Cat humping

Old August 8th 03, 12:04 AM
Alison

Default Cat humping

Hi ,
I saw this problem on a behaviour forum , no one has answered it and
wondered if you had any suggestions .

* my 2 yo castrated male, who I just adopted from a shelter about one
month ago, is doing fine! The only things that concerns me is he loves
to bring towels, dish toels, clothes, dragging them by his mouth.
Then, as in a ritual, he twisted the fabric and try to mate it. I can
not have hand towels, bath towels in the bathrooms, nor dish towels in
the kitchen or any other textil object without him falling in love
with it. I tried to give him all kind of stuffed animal to please him,
but it seems he doesn't have interest on them. When I get home I can
for sure expect several pieces all around the house. He is very
affectionate and has no other problem.
He also has to lick me as if he is grooming me; he could spend a long
time cleaning me up!
How can I break this habit? *

TIA
--
Alison

http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks

Old August 10th 03, 04:04 AM
Linda Dachtyl

in article , Karen Chuplis at
wrote on 8/7/03 7:42 PM:

in article , Alison at
wrote on 8/7/03 6:04 PM:

Hi ,
I saw this problem on a behaviour forum , no one has answered it and
wondered if you had any suggestions .

* my 2 yo castrated male, who I just adopted from a shelter about one
month ago, is doing fine! The only things that concerns me is he loves
to bring towels, dish toels, clothes, dragging them by his mouth.
Then, as in a ritual, he twisted the fabric and try to mate it.

Our late cat Marshall (who we had to put to sleep in Jan. at age 13 for
heart problems) used to do this. He would yowl too at the same time. The
first time it happened I wondered.."what is wrong with this cat?"

I read something about this behavior and it is called "wool sucking" and
usually happens when a kitten is taken away from its mother too early. At
least from what I read, this seemed to be his problem. Sounds similar to
your cat.

We got Marshall when he was about 2. He was a stray or runaway and had been
fixed.

I just had to keep the laundry basket out of reach and all the clothes
picked up off the floor. Sometimes he would take towels off the counter, so
I had to hang them up out of reach.

It got to the point if I just said his name sternly he would stop, look a
little embarrassed and run away for a short time.

It is nothing to worry about...just might be embarrassing if he starts this
when you have company over!

Linda

Old August 10th 03, 04:04 AM
Linda Dachtyl