Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box

Old January 30th 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box

Looks interesting. Anybody have one? If I buy it, I will follow up to
this with a short review.

According to reviews I have read... The large is much better than the
medium. One trick to using it is tipping it slowly so that the good
litter has a chance to move through the filter instead of falling
into the waste trap. It might be flimsy, and that might be a problem
unless you enjoy working with plastic.

Hopefully they use the same non-stick plastic as Sterilite storage
boxes.
Old February 1st 14, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

It's been available for 10 years...

Old February 11th 14, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

First impression...

Interesting. The filter is smartly designed so that you can
tilt/role it all the way onto its top without the litter falling
out of the filtered litter area once it's upside down. That area
can catch a large amount of litter (the whole height of the side),
so the litter catch consumes little space inside of the box.
Still, the box could be larger, a few inches longer. After using
100+ quart Sterlite storage boxes, the large model looks small.
I'm planning to stick a plastic sheet on the bottom to help
prevent scratching and stuck litter. At the local megastore, there
are some thin sheets of polypropylene used for cutting boards. I
might glue that material to the bottom of the litter box.

The stuck litter problem might also be user error. Maybe they
weren't using enough litter, perhaps not realizing how much the
litter catch can hold when the box is rolled.

I'm a little concerned about wasted litter. But it was able to
catch one small turd that I hadn't caught from the old box. That
100+ quart Sterilite litter box empty looks clean. Still amazed at
how those things stay clean, even after the bottom is scratched
up.
Old February 11th 14, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 03:04:03 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

So a success? The reviews are mixed. I've had a LitterRobot for over
three years and it works great, but I also have a plain old box for
power failures and just because sometimes they want to use that one.
But my main gripe with it is that it is sort of fancy and has
irregular corners, so it's tough to clean them. A litter box should
have straight corners so the scoop can get in there, not some fancy
curves.

I once had something like the Omega Paw type where you roll it over
but things stuck and it was annoying so I junked it. Maybe it's time
to try again, especially since I don't like this one.
Old February 11th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

dgk dgk somewhere.com wrote:

So a success?

I've had it since yesterday... I plan to update this later.

The first hurdle is that they are using it.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer extreme. The only thing I'd like to do at the
moment is keep it from wasting a tiny amount of good litter,
depending on how that litter moves into the disposal compartment. If
it's going around the seams, maybe some flexible glue will stop it.
Problem is, skillfully using glue is an art and I'm not familiar with
silicon glue that might be the best to use. Will see.

Again... The stuck litter problem is likely due to using too little
litter. But if you use a lot of litter, you might be more likely to
waste a tiny bit more because it might stress the plastic
filter/gate.

Some people complain about the cheap plastic fasteners being very
difficult to close. I put some silicon Teflon lubricant on them and
held them together while closing, no problem at all. They latch and
unlatch easily here.

The complaint about litter falling through the seams and onto the
floor is easily solved by using Scotch heavy-duty packaging tape.
Just put a few pieces tightly applied to the right side seam. No
problem at all.

If you don't enjoy working with plastic and are not a do-it-
yourselfer, this sort of purchase might be risky.
Old February 11th 14, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Something I'm looking to see is whether dirty litter climbs up the
sides of the box like it does with grocery store litter boxes (by
Hartz).
Old February 12th 14, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

I think the problem is solved simply by tapping on the thing when
on its side, before continuing to turn it on to its top.
Apparently that removes the tiny amount of scattered litter
sitting on various surfaces, causing it to fall into the filtered
litter area.

I just did a cycle with no used litter (no poop or pee), and ended
up with practically zero litter in the used litter cup. So
apparently I won't have to glue anything. So far, the only
modification is the heavy-duty packaging tape on the right side
(an easy fix). One neat thing about packaging tape is that it can
be removed and the surface is cleaner than it was before.

Large clumps of urine might break into two or more pieces when
they hit the (upside down) top, before causing them to roll/slide
into the used litter cup. I'm using Arm & Hammer Super Scoop
Clumping Litter, Unscented. Naturally it includes baking soda, so
maybe it isn't the hardest clumping litter. I'd prefer they not
break apart, but it's not a dealbreaker.

It's easy and fun (for litter duty).

Old February 13th 14, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large one
should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I can't imagine
anything smaller being large enough for a normal cat.
Old February 14th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 00:04:25 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large one
should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I can't imagine
anything smaller being large enough for a normal cat.

That might be a problem. I do have one big cat, he must be part Main
Coon.
Old February 14th 14, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

dgk dgk somewhere.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Don't even think about getting a "regular size" one. The large
one should be about 3 inches longer for normal size cats. I
can't imagine anything smaller being large enough for a normal
cat.

That might be a problem. I do have one big cat, he must be part
Main Coon.

I'm in the process of making what will hopefully be better. Trying
to solve two problems, the small size and the clumps breaking when
they hit the top. Preliminarily speaking, it looks easy enough to
make. Planning to use my huge 100+ quart Sterilite box, so it will
be more difficult to tip to the side, but that's the only downside
I see. Will try fishing line for the grate, and then maybe
stainless steel wire (have ordered both). If Sterilite box
material can be used for the rest of the grate, the thing will
never need cleaning.

So far, the store-bought model has two or three times required
using some spray cleaner and paper towel to wipe some urine off of
the back side. Because you know that cats don't respond well when
their litter box area gets a dirty/filthy. It's evidently too short.