HELP,.,.. I AM MY WITS END.

Old February 7th 05, 09:54 AM
Andrew Brown

Default HELP,.,.. I AM MY WITS END.

A neighbor moved to the next street but her cat kept returning to his
old garden and surrounding gardens. From midsummer onwards this
continued and he sometimes seemed to be around for over a week. He
got thin and I took him home. He returned, I fed him and took hiom
home. The owner claimed she had kept in in for 2 weeks but it had
failed. He was always an outdoor cat and had been used at his
original house to easy access in and out of a car flap. At his new
house he had no such access and would often be deposited outside for
the whole day either from the middle of the night (his owner toldf me
she puts him out at 3am if he asks , then leaves him out. Since
November he has gradually stayed longer and longer and almost now
permanently. There are however serious problems. He wants to go
out ion the middle of the night, wants to eat at 5am wants to get up
at 6am almost EVERY night no matter how hard I try and tire him. I
have played for an hour in the late evening . It makes no difference.
I am becoming exhaustedb by the cat who never keeps still for longer
than about 3 hours. He is a jumpy nervous cat , he has bonded with
me quite well but still he is restless. This is a small flat. The
living room is not an option for sleeping (too many fragile and
valuable ornaments. The hall leads to the two bedrooms. Left in the
hall he just harasses the hell out of the occupants in the night.
Likewise, if left in the kitchen. Is thetre any solution ??? The
Cats Protecvtion League here are not always able to accept cats due to
excess demand. Can I somehow make this animal be more amenable. I
can cope with his 6am demands,. but 4 and 5 am in the midst of winter
is crazy . I am not keen on the idea of putting him out an night, but
the tiredness for me is now overwhelmiing. Any idfeas ???
Old February 7th 05, 12:16 PM

Maybe a crate at night? I'm sure he would complain at first, but
eventually would get the message if he was ignored until 6am.

We had a litter of puppies once, that once they got new homes all the
owners complained they woke up at 4 am every morning. Well, their
first 8 weeks were spent in our bedroom, and every morning at 4am dh's
alarm went off! Animals are creatures of habit!

Old February 7th 05, 03:06 PM
Karen

Well, one thing is over time he will adapt to your schedule. I will say, my
cats still get me up between 5:30 am and 6 a.m for breakfast and that is
that. It's their schedule. They don't know it's Saturday. I just feed them
and go back to bed. It's rather pleasant because then they come cuddle. I
would seriously consider a Feliway diffuser if he is a nervous jumpy cat.
They really do seem to help calm kitties down. I'm sure others here will
have some suggestions. Did you get a vet to check him (since he wasn't yours
previously) and make sure he is healthy?

om...

Old February 8th 05, 10:34 AM
Andrew Brown

"Karen" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you for all the advice received. BTW, here is the feline
discussed ! http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm
I took him to the vet a few weeks ago when it had a bad flea
infestation. The owner denied there was any problem and so I took
him myself and it was successfully treated with advantage. At the
local vets they won't sell these medicines without seeing the animal
first. The vet had a look at him, and listen to his chest, make sure
his lymph nodes were all in order, and told me thE cat appeared to be
healthy. One thing I am going to try is to allow him outside more
than I have been doing. He was always outside almost every daY. But
its been cold and so some days I do not let him out for more than a
couple of periods of half an hour to an hour. Its fairly secluded
and "cat friendly" behind these flats and he has the garden to stay
in, a small tree to climb etc. Maybe if he has more outside activity
that would make him healthily tired. Half an hour to an hour of
play in the evening does nothing to tire him and I havent always got
that much time. Its the 2nd c at I have "helped" in recent monthss,
and in the summer one cat I tried to help died because the owner would
not take her to the vet. I am really shocked by the indifference of
some owners, They are OK as long as the "furry ornament" needs only
some cat food ! So far I have not "officially" adopted him but he
does "belong" to my former neighbor who lives about 500 metres away
and she never comes for him. I took him home by car abouit 20 times
between July and ecember, and on Guy Falkes night (Nov 5th in UK is a
night of fireworks everywhere) I "rescued" him from his hiding place
under a car in my street. Most responsible people keep their animals
inside on that night , so it illustrates that the owner is not
bothered.

Again, many thanks to all who replied. I hope it all turns out OK,
either we will adapt to each other, or I will use a responsible
organisation to find a home where he would integrate better. As you
can see from http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm
I have good reasons to like him !

Thanks Andrew
Old February 8th 05, 11:33 AM
Jim Lawton

On 8 Feb 2005 02:34:55 -0800, (Andrew Brown) wrote:

Thank you for all the advice received. BTW, here is the feline
discussed !
http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm

oh! fabulous cat.

If it's food he's wanting, in the early a.m., maybe an electric feeder would
help, but our tomcat just wants company, and I've just got acclimatised to
various cat disturbances after about 6:20.

Jim
Old February 8th 05, 12:36 PM
Karen Chuplis

Again, many thanks to all who replied. I hope it all turns out OK,
either we will adapt to each other, or I will use a responsible
organisation to find a home where he would integrate better. As you
can see from http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm
I have good reasons to like him !

Thanks Andrew

He is indeed a cutie and looks young. Young is half your trouble there. Lots
of energy. Yes, people can be really rotten to their so called pets. It
really sounds like he has adopted you and that is generally the final word.

Old February 8th 05, 01:59 PM
Sandra

What a cutey! A bit like Memphis only not so rounded, and his white streak
goes up his face more than it does on memphis'.

--
Sandra

Old February 8th 05, 05:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-08, Andrew Brown penned:

Again, many thanks to all who replied. I hope it all turns out OK, either
we will adapt to each other, or I will use a responsible organisation to
find a home where he would integrate better. As you can see from
http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm I have good
reasons to like him !

What a cutie! I hope you guys work things out.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old February 8th 05, 06:28 PM
Mary

"Andrew Brown" wrote

BTW, here is the feline
discussed ! http://members.lycos.co.uk/waweldrag...0023/page1.htm

Oh, wow, what a lovely face!

[..]. I am really shocked by the indifference of
some owners, They are OK as long as the "furry ornament" needs only
some cat food !

I hear you. It makes me want to vomit.

FOAK: Cats won't stop scratching, at wit's end Preston Crawford Cat health & behaviour 33 August 27th 04 12:39 PM
I'm at wit's end with my cat... Leonessa Cat health & behaviour 80 December 8th 03 05:44 AM
At Wit's End JBHajos Cat anecdotes 28 October 5th 03 12:52 AM
Wits End kpf666 Cat health & behaviour 9 September 24th 03 04:18 AM
At wits end: Old cat, cat box Lisa Horton Cat health & behaviour 18 August 22nd 03 12:08 AM