Purrs and prayers to all

Old May 18th 04, 07:24 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:26:30 -0400, Julie Snowshoe
yodeled:

(snip)
The fox saw me
at the same time I saw it and we both went in opposite directions. The
fox was feeding on the squirrel food

This is a hoot, considering the lengths some people go to to keep
squirrels from eating their bird food. Who keeps the foxes out of the
poor squirrels' food? ;0

Theresa

Old May 18th 04, 07:26 PM
Julie Snowshoe

Default Purrs and prayers to all

I'll never get caught up! This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it
means there are lots of posts that I get to read and enjoy.
Unfortunately, I know I'll miss someone. In particular, Pam, I'm
terribly sorry to hear about Miss Penny. We have lit a candle in her
honor and send to you and your family lots of soothing purrs.

Mark, I enjoyed the thread you started about wild critters. We have had
raccoon and possum and rabbit and of course sundry birds in our yard for
years (and one little calico kitty), but this year we have foxes. I was
out barbecuing a boston butt several weeks ago and happened to have
started it very late. It was about 11 pm and I was sitting on the patio
enjoying the quiet, and apparently being very quiet myself, when I
looked to my right and about 10 feet away was a gray fox! The fox saw me
at the same time I saw it and we both went in opposite directions. The
fox was feeding on the squirrel food I put on the ground around a pine
tree and ya'll know me, I went inside and found some chicken thighs and
put them out for Mr. Fox. Within a few days, Ms. Fox came with him. I
periodically put out dog food or table scraps, but I've learned that
foxes eat corn and berries and nuts during the Spring and Summer so I'm
not as concerned about them not getting real meat as I was initially.
They sure are pretty animals!

Purrs on the way to anyone who needs them!
Julie, Hobbes, Selena and Lacey

Old May 18th 04, 07:29 PM
Wulfdog

Speaking of wild critters. We had a raccoon come in through the cat door
for several days before he finally got brave enough to come on in and eat
while we were home watching tv. I caught him with a pair of leather gloves
and we hauled him out to a beautiful rocky shore line at the lake and turned
him loose. He seemed happy in his new home.

John

Old May 18th 04, 07:44 PM
Julie Snowshoe

Kreisleriana wrote:

This is a hoot, considering the lengths some people go to to keep
squirrels from eating their bird food. Who keeps the foxes out of the
poor squirrels' food? ;0

Well, I feed the squirrels to keep them from eating the bird food as
well as the feeders. As long as they have food they won't climb the
feeder poles. I'll admit the foxes have increased my wildlife feed
bill. They eat a lot faster and a lot more than the squirrels. What is
really amazes me is that the foxes and the opossum and raccoons will all
feed together. You'd think they'd be afraid of the foxes. Guess the
only one they all really fear is me.

Julie

Old May 19th 04, 01:37 AM
Cheryl

Julie Snowshoe dumped this in
on 18 May 2004:

We have had
raccoon and possum and rabbit and of course sundry birds in our yard
for years (and one little calico kitty), but this year we have foxes.
I was out barbecuing a boston butt several weeks ago and happened to
have started it very late. It was about 11 pm and I was sitting on
the patio enjoying the quiet, and apparently being very quiet myself,
when I looked to my right and about 10 feet away was a gray fox! The
fox saw me at the same time I saw it and we both went in opposite
directions. The fox was feeding on the squirrel food I put on the
ground around a pine tree and ya'll know me, I went inside and found
some chicken thighs and put them out for Mr. Fox. Within a few days,
Ms. Fox came with him. I periodically put out dog food or table
scraps, but I've learned that foxes eat corn and berries and nuts
during the Spring and Summer so I'm not as concerned about them not
getting real meat as I was initially.
They sure are pretty animals!

My parents have a red fox hanging around quite regularly. My mom is
worried about the next door neighbors cat who is outdoors most of the
time and my first thought was that a fox shouldn't be a threat to a cat,
but she's a smallist cat even though she is full grown; perhaps 6 lbs. I
haven't seen the fox, but it's out during the day and my parents said it
is a good sized fox. You see them more and more around here lately. Their
habitats are being converted to hoomin housing.

--
Cheryl