cat scratching furniture

Old July 13th 03, 04:29 AM

Default cat scratching furniture

P.D wrote:

I have 3 cats and they destroyed the
furniture we had in our old place
(scratched the crap out of the couch, etc).
Besides using "Soft Paws" is there any
other products that will help in keeping the
cats away from the sofa's?

From what you have written it is apparent that you haven't given your
cats appropriate items to scratch on and so they have had no choice but
to use your furniture. The first and most important thing is that you
should'nt worry about keeping your cats away from the furniture, but
rather make a point of providing *several* attractive items for your
cats to scratch so that they have no desire to scratch the furniture.
You can't stop a cat from scratching as it is a deeply ingrained and
instinctual behavior, but you can redirect their scratching. The secret
is to give them things they know are "theirs" and (and I can't stress
this enough) make sure these items consist of textures and surfaces that
they like.

Keeping their claws trimmed regularly will also greatly minimize any
damage they might do. If you haven't done this before, there are
instructions with photos at my website which is listed in the sigline.
What type of fabric is your couch made of? If it is a rough textured
fabric you should have good luck with a *tall* sisal or burlap covered
post (don't bother with carpeted posts as they are not attractive to
most cats.) Height is a very important factor when choosing a post as
cats like to stretch up and dig their claws in, then pull down. Taller
is better. The Petsmart post in the picture at the following link is a
great option (36") and if you can afford it I would recommend you get
two or three of them to place in different areas of the house.
http://community.webtv.net/zuzu22/scratch

There is a also a burlap type post called the Karate Kat or Top Cat post
that is nice and is available online. Another important factor is
sturdiness. You want something well balanced that isn't real wobbly and
the cat won't tip over. If you're handy you can make a post or tree
customized to fit your cats' desires. There are several plans available
at my http://www.stopdeclaw.com website.

I also recommend that you get a couple of flat cardboard scratching pads
to place around the house ($5 at Target and Walmart, or $10 for an extra
wide one.) Another option is a log with the bark on it. One woman that
contacted me asking for tips on scratching sent her husband out to the
forest and he brought back a bunch of various size logs and fixed them
upright onto a base. Her cat loved this and scratches on it all the
time. Having at least one good size cat tree that the cats can really
climb and play on is very important, and these generally have at least
one part that is good for scratching. I spent about $250 for a gorgeous
tree from http://createacatcondo.com and this
thing is so well made I have no doubt that it will still be in good
shape 25 years from now.

Since it's been a scratching "free for all" at your house, once you move
it is going to take some time and patience to teach your cats that
things are different and certain items are now "off limits." It's a
simple matter of redirecting their attention to things they *can*
scratch and praising them lavishly when they oblige. If they try to
scratch things you don't want them to, you must distract them using a
"happy" voice and get their attention focused back on what you want them
to scratch, then give more praise when they oblige. One way would be to
stand by the scratching post you want them to use and scratch it with
your fingernails loud enough for them to hear it. At my house, when I do
this several cats come running and quickly dig into the post. My cats
don't need redirection as they don't scratch the furniture, but I do
this for the hell of it because they clearly have fun and get so much
pleasure from digging into the post and that makes me happy. :-)

While you are redirecting their scratching you will need to make the
items you don't want them to scratch unattractive. There is a product
called sticky paws which is basically large strips of clear double sided
tape that you apply to the areas of the furniture you don't want them to
scratch. Throws are also handy for draping over couch and chair arms
temporarily.

The scratching posts, etc. should be placed in prominent areas where the
cats and you spend time, or close to where the cats sleep as most cats
like to get in a good scratch and stretch when they wake up. Placing a
post by the entry to rooms they use often would also be good
positioning. Part of a cat's scratching is for the purpose of using
visual means (and scent from glands in the paw pads) to tell other cats
"I was here" and it makes sense that entryways would be where they would
want to leave this sort of message. I have a post that is right by the
door into my bedroom and it gets used constantly.

A post or scratching pad should be placed next to any areas where they
are scratching inappropriately as it is an area they like so that's not
something you have to guess at. Placing a post in close proximity to the
furniture will make it very easy for you to redirect their attention to
the post.

Rubbing some catnip on the posts from time to time will make then even
more enticing. The cardboard scratchers are nice to put in different
areas because they are small and very cheap. I have these as well and
the cats love them.

The fact that you will have made the furniture unpleasant to scratch,
combined with the encouragement and praise they will receive for using
the things you have provided for them will only make them want to use
them more. It is important to never yell at them or do anything like
squirt them with water as these methods do not work and will only make
your cats fearful. Positive reinforcement is very effective and
enjoyable for all. If you are consistent, eventually you should be able
to remove the tape and throws. When you get the new furniture, you
should take into consideration what your cats have shown interest in and
find fabrics that are the very opposite. Usually very smooth fabrics are
a good choice and won't entice the cats. HTH.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 13th 03, 05:08 AM
MaryL

Fantastic post, Megan. Lots of good information here.

MaryL

Old July 13th 03, 05:08 AM
MaryL

Old July 13th 03, 05:23 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 7/12/03 10:29 PM:

P.D wrote:

I have 3 cats and they destroyed the
furniture we had in our old place
(scratched the crap out of the couch, etc).
Besides using "Soft Paws" is there any
other products that will help in keeping the
cats away from the sofa's?

From what you have written it is apparent that you haven't given your
[...]

I was recently speaking to a co-worker whose father made one for the porch.
THey have a country cat, and though he is indoor outdoor, he would scratch
the paint off the posts on the porch. Since he made the tree for the porch,
the paint stays in place. So this *even* works on farm cats.

Karen

Old July 13th 03, 04:02 PM
P.D.

thanks for the info. I do have 2 rather large scratching posts now that
have rope or something wrapped around them. They do use it quite often, but
still go back to the couch sometimes.

wrote in message
P.D wrote:

I have 3 cats and they destroyed the
furniture we had in our old place
(scratched the crap out of the couch, etc).
Besides using "Soft Paws" is there any
other products that will help in keeping the
cats away from the sofa's?

From what you have written it is apparent that you haven't given your

Old July 13th 03, 04:09 PM
P.D.

The stuff is bough already, to late to change the fabric!

When you get the new furniture, you
should take into consideration what your cats have shown interest in and
find fabrics that are the very opposite. Usually very smooth fabrics are
a good choice and won't entice the cats. HTH.

That's fine for when I am home and awake, but when we are both out or
sleeping is when I think they do their most damage.

Chair Scratching Wilba Cat anecdotes 40 October 10th 04 03:05 AM
Scratching Posts Larry Osborne Cat anecdotes 15 June 24th 04 04:38 AM
Scratching Post Séan Connolly Cat health & behaviour 4 July 4th 03 11:06 AM