Retirement reception

Old May 22nd 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Retirement reception

As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
*wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for. The
reception was held now instead of in August because so many people will be
off-campus during the summer. There was a continuous crowd of people for
the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where everyone stayed
quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not the type where
people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. I had a truly marvelous
afternoon. The food was spectacular! I think they had the largest sheet
cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name and an
inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot chicken,
veggies, fresh fruits, etc. A friend sent a *huge* beautiful floral
arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. (This friend has been my
"bridge buddy" for many years. He also used to play bridge with Mother and
Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the nursing
home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)

I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. That's rather
unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it has
been exceptionally good for me. This department has had a very high degree
of stability, and it has always been very collegial. The town is lovely,
and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. I added a sunroom a couple
of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird watching,
and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the last six years.
I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started developing interests
that will keep me busy. I'll probably do some volunteer work, and there are
a great many organizations available.

Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been here,
and all four came to the reception. Another friend took almost 140
pictures. She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
she succeeded. In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
afternoon.

So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with anticipation but also
with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
behind.

I'm going to post this same message on h+b. I usually don't like posting
the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people on this NG
don't like cross-posting.

MaryL

Old May 22nd 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

. ..
[...]

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! Obviously you are well liked,
or there wouldn't have been so many people at your party. Congratulations
on planning activities, too.

My sister is also retiring. She is a high school English teacher, and
tomorrow is her last day. She is undergoing many of the same feelings you
are.

Joy

Old May 22nd 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Heck with those who don't like cross posting. Good news has to be shared.
You have done something that a lot of people fail to do. You have developed
things to keep you off the couch. I see so many retire and then do nothing.
The sunroom sounds wonderful. Congrats on your accomplishment and I think
it is safe to say no one here is surprised that so many people showed up at
the reception, you seem like a genuinely nice person. The best for all that
is ahead for you.
. ..

Old May 22nd 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

MaryL wrote:
[...]

I hope you have a very long and happy retirement.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 22nd 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

MaryL wrote:
[...]

(snippety)
So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know
about an upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with
anticipation but also with some trepidation because it is such a
*permanent* decision and a certain degree of sadness because I am
leaving such a good experience behind.

MaryL

Congratulations! I'm glad it was a very nice reception. Your sunroom
sounds marvelous (I love watching birds) and it's good you've planned for
some activities for when you retire.

Jill

Old May 22nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

. ..
[...]

Sounds like you have been very fortunate in your department, and now in your
retirement from a distinguished career! You know we all wish you all the
best, and Holly and Duffy will be delighted to have you around more.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 22nd 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

"MaryL" ...
[...]

Congrats on your retirement, Mary, you've worked hard and deserved a
wonderful reception.
Let's hope the pictures won't be processed at Walgreens...
Best wishes to you.
Hug
Kyla

Old May 23rd 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, MaryL! 41 years in one place is quite an
accomplishment, and is sounds like the magnitude of it was recognized by
all. It's a bit early yet, but happy retirement wishes coming from here.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old May 23rd 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Congratulations! I know it's sad. But give it a month of doing exactly
what *you* want to do every day, and you'll feel a lot less sad.
Volunteering is great. You can pretty much make the rounds with the
organizations and see which ones fit you best. Sometimes volunteer
organizations *aren't* fun, because there are bossy people and silly
infighting which ultimately just hurts the organization. But there are
good ones, too.
It's time for "The MaryL Show, Starring MaryL" at your house (Well, it
*might* turn into "The Holly and Duffy Show"...but.......put yourself
first (probably for the first time for you)....you'll learn to get
used to it, and even like it!
Congratulations again!

Sherry