[OT] I'm In Shock!

Old April 15th 05, 03:54 PM
-L.

Karen wrote:
The thing that saved me from feeling too upset over owing a couple

thousand
(IMO as penalty for not bearing children) is that on the Amazing Race

this
week they were in India. Most Indians do not pay their taxes (in fact

NPR
just did a story this a.m.). No wonder they have no infrastructure (I

know,
I know, on top of other things, but still, you KNOW it would help). I

would
pay anything not to have to live in such chaos. Gorgeous country. Way

too
crowded. Way way way too crowded.

No kidding. I have never really complained about paying taxes. I just
wish the government spent it on more things I believed in, instead of
war.

-L.

Old April 15th 05, 03:55 PM

Precisely. Shifting the tax burden to homeowners. I'd much rather

have
an income tax and lower property taxes.

That's really an unfair burden to homeowners. I gripe about OK state
taxes, but our property taxes are only $400 a year.
Sherry

Old April 15th 05, 04:00 PM
-L.

I know how you must feel. We're getting it now that we don't have
dependants any more. Truth is, the kids cost you more when they are
struggling young adults than they ever did, trying to help them.
And the other big truth, IMO, is that people like you and me, the
middle class working America, supports the whole country. I don't

know
how much longer we can do it. It just sickens me how much of DH's
paycheck is left after taxes and insurance and Social Security.

Sherry

Again, no kidding. When my niece lived with me (she was 18 at the
time), my tax liability was more than what she made in a year. When I
figured that out, it just blew me away.

-L.

Old April 15th 05, 04:05 PM
-L.

Precisely. Shifting the tax burden to homeowners. I'd much rather

have
an income tax and lower property taxes.

That's really an unfair burden to homeowners. I gripe about OK state
taxes, but our property taxes are only $400 a year.
Sherry

I dunno about OK but here, a MAJOR portion of property taxes here go to
schools. I don't really have a problem with that other than it is
unfair to homeowners without children. Single people get shafted a lot
- taxes, insurance, etc.

-L.

Old April 15th 05, 04:10 PM
Kreisleriana

On 15 Apr 2005 08:05:46 -0700, "-L."
yodeled:

wrote:

Precisely. Shifting the tax burden to homeowners. I'd much rather

have
an income tax and lower property taxes.

That's really an unfair burden to homeowners. I gripe about OK state
taxes, but our property taxes are only $400 a year.
Sherry

I dunno about OK but here, a MAJOR portion of property taxes here go to
schools. I don't really have a problem with that other than it is
unfair to homeowners without children. Single people get shafted a lot
- taxes, insurance, etc.

-L.

I'm childless, but I recognize that I also have a responsibility to
all of society beyond just myself, and the education of children is
crucial to all our futures.

Theresa
Old April 15th 05, 04:18 PM
-L.

Kreisleriana wrote:
I'm childless, but I recognize that I also have a responsibility to
all of society beyond just myself, and the education of children is
crucial to all our futures.

Theresa

Oh, I agree. But it just seems like singles get more than their fair
share of burden for a lot of things. I was single until I was 36 and
childless until I was 40, so I have experienced life on both sides.

My health insurance, for example was only about $100 a year less than
what my boss paid for his entire family.

-L.

Old April 15th 05, 04:43 PM
Kreisleriana

On 15 Apr 2005 08:18:34 -0700, "-L."
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
I'm childless, but I recognize that I also have a responsibility to
all of society beyond just myself, and the education of children is
crucial to all our futures.

Theresa

Oh, I agree. But it just seems like singles get more than their fair
share of burden for a lot of things. I was single until I was 36 and
childless until I was 40, so I have experienced life on both sides.

My health insurance, for example was only about $100 a year less than
what my boss paid for his entire family.

I agree with you that we DO get the short end of a lot of things!!!
I've seen both sides, too. I got heartily tired of married types (and
others) just assuming I had time I didn't have, money I didn't have,
and basically no life and nothing important to do because I was (am)
single.

Theresa
Old April 15th 05, 05:01 PM

-L. wrote:
wrote:

Precisely. Shifting the tax burden to homeowners. I'd much rather

have
an income tax and lower property taxes.

That's really an unfair burden to homeowners. I gripe about OK

state
taxes, but our property taxes are only $400 a year.
Sherry

I dunno about OK but here, a MAJOR portion of property taxes here go

schools. I don't really have a problem with that other than it is
unfair to homeowners without children. Single people get shafted a

lot
- taxes, insurance, etc.

-L.

Good point. And the schools here need improvement all around. They just
passed the lottery here, and the proceeds go to the schools. And, like
they say, a lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math. :-)

Sherry

Old April 15th 05, 05:28 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

Just out of curiousity, what percentage of your income do you have to pay in
taxes?

Currently I pay about 46% of my income on income tax, then out of what is
left over, have to pay another 10% on almost everything I buy because it has
a Goods & Services tax, and there are extra hidden taxes on things like
petrol, alcohol and tobacco and probably other stuff that I am blissfully
unaware of. Then again, we do have a relatively decent health-care and
education system (although both still need improvement), and I wouldn't want
to give either of those up.

Um, I miscalulated that. Whislt I pay 46% on *some* of my wage, overall its
only about 30%. Sorry about the mistake.

Yowie

I pay a basic rate of 25% and if it exceeds a certain limit it jumps to
41,5%. And then there are the V.A.T.'s - 17% on foodstuffs, 22% on
non-edables and services (= restaurants, hotels, hairdressers...), 8% on
traffic (bus-, traintickets, taxi etc.). Don't know the "hidden" ones so
well, such as tobacco, alcohol, gasoline etc.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 15th 05, 05:38 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...

-L. wrote:
wrote:

Precisely. Shifting the tax burden to homeowners. I'd much rather
have
an income tax and lower property taxes.

That's really an unfair burden to homeowners. I gripe about OK

state
taxes, but our property taxes are only $400 a year.
Sherry

I dunno about OK but here, a MAJOR portion of property taxes here go

schools. I don't really have a problem with that other than it is
unfair to homeowners without children. Single people get shafted a

lot
- taxes, insurance, etc.

-L.

Good point. And the schools here need improvement all around. They just
passed the lottery here, and the proceeds go to the schools. And, like
they say, a lottery is just a tax on people who are bad at math. :-)

Reminds me of the joke... "The government ought to put a tax on stupidity -
they already do, it's call the lottery!" ; But then again, I'll bet those
lottery *winners* don't feel very stupid!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sherry