Placement/Movement of the Litter Boxes

Old September 10th 03, 02:41 AM
PattyC

Default Placement/Movement of the Litter Boxes

I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes. One is in the basement, 2 in an upstairs
spare bedroom. The cats use the one downstairs, but seem to me to *prefer*
the upstairs ones. Meaning, they pee routinely in the one downstairs, but
do almost all pooping upstairs, plus lots of peeing.

I've been re-thinking the litter box placement. I'm not even sure why I
once thought they needed to be upstairs, except that I was fearful they
wouldn't "find" them or something.

If I move these boxes,so that all 3 are in the same back room down in the
basement, will some weird cat-trauma result? Or are they now old enough (2
& 3 years) to know they need to find litter, know they've found it in the
basement, and not stress out over this?

It would make a ton of sense for me to have the full use of the spare
bedroom.... What do you think?

PattyC

Old September 10th 03, 05:59 AM

Patty wrote:
If I move these boxes,so that all 3 are in
the same back room down in the
basement, will some weird cat-trauma
result?

Your cats obviously prefer the upstairs boxes, and to take them away
could set up a situation for innapropriate elimination. I've seen this
happen in homes before. As a rule, there should be a litterbox on every
floor. I wouldn't change it, especially since it is obvious your cats
don't care much for the box in the basement.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 11th 03, 01:41 AM
PattyC

Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice. I think I will just leave
things as they are!

PattyC

Litter Boxes JBHajos Cat anecdotes 36 July 13th 04 02:09 PM
Automatic litter boxes Joe Canuck Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 03 03:09 AM