Breathing Problem After Taking him to groomer

Old May 9th 04, 04:55 AM
Janet Perez

Default Breathing Problem After Taking him to groomer

I recently took my Pomeranian dog (Pookie) to a groomer for the first
time to get a lion hair cut. The lady in the counter recommended to
give him a flea bath also, so I decided it was a good idea. Well when
I received pookie (Pomeranian) He's hair cut looked bad!! But that
wasn't my main concern once I got home I notice his breathing, like
shortness of breath, snorting, like if he had bronchitis. I also
notice that he's been licking or scratching his behind since i brought
him back.I waited until the next day to take him to the vet, the vet
said "he didnt have any water in his lungs that it might just be an
infection in his nose" so he gave me medicine to give Pookie (pom)
twice a day. Now my question is has anybody ever had this problem with
there dog? What may have cause this breathing problem? How long does
it take to cure? Or what do I need to do to cure him? Any response
back would help, I would really appreciate it. Pookie just stays under
the bed all day =0(
THANKS
Old May 9th 04, 05:10 AM
PawsForThought

From: (Janet Perez)

[...]

Hi Janet,
This is actually a cat group but I'm sorry to hear about Pookie. Sounds to me
like the groomer probably used some toxic flea bath on him. If he's still
hiding under the bed, I would highly recommend taking him back to a vet,
preferably a different vet. Good luck,

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old May 9th 04, 05:10 AM
PawsForThought

Old May 9th 04, 02:50 PM
Spot

Sounds to me like it could be a reaction to the flea bath. I would bath him
at home and not use anything other than plain old water and really rinse him
good. Even though it's probably been absorbed into the system by now
residual chemicals can still be in the fur so rinse, rinse, rinse.

Years ago we had a chi hua hus/terrior mix who acted like this just from
wearing a flea collor. She would breath heavy like she was gasping for
breath and her eyes would water.

Celeste

m...

Old May 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Sunflower

[...]

Has he had his bordatella shot? Could be the early stages of an infection.
Groomers shops are like kiddie daycare. If one animal has a respiratory
infection, then you can be sure it'll be shared.