[OT] I'm In Shock!

Old April 14th 05, 01:57 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

Yikes! I guess they're experts, but I would get a second opinion. Is
there a TurboTax version for small businesses (you guys do have your own
company, right?)? That would be an inexpensive way of checking that.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 14th 05, 02:00 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
It's just so ironic that what we did to get us out of debt is ending up
putting us back *in* debt! sigh

Hopefully the interests will be lower. How about a home equity loan?
Those have relatively low interest rates.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 14th 05, 02:46 PM
Lesley Madigan

Um, hate to say this but every time I've been to H&R block, they've always
screwed up my return, and my return is pretty easy and the mistakes they
make so simple even I can find them.

My earliest childhood memories are sitting in a tax office. For about
7 years running my dad would get taxed as a single man and he would
send copies of all the paperwork and they would lose them and in the
end, he would grab mum, me and my two brothers and take us to the tax
office and invite the tax guy to come out and see in his words "Why I
shouldn't have to pay for enjoying myself by being single". I think
one year he suggested to my mum that they get divorced as he wasn't
getting the tax break for being married- I think he was joking!

Sorry to hear about the bad news Catnipped, have a stiff drink while
you can still afford one!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 14th 05, 02:51 PM
Helen Wheels

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Oy, what a bummer. I don't pretend to understand anything much about
USAnian taxes but that sounds like a big number. Is it all due straight
away or do you get some time?
Old April 14th 05, 03:03 PM

Oh dear! megapurrs!

Um, hate to say this but every time I've been to H&R block, they've

always
screwed up my return, and my return is pretty easy and the mistakes

they
make so simple even I can find them.

If you can afford another accountant, I'd reccomend that he or she

checks
that figure very carefully. For your sake, I hope its a screw up.

Yowie

I was a little hesitant to say that in my earlier post; becuase what
happened to us may have been an isolated incident. But screw-ups are
the real reason we sought another tax preparer.
I understand that their tax preparers are hired with no higher level
education required, and they just take a short-course in tax
preparation. I am not sure if this is true. But at least a CPA has a
degree in accounting, and the fact that they charged less than H&R, was
a bonus.

Sherry

Old April 14th 05, 03:14 PM
CatNipped

-CatNipped
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
It's just so ironic that what we did to get us out of debt is ending up
putting us back *in* debt! sigh

Hopefully the interests will be lower. How about a home equity loan? Those
have relatively low interest rates.

I don't think we could get that in time for filing Friday. I think we may
be able to get the signature loan before that -at probably about 8% interest
(which is *way* better than the 29% interest a credit card company would hit
us with - it's ironic that it was to pay off that same credit card company
that we pulled the money out of the IRA!).

I'm a *lot* confused as to the difference between *filing* and actually
*paying* taxes. Some people here have said be sure to file before the 15th,
but implied that you don't have to send a check at the same time???? I
didn't know you could do that, if that is indeed what they mean.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 14th 05, 03:16 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I am sorry. I'm not playing "I can top this"....but it's just such a
coincidence....I went to have my taxes figured today, too.
I left the CPA and stopped at a gas station to use the restroom.
Someone jiggled the door, and in my haste, I reached back and flushed
the toilet, then stood up to pull up my jeans. My car keys fell out of
my pocket, into the toilet, and flushed on down.
I had to call AAA and have the car towed home, and I had to ride home
26 miles in the cab of said tow truck with a driver who was the
weirdest human being I have ever run across, who talked incessantly all
the way home.
Now I can't find my extra key. Mustang keys have that anti-theft chip,
so I am going to have to order one from the factory, for nearly $100 if
the extra doesn't turn up somewhere.
I wasn't going to tell this story, it is the dumbest thing I have ever
done. But I just had to remind you that THINGS CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

Sherry

LOL - sorry giggle. Yes, you're right, they certainly can! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 14th 05, 03:16 PM
jmcquown

Helen Wheels wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED
DOLLARS* to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Oy, what a bummer. I don't pretend to understand anything much about
USAnian taxes but that sounds like a big number. Is it all due
straight
away or do you get some time?

From what I recall of my history lessons the USA became the USA because of
unfair religious beliefs and unfair taxes in the UK. My, how things have
changed... NOT! LOL

Jill

Old April 14th 05, 03:20 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Are you satisfied with H&R Block? I'm asking because we used to use
them, and every year their rates got higher and higher. We started
taking them to a CPA about five years ago. I was really surprised he
charged us *less* than H&R. One benefit is that he's available for any
kind of question all through the year, and doesn't charge us for that.

Well, no. They advertise that they will, for free, evaluation the last
couple of years' returns to get you "do overs" - they didn't. The girl who
did our taxes complained that she was making all those mistakes because she
was supposed to go home three hours ago - and she kept saying, "I don't
know" to every question we asked (and having to lean over and ask the guy at
the next desk) - even her supervisor couldn't answer some of our questions
like, "Can we pay with a credit card?", she told us no, but we found out
later that you can do so online and then write the voucher number on your
tax return (not that we're going to do that except as a last resort). *AND*
they charged us $300!

So, no, we're not at all satisfied with H&R Block!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 14th 05, 03:24 PM
CatNipped

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED
DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Oy, what a bummer. I don't pretend to understand anything much about
USAnian taxes but that sounds like a big number. Is it all due straight
away or do you get some time?

We have two days to come up with the money. Believe me, you *don't* want to
mess with the IRS - Al Capone killed hundreds of people and wasn't convicted
of a single murder - it was the tax men who finally put him away! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped