Urgent: Home Needed for 13 year old cat in Bergen County, NJ

Old September 5th 03, 08:05 PM
Leslie Gottlieb

Default Urgent: Home Needed for 13 year old cat in Bergen County, NJ

I need to find a new loving home for my cat Inky. She is a 13 year old
small black domestic shorthaired cat with a very loud purr. She is
front declawed (no flames please). She is sweet but a little shy and
skittish. She isn't happy about our crawling baby and has been
isolated in a small bathroom for now (there is no where else for her
in our apartment). I really would like to find a new home for her so
all of us in the family can be happy.

Please reply ASAP or call 201-807-9091 if you can help. Will transport
in and around the NY/NJ/CT area.
Old September 8th 03, 01:13 AM

Leslie wrote:

I need to find a new loving home for my
cat Inky. She is a 13 year old small
black domestic shorthaired cat with a
very loud purr. She is front declawed
(no flames please). She is sweet but a
little shy and skittish. She isn't happy
about our crawling baby and has been
isolated in a small bathroom for now
(there is no where else for her in our
apartment). I really would like to find
a new home for her so all of us in the
family can be happy.
Please reply ASAP or call 201-807-9091
if you can help. Will transport in and
around the NY/NJ/CT area.

Instead of dumping your cat why don't you give as as much detail as
possible about what is going on, when it started and what you have tried
so far. I'm sure we can help you come up with a solution that does not
cause the cat to lose its home and will give you peace of mind. OK?
I'm crossposting this message to the health and behavior group as there
are a lot more people there and many have experience with babies and
cats together.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 8th 03, 02:43 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Cathy Friedmann composed with style:
I was reading Leslie's post & thinking: well, the baby isn't going
to be a baby forever, or in reality, even for long - will be a
toddler, then 2, then 3 yrs. old & in the process will be taught &
will learn how to act around Inky, the cat. IOW - it's a temporary
problem, not a permanent one. Tons of babies have grown up in the
midst of cats &/or dogs.

Cathy

I also think that babies shouldn't have the run of the house and
should be contained more than a cat should be. With my own (we didn't
even have pets at the time) he was restrained to the room we were in
when he was crawling. Baby gates.

Old September 8th 03, 08:51 PM
Robibnikoff

In article , Leslie Gottlieb
says...

I need to find a new loving home for my cat Inky. She is a 13 year old
small black domestic shorthaired cat with a very loud purr. She is
front declawed (no flames please). She is sweet but a little shy and
skittish. She isn't happy about our crawling baby and has been
isolated in a small bathroom for now (there is no where else for her
in our apartment). I really would like to find a new home for her so
all of us in the family can be happy.

Please reply ASAP or call 201-807-9091 if you can help. Will transport
in and around the NY/NJ/CT area.

My cat wasn't exactly fond of my daughter either, but she got over it. I'd try
seeing if you can somehow make this situation work out first.

However, if you're insistent on getting rid of your cat, try taking her to the
Ramapo-Bergen Animal Refuge in Oakland, NJ. I used to volunteer there (also got
one of my two cats from there) and they're a "no kill" shelter. Of course,
there's always the Teterboro Animal Shelter, but if Inky's not adopted in 30
days, she's history.

Robyn
Resident Witchypoo & EAC Spellcaster
Old September 9th 03, 07:05 AM
Cat Protector

This really burns me. A household has a baby in it and it is the cat that
gets the boot. The worst thing is the cat is blamed for the problem and the
family won't be happy until the feline is gone. I have to wonder why you are
getting rid of the cat when there are solutions that won't involve dumping a
cat off at a shelter. If you could not handle the responsibility of having a
cat then you should not have adopted her in the first place. Cats are living
breathing creatures not disposable like a beer can or your baby's diapers.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

om...

Old September 9th 03, 08:26 PM
Daedalus

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:13:09 -0500 (CDT), , wrote:

Leslie wrote:

I need to find a new loving home for my
cat Inky. She is a 13 year old small
black domestic shorthaired cat with a
very loud purr. She is front declawed
(no flames please). She is sweet but a
little shy and skittish. She isn't happy
about our crawling baby and has been
isolated in a small bathroom for now
(there is no where else for her in our
apartment). I really would like to find
a new home for her so all of us in the
family can be happy.
Please reply ASAP or call 201-807-9091
if you can help. Will transport in and
around the NY/NJ/CT area.

Instead of dumping your cat

Megan, how is putting a cat up for adoption the same as dumping? If
this person is so irresponsible as to trade a precious feline life for
a baby human life, perhaps she doesn't deserve a cat in the first
place.

I bet she beats it.

Jade

Old September 9th 03, 09:16 PM

how is putting a cat up for adoption the
same as dumping?

The cat is having innapropriate elimination problems that started when
the baby came. Instead of asking for help finding a solution (which I'm
sure there is) the owner just wants to get rid of a *13 year old* cat.
That's why it's considered "dumping."

If this person is so irresponsible as to
trade a precious feline life for a baby
human life, perhaps she doesn't deserve a
cat in the first place.

Maybe not, but I would hope she would take the offer of help and learn a
thing or two about cause and effect rather than consider the cat
disposable. It's also very difficut to adopt out an old cat with
elimination problems, and if this cat goes to a shelter it will be
killed. Sometimes people are simply ignorant and don't know there are
solutions and it's always worth a try to offer help. I would like to see
this issue resolved and the cat keep the only home it has known for the
last 13 years.

Old September 10th 03, 06:50 PM
Daedalus

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:16:35 -0500 (CDT), , wrote:

[...]

I would rater have the kitty have a good home with someone who cares
or even be put to sleep before having to spend another day with a
neglectful woman who values her baby more than her kittie.