Inappropriate Peeing

Old August 27th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Judy[_3_]

Default we need help, or else

"Christie" wrote in message
I have a calico cat that I adopted from a shelter 10 years ago and I love
her very much. A year ago she started peeing, on a wall, on a bed, on a
chair. She still uses the litter box regularly. Also, it isn't a heavy
pee, almost like she sprays. Now I know boys spray, but a spayed girl?
And not until she is 10 years old?

I brought her to a couple vets and both put her on Prozac, she is better
but still pees occasionally. The vet upped the dosage, still about 1-2
times a week she will find a spot and pee, or just back up to a wall and
squirt. We have new carpeting and furniture and my mom said we'll have to
put her to sleep, we can't keep having her do this.

Any suggestions, perferably based on your own experience? I need help
ASAP here.

Though I have no personal experience with what you're faced with, all I can
suggest is that you investigate the "no kill" shelters in your area. The
fact that your cat has a problem and you guys and your vet's haven't managed
to figure out what's going on, doesn't have to mean a death sentence for
this Calico girl.

There are other options.

Old August 27th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

I had a cat that did this when she was young. I had her spayed and the
spraying ended. You did not say if your cat was spayed or not. You sound
young since your mother is calling the shots. There are organizations
around that do low cost spaying.

Barb

Old August 27th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

The OP did state that her cat was spayed.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 28th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christie[_2_]

Though I have no personal experience with what you're faced with, all I
can suggest is that you investigate the "no kill" shelters in your area.
The fact that your cat has a problem and you guys and your vet's haven't
managed to figure out what's going on, doesn't have to mean a death
sentence for this Calico girl.

There are other options.

We have no "no kill" shelters in all of northern Wisconsin. We have enough
problem with funding any type of shelter. However, the bottom line is I
don't want her killed, I want to keep her. I'm trying DESPERATELY to find a
solution to stop this behavior. The vet has no other solutions. We've gone
through every type of litter, but like I said she uses the box for all her
business. This extra "light pee" is in addition. She has no infection, the
vet said it is behavioral and Prozac was his only suggestion. Which like I
said, she is peeing less frequently, but the dose can only be pushed up so
high for a cat.

Old August 28th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Christie" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried confining her to a utility room with her box, food, etc.?
Visiting her. Playing with her there. Letting her out after maybe half a
day, then putting her back in when she has an accident? This is the ONLY
thing that worked for us.

Old August 28th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Christie" wrote in message

Christie, the only time I have had similar, it was kidney disease that
caused early onset senility. It was before they had any good way to treat
it. They can now, but it can (from what I hear) be very expensive.