OT My father died

Old March 11th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT My father died

I'm sure there are those of you who remember my father and the sagas of
him and his cat Charlie. Well, they are all over as of about two hours
ago. My father succumbed to a septic infection. I spent the evening
with him as they got him transferred from the ER to ICU. He died
several hours later. He just stopped breathing. I will miss him, but I
am glad for him. He was tired of living. It had become a chore for him
and one that was painful. And he doesn't have to go through that pain
anymore. It is all over for him. I've been crying for 2 hours - just
because, I guess. But I really do feel this strong sense of relief for
him and for me. It was hard to watch him when I knew he wasn't happy.

Charlie has a designated home to go to. One of the techs at the nursing
home is going to take him. That has been arranged for a year now - when
we thought my father was going to die then. He comes complete with lots
of character and up to date shots, food, litter and litter box and good
health. I took good care of Charlie while Dad was alive. He was what
kept Dad sane and made the nursing home tolerable.

I got a couple of pictures of Dad right before they took him to the
hospital on Friday afternoon because I was borrowing a friends digital
camera. Little did I know they would be the last I would ever get to
take of him. I just figured they would do until he got well and I could
take some more. I didn't realize he would be dead less than 12 hours later.

I have a whole mix of emotions. I am glad my father has been released
from his pain. I will miss him terribly because I had come to count on
the time we spent together. That time we spent together had not always
been comfortable and now it was and I will miss that. I will miss the
nurses that I became friends with while he was in the nursing home - and
for that matter while I was in the nursing home before he was in there.
It was a comfortable place to be and I feel like they took very good
care of him there.

I feel like I am opening a new chapter of my life. One without either
of my parents since my mother died a year and some few months ago. I
will greatly miss my father and all the time it took to see him and keep
him happy. It sometimes annoyed me, but I did it because it was the
right thing to do because I loved him. Now I am so glad I did all those
things.

I am not sure how much sleep I am going to get tonight. It is already
2:20am and I am not close to sleep in spite of all the heavy duty
medications I have taken that should have knocked me on my butt. My
goal is to make it through this without having to go to the hospital. I
am doing so well. I really don't want to have to take that step
backwards. And there is so much I have to do to make plans for my
father's funeral this week that I really don't have time to go to the
hospital.

But, to be on the safe side, I am going to email my instructors about
this to let them know what has happened so that even though it is spring
break, if it spills over into the week after spring break, they will
understand what has happened and even if it doesn't spread over into
that week, they will know what has happened and will give me a bit of
leeway when I get back.

Thanks for reading through all of this. Comments are welcome.

Bridget - who just breaks out in tears suddenly every once in a while.
Old March 11th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
[...]

(((((Bridget)))) I'll be thinking of you. I'm glad you got to say goodbye,
you seem to have a peace and sense of closure for your Dad. For his sake, I
am happy he's at peace, and it's wonderful that Charlie already has a home
to go to. Charlie meant so much to your dad, I know how much comfort a 'mere
pet' brings when you are lonely.

Old March 11th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bridget" wrote in message
I'm sure there are those of you who remember my father and the sagas of
him and his cat Charlie.

Of course!

I'm so sorry for your loss. OTOH, I'm glad he isn't suffering any more,
that you were able to be on good terms with him, and that you have good
memories of time with him, and that you know you did all you could for him.

The memories probably hurt right now, but eventually they will be
comforting.

It's almost 20 years since my father died. It still hurts sometimes, but,
like yours, he was pretty miserable toward the last, and he hated being
helpless, so there is/was relief as well as pain.

(((((((((((((((Bridget))))))))))))))

Old March 11th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm very sorry, Bridget. It's never easy to lose a family member,
especially not a parent. I'm glad you got to be with him at the end,
though. And I'm sure your father appreciated all the time you spent
with him in the past year. I think your reaction of missing him is
wholly natural. Let the tears flow, they too are a fitting tribute
to your father.

(((Bridget)))
Melissa

Old March 11th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:

You probably don't know me, I usually lurk here, but I am very sorry to
hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Cathy(xyz)

Old March 11th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bridget wrote:

Thanks for reading through all of this. Comments are welcome.

Bridget - who just breaks out in tears suddenly every once in a while.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Bridget. Please take time to grieve
your Dad properly. It might be better for him to be gone, but you have
lost a lot and you shouldn't hold off on grieving for yourself because
you think he is better off. I lost my Dad when I was 24 years old, and I
think I may have been too concerned about my Mum (they'd been married 38
years) to grieve properly for myself. It's a process, it can be a long
one, so give yourelf time for it. Many many hugs and purrs on the way.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 11th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I am sorry Bridget for you loss

Old March 11th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs and hugs for you Bridget. I am so sorry for your loss.

-Caroline S.
Old March 11th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

(((((Bridget)))))

from Elisabet

Old March 11th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm glad you were able to see him before he
went. I know you'll treasure those pictures for the rest of your life. I
will light a candle for your father.

Hugs and purrs.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)