been eating primarily Science Diet and Pro Plan
stuff and has never had a problem. This has all been in the last month. I will
try some other brands but still don't understand why he isn't chewing. It is
not as though he is trying to scarf up all he can get quickly as he pushes the
canned food around on his plate. That indicated teeth problems to me but the
vet said no.

Old September 1st 03, 02:35 AM
Phil P.

"Kailey11" wrote in message
My senior cat has started vomiting undigested/unchewed dry food. It

happens on
a daily basis. For one week, I only fed him canned food and he did not

vomit.
But with 3 other cats, it is a problem not to have any dry food available

when
I am at work. He seems to feel fine. He keeps down canned food with no
problems. His blood/urine panels are normal and xrays showed no blockage.

My
vet had the ultrasound doctor look at the xrays as well and he could not

see a
problem. His teeth don't seem to be bothering him. The vet also looked at

them.

The fact he stopped chewing strongly suggests a dental problem. If I were
you, I'd order dental x-rays -- which may reveal a problem that wasn't
visible or detectable during the cursory oral exam.

Phil.