A Catnip Fact

Old July 25th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

Default A Catnip Fact

Found this on the www. freekibble.com site today

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"...
30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved.
All 'my' kitties love the nip
Do yours?
Love
Kyla

Old July 26th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:33:38 -0700, Kyla =^..^= wrote:

Found this on the www. freekibble.com site today

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"...
30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved. All 'my' kitties love the
nip
Do yours?

Of my fourteen cats, four are crazy about fresh 'nip; the three red
tabbies can take it or leave it; the others couldn't care less. Hardly
any are even interested in the packaged dry stuff. The four that really
like it are unrelated to each other or to any of the other cats; the
three red tabbies are siblings; among the others are two pairs of
siblings - the rest are unrelated to any others.

--
Ted Davis )
Old July 26th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:33:38 -0700, Kyla =^..^= wrote:

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"... 30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved. All 'my' kitties love the
nip
Do yours?

Of my fourteen cats, four are crazy about fresh 'nip; the three red
tabbies can take it or leave it; the others couldn't care less. Hardly
any are even interested in the packaged dry stuff. The four that really
like it are unrelated to each other or to any of the other cats; the
three red tabbies are siblings; among the others are two pairs of
siblings - the rest are unrelated to any others.

All mine love it, but especially Licky. I've always heard that males
are more susceptible, so that doesn't surprise me. But Roxy and Smudge
do pretty well for themselves when they get some, too.

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old July 26th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

"Ted Davis"
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:33:38 -0700, Kyla =^..^= wrote:

Found this on the www. freekibble.com site today

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"...
30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved. All 'my' kitties love the
nip
Do yours?

Of my fourteen cats, four are crazy about fresh 'nip; the three red
tabbies can take it or leave it; the others couldn't care less. Hardly
any are even interested in the packaged dry stuff. The four that really
like it are unrelated to each other or to any of the other cats; the
three red tabbies are siblings; among the others are two pairs of
siblings - the rest are unrelated to any others.

Wow, you have 14 cats? Wonderful You must have a lot of fun.
My 4 get the natrual grown fresh dried from Kroegers, and they love it.
Sqweex, our longhair Tabby is nipped out being a 'dervish kitty' on the rug
ATM,
she is so funny. They all are LOL

Kyla

--
Ted Davis )

Old July 26th 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:35:10 -0700, Kyla =^..^= wrote:

My 4 get
the natrual grown fresh dried from Kroegers, and they love it.

Some years ago, I was given a plant a friend found growing wild on her
property. Now I have it growing wild in the cracks in my driveway, as
well as under more control in a planter and a pot. Some years, it grows
wild all around the house.

--
Ted Davis )
Old July 26th 10, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Ted Davis wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:35:10 -0700, Kyla =^..^= wrote:

My 4 get
the natrual grown fresh dried from Kroegers, and they love it.

Some years ago, I was given a plant a friend found growing wild on her
property. Now I have it growing wild in the cracks in my driveway, as
well as under more control in a planter and a pot. Some years, it grows
wild all around the house.

Our climate is somewhat harsher, although I didn't actually get to try
to overwinter catnip outside.

One year, I did have a single plant growing, but very quickly the local
cats found it, and I woke up one morning to find nothing left but a
mini-dustbowl.

--
Cheryl P.
Old July 26th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
Found this on the www. freekibble.com site today

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"...
30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved.
All 'my' kitties love the nip
Do yours?
Love
Kyla

Smudgie isn't overly excited by it. She has a couple of catnip mousies that
she likes to fling around the house but nothing really more than that. My
first cat Amy (RB) used to go totally doolally over it, writhing around the
floor and all sorts.

Sharon

Old July 26th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 25 July, 23:33, "Kyla =^..^=" wrote:
Found this on the www. freekibble.com *site today

Responding to catnip is inherited and about 70% of cats have the "Catnip
Gene"...
30% do not respond to catnip.

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved.
All 'my' kitties love the nip
Do yours?
Love
Kyla

I have three pots of catnip in the garden, which I harvest two or
three times a year, dry, and send to a friend who makes catnip mice
for our charity to sell. My three cats show no interest in the growing
plant, although they will have a sniff at fresh leaves if I pinch them
off and offer them. Very occasionally, Cav, who is the 'doctor cat'
with the most interest in herbs and grasses, will neatly bite one or
two leaves off and chew them, but it is very occasionally.

I dry the leaves in the microwave, and the fumes are heady even for a
human. That's when Cav shows an interest, he will sit in the kitchen
looking so utterly doped it's hard to keep a straight face. The dry
stems get thrown outside the back door, and Cav and Ripley will roll
around in them and play with them ecstatically. Annie is not
interested.

I post the dried catnip to my friend, and a couple of weeks later, a
parcel of catnip mice will arrive through the front door. It is very,
very important that I get to it before Cav does, because he can open
parcels, tear his way through packaging, and be rolling around in pile
of dozens of mice within ten minutes. I usually get to it before him,
and his treat is to play with the packaging, which holds a fascination
for him much greater than the three luxurious catnip plants growing
just outside the back door. It's all very odd, but you know how it
goes with cats, you just accept them as they are.

Jeanette
Old July 26th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved.
All 'my' kitties love the nip
Do yours?

Smudgie isn't overly excited by it. She has a couple of catnip mousies that
she likes to fling around the house but nothing really more than that. My
first cat Amy (RB) used to go totally doolally over it, writhing around the
floor and all sorts.

I love seeing a post about Smudgie that isn't about looking for her!

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old July 27th 10, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

wrote in message
Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

I did not know there was a 'gene' involved.
All 'my' kitties love the nip
Do yours?

Smudgie isn't overly excited by it. She has a couple of catnip mousies
that
she likes to fling around the house but nothing really more than that.
My
first cat Amy (RB) used to go totally doolally over it, writhing around
the
floor and all sorts.

I love seeing a post about Smudgie that isn't about looking for her!

Joyce

Thank you Joyce Smudgie was actually playing with her catnip mouse this
morning before I left for work! She seems to be a very changed cat, for the
moment at least. She was laying upside down with it between her front paws
with her back legs going nuts and she was chomping on it. Looks like I'd
better get her a larger supply of them! Im so happy to see her so happy!

Sharon & Smudgie