Pet Peeve...

Old August 27th 05, 11:21 PM
CatNipped

Default Pet Peeve...

I have a new one.

Maybe it's just because I have those "Trading Spaces" type shows on in the
"background" in my office a lot lately (I don't normally watch TV, but it
seems less lonely than silence lately).

When did the word "awesome" become the only descriptor left in the English
language? Each "reveal" is "awesome", each redecorated bedroom is "awesome"
every design is "awesome".

I heard a commercial the other day (on radio - it had nothing to do with
TLC) and the announcer said "awesome" three times in two sentences!!!!

This phenomenon is totally awesome.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 27th 05, 11:32 PM

CatNipped wrote:
I have a new one.

Maybe it's just because I have those "Trading Spaces" type shows on in the
"background" in my office a lot lately (I don't normally watch TV, but it
seems less lonely than silence lately).

When did the word "awesome" become the only descriptor left in the English
language? Each "reveal" is "awesome", each redecorated bedroom is "awesome"
every design is "awesome".

I heard a commercial the other day (on radio - it had nothing to do with
TLC) and the announcer said "awesome" three times in two sentences!!!!

This phenomenon is totally awesome.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Either Jeff Foxworthy or Bill Engvill has a comedy routine about that
phenomenon. The one that makes me shake my head is how they also have
this lilt at the end of every sentence? You know? Like they're asking a
question but they're really not? Like, we're going do do this room in a
chartruese theme, following the focal point which we found in the
dumpster behind the studio? And I know it will be totally awesome?

Sherry

Old August 27th 05, 11:55 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Yep! Here in Houston we have a morning radio show called Walton and Johnson
(they're risqué and sexist, but they're hilarious) and they have a policy
that they'll cut off any caller who says "you know" more than four times
during a call. I can't tell you how many times they had to hang up on a
caller.

"You know", "like", "totally", "I mean", "actually" are essential
communication tools for American's under 30 - I don't think they could
convey a thought without those words. It drives me up a wall to listen to
someone whose every 3rd word is "filler"! If I were an English teacher I'd
fail every kid in class who couldn't speak without using those
words/phrases.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 28th 05, 12:14 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-08-27, CatNipped penned:

"You know", "like", "totally", "I mean", "actually" are essential
communication tools for American's under 30 - I don't think they
could convey a thought without those words. It drives me up a wall
to listen to someone whose every 3rd word is "filler"! If I were an
English teacher I'd fail every kid in class who couldn't speak
without using those words/phrases.

[delurk]

Ahem.

No, not every American under 30.

And as long as we're generalizing about illiteracy, the plural of
American doesn't have an apostrophe. Shall I tell you about *my*
literacy pet peeve?

Sorry my first post here in a while is kinda mean =/ But come on,
now! People in glass houses and all that. CN, gotta proofread your
rants first =)

[/delurk]

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 28th 05, 01:03 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

I have a new one.

Maybe it's just because I have those "Trading Spaces" type shows on in the
"background" in my office a lot lately (I don't normally watch TV, but it
seems less lonely than silence lately).

When did the word "awesome" become the only descriptor left in the English
language? Each "reveal" is "awesome", each redecorated bedroom is "awesome"
every design is "awesome".

I heard a commercial the other day (on radio - it had nothing to do with
TLC) and the announcer said "awesome" three times in two sentences!!!!

This phenomenon is totally awesome.

I think it's an outgrowth of the schools no longer bothering
to teach such esoteric items as "vocabulary building" in
English classes. Spelling seems to have fallen by the
wayside, too - I saw a commercial the other day involving a
gigantic cob of corn, bearing a sign calling it "amazeing".
It occurred to me afterward that perhaps it was intended
as a play on words, but in that case, it would have been
spelled "a-MAIZE-ing"

Old August 28th 05, 01:20 AM
W. Leong

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

How about 'unbelievable' and 'amazing'? Seems like they are the favourite
words of a lot of interviewees.

Winnie

Old August 28th 05, 01:27 AM
Enfilade

This phenomenon is totally awesome.

I love the word awesome, but I know a few other descriptors too, like
radical and gnarly.

--Fil

Old August 28th 05, 01:27 AM
hopitus

On 2005-08-27, CatNipped penned:

[...]

ROFL. Glad to see you're feelin' better, 'Nipped, and posting again. You
know, like, I haven't had access to the cyberworld of ngs in about a month,
actually, and I mean
I missed it totally killer! (Assume you meant "killer" and not "filler"??)
If you're like, "up the wall" now, don't fall off when I lay it on you that
I'm old enough to be YO MAMA, kid, LOL. Did I "convey" anything here? Like,
a thought? Such as, if you don't wanna appear....SO last
decade.......or even worse, OLD, find another, different pet peeve to post,
kid. A last conveyance: *If it's TOO LOUD, you're too old*.(80's mantra).
What to do in Denver when you're dead: turn up the volume!

Old August 28th 05, 01:29 AM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:21:25 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

I have a new one.

Maybe it's just because I have those "Trading Spaces" type shows on in the
"background" in my office a lot lately (I don't normally watch TV, but it
seems less lonely than silence lately).

When did the word "awesome" become the only descriptor left in the English
language? Each "reveal" is "awesome", each redecorated bedroom is
"awesome" every design is "awesome".

I heard a commercial the other day (on radio - it had nothing to do with
TLC) and the announcer said "awesome" three times in two sentences!!!!

This phenomenon is totally awesome.

Hugs,

CatNipped

And my pet peeve: stupid commercials Why do advertisers think that
stupidity will sell their product? MLB

1