Allergies, Linear Granuloma, and Diet

Old November 6th 03, 05:46 PM
Karen M.

Mary wrote:
"Karen M." wrote in message

No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so

back

off. it right

Karen is right, Phil, at least according to my vet, whom I trust and
who has had his practice for over 30 years. He said that "some cats
just get it."

Sorry, Mary. I didn't mean to clutter your post with this stuff, I'm
just tired of it from other threads. That said, I'm glad you got some
more good info from Phil. The more the merrier, right? Still keeping my
finger crossed!

Old November 6th 03, 06:27 PM
Mary

"Karen M." wrote in message

Mary wrote:
"Karen M." wrote in message

No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so

back

off. it right

Karen is right, Phil, at least according to my vet, whom I trust

and
who has had his practice for over 30 years. He said that "some

cats
just get it."

Sorry, Mary. I didn't mean to clutter your post with this stuff, I'm
just tired of it from other threads. That said, I'm glad you got

some
more good info from Phil. The more the merrier, right? Still keeping

my
finger crossed!

Karen: Usenet is weird! I understand. :-)

Old November 6th 03, 07:06 PM
Yngver

"Mary" wrote:

"Yngver" wrote in message
Mary"
wrote:

Mary, I use the Aerokat inhaler and Flovent with my cat. She is

only mildly
asthmatic but the Flovent keeps her from coughing.

Cheeky gets a shot and then it is three-four months before I notice
that her purring is a bit "thick" and shortly thereafter she coughs
that hunched, asthmatic cough. So thank god, her case appears to be
mild. My vet told me that there are cats that need the shots monthly.

Yes, the inflammation can be controlled for several months by steroid
injections, but you may find that the effects last a shorter time each time. As
Phil mentioned, there can be serious health risks associated with longterm use
of injectable cortosteroids. That's why we went right to the inhaled kind, once
we saw that prednisone cleared up her coughing almost immediately.

If you have any questions,
let me know. The Aerokat itself is not expensive but a canister of

Flovent 220
mcg 120 doses costs about $120 U.S. You might need one canister per

month if
your cat needs the standard dosage. Our cat's condition is mild so a

canister
lasts several months for us.

I think it would for me, too then.

Yes, our cat currently gets one puff 220 mcg. every other day, and since she
hasn't coughed in over a month, the vet will probably tell us to go down to the
110 mcg dosage. But most cats start with 2 puffs of the 220 mcg twice a day,
and then taper down from that.

We thought using the Aerokat would be a big battle with our cat, but

after the
first few tries, she got used to it. She doesn't mind it at all now,

and it
sure is a lot easier than trying to give her a pill.

My sweetie gets really scared when she has an attack, and she is
pretty smart, so I bet she would be fine after a few times. Thanks
again.

Yeah, some cats seem to figure out that the inhaler helps them feel better. Our
cat has done amazingly well. She's lost weight (being overweight contributed to
her asthma) and has become much more active. I didn't realize that she didn't
feel that well prior to using the Flovent. She spent most of her time sleeping
and that's why she got fat. We didn't realize she slept so much because she
didn't feel good and was all congested. The Aerokat/Flovent has made such a
wonderful difference--she has so much more energy now.

Old November 7th 03, 02:00 AM
Steve Crane

"Karen M." wrote in message ...

Phil, get off her freaking back. She offered some advice. Mary's a big
girl. She doesn't have to take it if she doesn't want to. Why are you
jumping around threads *just* to rip on her? Don't you have anything
better to do? Give your advice and lay off, the bickering is getting
ridiculous!

Karen,
I won't speak for Phil, but continuous attempts to cure every ill
known to man by suggesting a raw diet is really really dangerous.
Seriously it is extremely dangerous to offer some of the advice I have
seen on this and other NG's by the raw crowd. I've seen advice for
renal failure cats and dogs that would have killed them in very short
order. I think there is an obligation to temper the wild claims and
testimonial evidence with some facts once in awhile. Some pet's will
inevitably suffer if it isn't done.

Old November 7th 03, 02:47 AM
PawsForThought

From: (Steve Crane)

"Karen M." wrote in message

Phil, get off her freaking back. She offered some advice. Mary's a big
girl. She doesn't have to take it if she doesn't want to. Why are you
jumping around threads *just* to rip on her? Don't you have anything
better to do? Give your advice and lay off, the bickering is getting
ridiculous!

Karen,
I won't speak for Phil, but continuous attempts to cure every ill
known to man by suggesting a raw diet is really really dangerous.
Seriously it is extremely dangerous to offer some of the advice I have
seen on this and other NG's by the raw crowd. I've seen advice for
renal failure cats and dogs that would have killed them in very short
order. I think there is an obligation to temper the wild claims and
testimonial evidence with some facts once in awhile. Some pet's will
inevitably suffer if it isn't done.

Oh please, give me a freakin' break already, Steve! It's so obvious that you
have a problem with anyone who doesn't feed a commercial diet and especially
Hill's, the company YOU work for. I've never claimed a raw diet will "cure
every ill known to man" and I've never seen anyone else in this newsgroup make
that claim either. That is a bald face lie and you know it!

You just can't stand it that I tell people my experiences with Hill's products.
I wish they had worked out for my animals, but the truth is, they didn't and I
will continue to tell of my experiences, both with Hill's, other foods and a
raw diet. If you don't like it, feel free to killfile me.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe