I'm so awdul (OT)

Old July 7th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I'm so awdul (OT)

Yowie wrote:

Disagreement is fine, healthy even. But ad hominem is never necessary in a
healthy and robust debate between intelligent grown ups. It is the mark of
those who have no better way to put their argument across.

Unfortunately, some people who are quite good at putting their argument
across also indulge in ad hominem attacks. Just because someone is smart,
well-informed, and a logical thinker, that doesn't preclude them from
being a plain ol' a$$h*l*. I've seen it plenty on Usenet.

The problem as I see it is people being jerks, not whether they're good
or bad at formulating arguments. I do think everyone's entitled to have
an opinion, and to express it, even if they're not particularly bright.
Or if they are bright, but tend to think in non-linear ways, so aren't
articulate in presenting their arguments. What they're not entitled to do
is slam other people in personal ways.

Imagine what discussions would be like if *nobody* ever insulted anyone
else personally. Some people would be brilliant, some, not so brilliant,
but all would be engaged in lively but peaceful debate.

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old July 7th 10, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be loverly?

Actually, I have been involved in discussions like that - not many,
especially not lately, but it can happen. It is delightful.

Joy

Old July 7th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Joy typed:
wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

[...]

yes, when they occur, I always feel that I've learnt a good deal - more
often about myself and my own biases than anything else, but its always a
learning experience. And a loverly one at that. Where one can still shake
hands and sincerely wish the opposing side 'all the best'.

Yowie

Old July 7th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

All vegetarians I know are slim. Except the one in my team at work.
It was quite difficult keeping N fed when she was here.
If we went out for a few hours we'd have to take things to eat. 5 ft
10 - 8
stone - she needed it.

It probably has nothing to do with her being a vegetarian. It sounds like
she has an exceptionally high metabolism. If she needs to eat every few
hours, that means she's burning up calories at a high rate. I wonder if
she suffers from a bit of hyperthyroidism? Or some other metabolic
condition?
It's one thing to be thin due to a high metabolism. But if she really gets
so hungry she's practically fainting every few hours, something's going
on.
Has she ever had it checked out?

She's a doctor herself.
She has an extra-high metabolism, and it was, if we went out "are we taking
provisions..?
I've never met anyone who can eat twice as much as I do and remain so
slender.
One breakfast was not enough - there had to be "second breakfast" two hours
later - and every few hours "I think I need a little something"
She says it's quite a nuisance to have to eat so often.
Tweed

Old July 8th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it must be. It must also be rather expensive.

Joy

Old July 8th 10, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

. ..

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Germany is not really set up for vegetarians, especially in the remote place
she lives.

Despite what Joyce said she was delighted to gain weight here with all the
nice veggie options we have, like Quorn.
If Quorn travelled well I'd be sending her some every week.
It doesn't help that she hates to cook. Her stance is "I like to eat, not
to cook!"
Well, we all do, but as I have carefully explained, if I don't cook, I don't
eat ;-)

Tweed

Old July 8th 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Germany is not really set up for vegetarians, especially in the remote place
she lives.

From what I've seen of German cooking (not much, but I have gone to
one or two German restaurants), it is very meat-oriented, so what you
say makes sense to me.

Despite what Joyce said she was delighted to gain weight here with all the
nice veggie options we have, like Quorn.

I don't think I said she didn't want to gain weight, only that her
metabolism must be very high, for her to get hungry so often. It sounds
like she might not get enough calories in her usual diet, and maybe she
finally did get enough in the UK?

Joyce

--
I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman