Cat-proofing my mattress?

Old November 27th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

Default Cat-proofing my mattress?

I have a conventional box spring and mattress that I am looking to replace
because it is just too hard.

I'd like to know if anyone knows any ways that I can reliably cat-proof the
new mattress so that my two cats, both of which have their claws, don't
sharpen their claws on it the way they did with the current mattress. (I say
"did" because they don't scratch it a lot any more but I suspect that is
because they are out of places that they can scratch on the mattress that
aren't already shredded.)

While the mattress still works fine, it looks *awful*. They have shredded it
so badly that they can literally stick the top half of their bodies into the
holes they have made - I saw Bebop, the larger of the two cats, do it once!

I will not consider declawing them so please don't even suggest it. I do not
want to banish them from my bedroom or bed either. I'm looking for some way
to deter them from sharpening their claws on the wood frame of the mattress.
In case it makes a difference, they are both 10 years old, one is male and
one is female, and they are both neutered.

Does anyone have any reliable techniques for protecting the bed from their
claw-sharpening? If so, I'd love to hear from you!

--
Rhino

Old November 27th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Rhino" wrote

I have a conventional box spring and mattress that I am looking to replace
because it is just too hard.

I'd like to know if anyone knows any ways that I can reliably cat-proof
the new mattress so that my two cats, both of which have their claws,
don't sharpen their claws on it the way they did with the current
mattress. (I say "did" because they don't scratch it a lot any more but I
suspect that is because they are out of places that they can scratch on
the mattress that aren't already shredded.)

Tell me if it is underside or upperside? Huge difference in how to work it.

While the mattress still works fine, it looks *awful*. They have shredded
it so badly that they can literally stick the top half of their bodies
into the holes they have made - I saw Bebop, the larger of the two cats,
do it once!

This sounds like underside, specifically the under part of box spring with a
mattress over it.

The fastest easiest way there is to flip the box spring over and nail a thin
plywood to the bottom. The super thin 1/4 inch stuff is enough if it's
cheaper. You can do this to the existing box springs if they are still ok
for use.

I will not consider declawing them so please don't even suggest it. I do
not want to banish them from my bedroom or bed either. I'm looking for
some way to deter them from sharpening their claws on the wood frame of
the mattress. In case it makes a difference, they are both 10 years old,
one is male and one is female, and they are both neutered.

Not a problem. I don't declaw either. It can be worked out, just need more
info.

If it's topside of the bedding getting shredded it's a different fix and not
as easy.

Old November 27th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Rhino,

I would never suggest declawing, so no worries there. I would strongly
suggest putting a scratching post near the areas they scratch, so they
scratch the post and not your bed/mattress.

Our youngest cat was scratching the boxspring near the front of our
bed, and I used Sticky Paws on that (the double sided tape sold for
deterring cat scratching). I'm not sure where the areas are, but you
could try using Sticky Paws over the area.

Rene
Old November 27th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (11/27/2010 2:34 PM):
Rhino,

I would never suggest declawing, so no worries there. I would strongly
suggest putting a scratching post near the areas they scratch, so they
scratch the post and not your bed/mattress.

Our youngest cat was scratching the boxspring near the front of our
bed, and I used Sticky Paws on that (the double sided tape sold for
deterring cat scratching). I'm not sure where the areas are, but you
could try using Sticky Paws over the area.

Rene

I second Sticky Paws. Meep has never really scratched anywhere she's
not supposed to, except in one house where a previous cat had left
"territorial marks" in a doorway. Meep felt the need to add her own
signature... Sticky Paws worked well to put a stop to that.

jmc
Old November 27th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

cshenk wrote:
"Rhino" wrote

[...]

Buy sheet plastic and cover the bed after making it. MLB
Old November 27th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, MLB exclaimed (11/27/2010 4:39 PM):
cshenk wrote:
"Rhino" wrote

[...]

Well, I think he's talking about the box spring rather than the
mattress, but that might still work. Cover the box spring with the
plastic sheet, maybe they won't like the feel of it, and it's a
relatively cheap thing to try.

jmc
Old November 28th 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Rhino" wrote

I have a conventional box spring and mattress that I am looking to replace
because it is just too hard.

I'd like to know if anyone knows any ways that I can reliably cat-proof
the new mattress so that my two cats, both of which have their claws,
don't sharpen their claws on it the way they did with the current
mattress. (I say "did" because they don't scratch it a lot any more but I
suspect that is because they are out of places that they can scratch on
the mattress that aren't already shredded.)

Tell me if it is underside or upperside? Huge difference in how to work
it.

It's definitely the box spring (I assume that's what you mean by
"underside") as opposed to the mattress ("upperside").

Old November 28th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

"MLB" wrote in message
cshenk wrote:
"Rhino" wrote

[...]

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying to cover the whole bed in a
plastic sheet, like a tarp over a car? Am I supposed to sleep on top of this
plastic cover over the bed?

I should point out that the cats claw at the wood in the box spring to wake
me up in the morning. They aren't clawing it during the day.

--
Rhino

Old November 28th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, MLB exclaimed (11/27/2010 4:39 PM):
cshenk wrote:
"Rhino" wrote

[...]

Sorry, I think the confusion is mostly my fault from describing the problem
as being with the mattress. It is actually the box spring that is getting
clawed. Putting a sheet of plastic over that sounds like an inexpensive
thing to try and doesn't get in the way of sleeping. I like it.

--
Rhino

Old November 28th 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

"Rene S." wrote in message
Rhino,

I would never suggest declawing, so no worries there. I would strongly
suggest putting a scratching post near the areas they scratch, so they
scratch the post and not your bed/mattress.

Our youngest cat was scratching the boxspring near the front of our
bed, and I used Sticky Paws on that (the double sided tape sold for
deterring cat scratching). I'm not sure where the areas are, but you
could try using Sticky Paws over the area.

I've never heard of that product. How is it different from regular
double-sided tape? I can easily come up with double-sided tape but I'm not
sure where to find Sticky Paws. (I'm in Ontario, Canada so I don't know if
Sticky Paws is carried by Canadian pet stores.)

--
Rhino