Wild animals at large

Old May 13th 04, 07:55 PM
Bob M

David Yehudah wrote:

Hi, Mark
A few miles from you, on Greenville Ave. just south of Walnut Hill,
there is a Chinese restaurant called Szechwan Pavilion on the bank of a
heavily wooded creek. The side facing the creek has a large verandah
with some huge trees leaning over it, and that wall is almost solid
glass. In the evening during supper hour, the cooks put food out on the
verandah for the wild animals to come up and enjoy while the patrons
watch through the windows.
Check it out. Tell Sue (the greeter) Dave sent you.
Cheers,
Dave

--
Welshmen like to sing, but to me it sounds as if someone is jumping from
a high place into a bathtub full of frogs. And every time I stepped out

I've been there and seen that Dave. That place is now closed down which
is a shame because the food was good.

Bob
--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing it's idiot.
ANYONE but Bush in 2004!

Old May 13th 04, 08:30 PM
David Yehudah

Damn, I'm sure sorry to hear that. They had good food, decent prices,
friendly employees, and a great ambiance. Glad you got a chance to eat
there.

Old May 14th 04, 02:03 AM
Christine Burel

Wow, Mark -- just be careful -- last year I had a raccoon and a skunk coming
around and a lot of people warned me about how mean raccoons can be; he and
the skunk both moved on after awhile (and I stopped putting the peanuts out
at night).
Christine
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Well, I've gotten used to the cats trying to mess with my mind. It's
the wild animals who are messing with me now.

A couple of nights ago, I started to unlatch the door so I could go
out and call for Buster. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something
grey and furry move, outside the window.

This was not Buster.

I stand and look out the window, leaving the deadbolt alone. A big,
fluffy raccoon is at the food dish, and has started to back off when I
turned the deadbolt.

As I watch, he watches me. When he sees that I am standing still, he
leans forward, grabs the bowl of cat food, and pulls it towards him.
Then he stops and thinks a minute. He walks out a ways, faces the
window, stands on his hind legs, and looks in at me.

As soon as he is certain that there really is a big human inside,
waiting to come outside, he drops down to all fours, and waddles away.

Last night, I went outside to call Buster in yet again. A nearly empty
bowl of crunchies is by my feet.

Suddenly, something furry comes running up the steps, stops at the
bowl, and looks up hopefully, in my direction.

It isn't Buster. It's his buddy the possum. And he's waiting for me to
refill the bowl. If he's waiting for me to reach down and pet him...
well, I've seen those teeth.

So I get more food, while the possum waits patiently. Carefully, I
reach down and refill the bowl.

Brer possum waits until I'm finished and digs in to the food. I swear
he nodded acknowledgment at me.

Buster must have a training program in progress...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Old May 14th 04, 02:39 AM
Lucy's Mom

My vet told me that a possum's body temp is too high to easily
incubate the rabies virus and that I should be very wary of skunks and
to a somewhat lesser extent, raccoon's. We have all three in this
part of town so I was glad of the info....

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:51:30 -0500, Steve Touchstone
wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 06:28:32 GMT, "Hopitus2" wrote:
sign
It's the raccoon you oughta be wary of.....above does not go for raccoons.
Frequently in our area rabid ones are found, after biting dogs.

And be wary of skunks, probably the biggest carrier of rabies around
here.

Old May 14th 04, 05:36 AM
Jo Firey

"Lucy's Mom" wrote in message
My vet told me that a possum's body temp is too high to easily
incubate the rabies virus and that I should be very wary of skunks and
to a somewhat lesser extent, raccoon's. We have all three in this
part of town so I was glad of the info....

I think I've heard that skunks are such a big problem because they can
sometimes carry rabies without it being fatal to them.

Jo