How to travel with a cat

Old January 10th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default How to travel with a cat

I'm considering driving back to South Carolina with Persia, probably in
early March. And I'll be staying for an undetermined length of time. So
how do I transport Persia?

When I put her in her carrier she freaks out, like any cat does. She cries
and yowls and mews and complains. She just knows she's going to TED, that
guy who pokes and prods her and isn't nice.

Problem is, this time she won't be going there. It's a two or three day
drive. I can find pet friendly motels, no problem. But what do I do to
keep her calm along the long drive? Is there some herbal something that
will keep her relaxed or do I have to resort to drugs provided by her vet?

There's no way I will fly there with her in the baggage hold. No way she'll
sit quietly under the seat of a plane in front of me, either. LOL She's a
grey meezer... very vocal. So... driving we will probably go.

What about her needing a litter box? The last time I drove there I had a
dog. It was easy enough to let him out of the car to pee on a tree and do
whatever other business he had to do. I have no idea how to accomplish this
with a cat. Where do you put a litter box for a cat in a car?

I will say I have a hatchback car with plenty of room if I lay down the
seat. But I don't see letting her roam around a good idea. Maybe I could
get a cage like they have at shelters? The ones with a shelf for sleeping
with her afghan on top and a place for a small litter box and her food and
water bowls on the bottom?

Suggestions for driving with a cat for 2-3 days are welcome.

Jill

Old January 10th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 9, 8:20 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I will email my brother to see what he did when he drove WooToo from
Maryland to Connecticut when our mom passed away and I had to take in
my WooToo. For that matter, he drove WooToo from Columbus, Ohiio to
Annapolis some time previous to that. He has experience in this.

Will in New Haven

--

"I have seen the David, seen the Mona Lisa too
And I have heard Doc Watson play Columbus Stockade Blues"

Old January 10th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

here are a few things I am sure of:
-get her a harness and keep it on her totally while on the trip, even if she
despises it is a safety net for the worst case, it can have her tags and
your id attached, also if she escapes it is easier to grab the harness than
the cat.
-get the biggest cage you can if you can afford it and have the space.
-if you need a smaller cage to carry it then that is fine.
-put her litter box in the floor of the passenger side of the car. what we
use is a cheap sweater box with a lid which we close when traveling.
-get those cheap kitchen gloves from Sam's club or similar. if you have
these you can pick up kitty deposits, pull the glove off over your hand and
then discard without touching it and without having a rake or shovel in the
car to take up space and be dangerous in case of accident.
-procedure for letting her use the box:
--you get to the gas station, do everything you need to do before letting
her go.
-your gas, your bathroom break, your snack, you paid, then move the car and
lock the doors, open the box and then open the carrier. let her have a
predetermined amount of time say ten minutes, then even if she doesn't go
put her back.
--if she does go you can offer her a snack or/and a drink of water.
--if she doesn't go just offer the water.
-if she is very vocal you might get a very small kitty jail and keep it on
the front seat and have it so she can see you.
-you might look into some rescue remedy for a while before you start the
trip and while on the trip.
-I just figure the yowling is a pat of the trip and eventually they all have
to nap, they are after all cats.
-food, it seems to me that she is on a restricted diet so you might put her
daily allowance in baggies and keep today's portion with you in the front
seat so she can eat a few crunchiest as you go after the bathroom breaks.
then when you get to the hotel you can give her the balance at night, will
give her time to eat it and might afford you some sleep.
-hotel stays;
--I always keep a cat in the bathroom at night unless it yowls enough to
disturb the neighbors. safer for the cat and easier to find them, nobody
has to deal with moving mattresses the next day.
-be sure to see what kind of shower curtain there is incase this might be
shredded.
-put carrier, box and food and water in there with her.
-this is also good as if you want to leave for dinner or to get a snack she
is secure in there not loose in the room or cramped in the cage.
-I am not opposed to sedation but I avoid it unless the cat gets so stressed
it might injure their health. honestly I have never had one of any of mine
cry for more than about 45 minutes.
-another thing you might consider, not sure if it is germane to yours, but
if you have one you have to push the water on you might consider taking at
leas a couple of gallons of the water she gets at home just to make sure,
you could also pre mix the RR I think, can't remember for sure.
-you might get her medical records copied and put them in a safe place in
the car in case of an accident of she becomes ill you have records to show
a new vet.

Hope I haven't bored you to tears and sorry for the poor formatting, my
hands are sore but this is so important, not only for her safety but because
this isn't a pleasure trip for you, you may be distracted and therefore
should plan extra hard and be extra cautious, I do think it is much better
than boarding her, both for her emotional security and your wallet,

Old January 10th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I also prefer not to sedate my cats to travel. But get the sedatives just
in case. You will know if she (or you) reached a point where she really
needs them,

When we had to evacuate with three dogs and two cats into a small hotel room
for a week, one of the cats, a recently rescued feral, just wasn't handling
things well. Not the ideal conditions to make her into an indoor only cat.
I found a vet close buy and he checked her over and gave me pills for her.
He wouldn't accept payment for the office visit or for the pills. She was
fine the next few days, and very happy to get back home.

Jo

Old January 10th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm considering driving back to South Carolina with Persia, probably in
early March. And I'll be staying for an undetermined length of time. So
how do I transport Persia?
When I put her in her carrier she freaks out, like any cat does. She cries
and yowls and mews and complains. She just knows she's going to TED, that
guy who pokes and prods her and isn't nice.
Problem is, this time she won't be going there. It's a two or three day
drive. I can find pet friendly motels, no problem. But what do I do to
keep her calm along the long drive? Is there some herbal something that
will keep her relaxed or do I have to resort to drugs provided by her vet?

I can't remember your situation, but is there any way you could transport
her with another cat she knows? I've never done that distance, but for
short trips I've always found that a friend is the best sedative.

Old January 10th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
[...]

LOL Persia hates other cats. In fact, she knocked my sliding screen door
off the track once because she flung herself at it so hard trying to chase a
cat off the patio. If she were a student they'd classify her as "does not
work or play well with others".

Jill

Old January 10th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

jmcquown wrote:
I'm considering driving back to South Carolina with Persia, probably in
early March. And I'll be staying for an undetermined length of time. So
how do I transport Persia?

've moved my cats from Alabama to Florida to Georgia and back to Aabama
by car over the last 8 years.The absolutely hate being in a carrier and
make their disapproval very clear and very vocal. Fortunately they are
very well behaved if they aren't in a carrier, so they go in the back of
the car with a litterbox and water. I put a screen in the middle of the
car to keep them from joining me during the trip. The only issues is the
need for a good deal of car if you stop overnight and want to move them
into the hotel room , since they are loose in the back and escape is a
worry.

--
Nik Simpson
Old January 10th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

I'm considering driving back to South Carolina with Persia, probably in
early March. And I'll be staying for an undetermined length of time. So
how do I transport Persia?

When I put her in her carrier she freaks out, like any cat does. She cries
and yowls and mews and complains. She just knows she's going to TED, that
guy who pokes and prods her and isn't nice.

Problem is, this time she won't be going there. It's a two or three day
drive. I can find pet friendly motels, no problem. But what do I do to
keep her calm along the long drive? Is there some herbal something that
will keep her relaxed or do I have to resort to drugs provided by her vet?

First cross-country trip I made with cats, I had the same
worry, and got tranquilizers from the vet. However, they
proved unnecessary - after an hour or so of off-and-on
protest, they accepted the inevitable, and simply slept for
most of the ride. (Cats are pretty pragmatic critters -
once they realize protesting won't get them anywhere, they
usually stop.)

There's no way I will fly there with her in the baggage hold. No way she'll
sit quietly under the seat of a plane in front of me, either. LOL She's a
grey meezer... very vocal. So... driving we will probably go.

What about her needing a litter box? The last time I drove there I had a
dog. It was easy enough to let him out of the car to pee on a tree and do
whatever other business he had to do. I have no idea how to accomplish this
with a cat. Where do you put a litter box for a cat in a car?

Mine had no problem waiting until we stopped for the night
(actually, I'd head for my motel in late afternoon). First
thing I'd do after registering was bring in the cats, set up
their food dishes and a disposable litterbox in the
bathroom, shut them in, and go get my own dinner. I'd let
them have the freedom of my room, once I returned, and of
course they'd sleep on the bed with me. (Only problem was
occasionally getting them out from under the bed, the next
morning, but since I had them in harnesses with leashes
attached, there was usually something to grab hold of.)

I will say I have a hatchback car with plenty of room if I lay down the
seat. But I don't see letting her roam around a good idea. Maybe I could
get a cage like they have at shelters? The ones with a shelf for sleeping
with her afghan on top and a place for a small litter box and her food and
water bowls on the bottom?

She'll probably feel most secure in her own carrier - it's
snugger and easier to wrestle in and out of your car and
hotel rooms. Also, you can put it on the seat next to you,
and give her vocal reassurances from time to time. The
first trip, I did get a large carrier, and started out with
litterbox and bowls in it, but they ignored both when
enroute, so the next trip it was just a normal carrier.
(Big enough for both of them, because they seemed to feel
more secure together, but just space enough to stretch a bit
between naps - they got their action at night. They also
seemed happier with the carrier on the seat next to me,
rather than in the back of my Civic Hatchback, where they'd
traveled the first time. (I'd usually bring them back a
"treat" of meat or fish from my own dinner, and spend the
evening watching TV so they could lap-sit at will.)

Suggestions for driving with a cat for 2-3 days are welcome.

My first trip took nearly a week, and they did very well
with the arrangements I describe. (The trip to Arizona last
year was a piece of cake, since we only had one night in a
hotel.)
Old January 10th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:25:39 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Except siamese cats. My buddy mongo is quite capable of howling for a ten
hours nonstop. About the only thing that can shut him up for a little while
is if the humans in the car start howling along with him. He gets
out-howled. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
Old January 10th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

O. T. is my howler. I have a collapsible mesh toy box, Thomas the train
motif, and he travels in the van in that. Room enough for a sweater box,
letterbox. When we stop, my son and his family, we add food and water for
the length of the break. When I stay in a hotel, this makes a nice
confinement area for him. OK Lee, tell them how even Willow didn't spend
any hotel time in the confinement area, even got under the bed which was a
job to get her out.

travel jean Cat health & behaviour 4 August 6th 06 10:18 PM
- travel April.pdf (0/1) Our Travel Plans - April Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 1 March 12th 06 11:02 PM
- travel May.pdf (0/1) travel plans - May Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 4 March 12th 06 05:10 AM
Travel aid [email protected] Cat rescue 0 February 7th 06 01:26 PM
Travel pet cages / Airline travel with pets Richard Cat health & behaviour 17 July 26th 05 11:35 PM