My asthmatic friend

Old March 12th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default My asthmatic friend

"pmendhall" wrote in message
Has she been tested for cat allergies? She may not be allergic to the
cat.
She should go and have a full spectrum allergy testing, she might find out
the issue is something else entirely that they did not expect.

She booked her allergist appointment one year ago and it is in two weeks
(CDN health care may be mainly free but extremely slow in some specialties).
She will find out for sure then, though she's sure she's allergic to the
cat. She is curious to find out if it is also her dog though. Yikes. I
know that the allergist she's seeing is pretty clear in advising that the
animals should be removed from the house. He said the same thing to us
about my son, though my son is holding out great so far.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 12th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Susan M wrote:
"pmendhall" wrote in message

Has she been tested for cat allergies? She may not be allergic to the
cat.
She should go and have a full spectrum allergy testing, she might find out
the issue is something else entirely that they did not expect.

She booked her allergist appointment one year ago and it is in two weeks
(CDN health care may be mainly free but extremely slow in some specialties).
She will find out for sure then, though she's sure she's allergic to the
cat. She is curious to find out if it is also her dog though. Yikes. I
know that the allergist she's seeing is pretty clear in advising that the
animals should be removed from the house. He said the same thing to us
about my son, though my son is holding out great so far.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

My cousin has asthma, and her allegist told her that she had to rehome
her cats. She gave them to her parents, then discovered that it wasn't
the cats she was allegic to, but something that they picked up in their
fur! They were indoor/outdoor cats. Once they were at her parents house
she did not have attacks when around them. She has had other cats - all
indoor - and hasn't had a problem since.

Patti
Old March 12th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Susan M wrote:

My friend is also acutely conscious of the fact that they could
re-home the cat and then find out it makes no difference anyway.

That would be very, very sad. Could they find a temporary home for him,
to see if it made any difference? I mean, besides your house?

Joyce
Old March 12th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Susan M" wrote in message
"pmendhall" wrote in message

She booked her allergist appointment one year ago and it is in two weeks
(CDN health care may be mainly free but extremely slow in some
specialties). She will find out for sure then, though she's sure she's
allergic to the cat. She is curious to find out if it is also her dog
though. Yikes. I know that the allergist she's seeing is pretty clear in
advising that the animals should be removed from the house. He said the
same thing to us about my son, though my son is holding out great so far.

Wow that is a long wait. I saw an allergist twice over the years
here in Ottawa and I didn't have to wait that long. A couple of weeks maybe.
I thought health care is better in Alberta than Ontario.
My allergist also advised me not to get a cat even when I am not allergic
to cats.
I didn't listen to him but did most of the things mentioned here.
I have wood floor and mostly blinds instead of curtains.
Rusty is not allowed in my bedroom and he knows it.

Winnie

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 12th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I've had this convo before....

I have asthma, and i work in a vet clinic, and also have three cats.

I've managed to make it work. One of my former doctors wanted me to
get rid of the cats and find a new career. This was also the quack
that said I had COPD. My new current physician and allergist say i
have asthma but am nowhere near to having COPD.

My allergist has made reccomendations such as wearing a mask at work,
which i can't do all the time. I only do it if i have to work with
rabbits, which i'm really allergic to. He says i should wear a mask
and goggles when bathing a dog, etc.

He also says i need to keep the cats out of the bedroom. That's a LONG
way from happening, cause one, i like having a cat curled up on the bed
with me. There is something soothing about lying in bed after a long
day and having something cute and furry curl up next to you and will
love you unconditionally. Also, i'm not about to have my door all
scratched up or listen to the crying.

I have a Hepa filter next to my bed and wash my sheets every week/two
weeks. I've been very lazy lately, but i try to really 'de-allergy'
the room every few months. I kick out all the cats, dust and clean
everything, and vaccuum the floor like three times and don't let the
cats in it until i'm all done.

I haven't been keeping up with the allergy shots, but i know i need to
get back into them.

Your friend's asthma must be really bad if she needs to keep an oxygen
tank nearby. And if a bouquet of lillies sets her off, that's really
harsh. for her keeping the cat out of the bedroom would definitely
have to happen. I love my babies and would do anything for them. My
family and allergist are trying to make me think of the future and my
health in the long run.

For some reason though i'm not that worried about the future. I just
try to make it through the day/week. But that's cause i'm depressed
and really don't care about how long i live right now, but i won't get
into that. I'll do the allergy shots, the wipes, the baths the wood
floors, everything. If it ever gets to that point though i still won't
get rid of them. I'd live with an oxygen mask personally rather than
give them up.

I hope everything works out of your friend.

Take care,

Kristi

Old March 12th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-11 18:51:01 -0600, "Susan M" said:

I think Foster and Smith (and of course other sources) have "daily
moist wipes" for cats, specifically designed to help keep the dander
levels as low as possible.

She was going to buy the cat wipes at my suggestion today too. Her DH
is overwrought.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

A 17 year old cat! I can understand his being incredibly torn. If they
don't use catwipes now it seems good to try, but as she has attacks
other places too, I have to wonder if the cat is really going to make a
difference not being there? That doesn't necessarily seem logical.

Old March 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Susan M" wrote in message
She booked her allergist appointment one year ago and it is in two weeks
(CDN health care may be mainly free but extremely slow in some

specialties).
She will find out for sure then, though she's sure she's allergic to the
cat. She is curious to find out if it is also her dog though. Yikes. I
know that the allergist she's seeing is pretty clear in advising that the
animals should be removed from the house. He said the same thing to us
about my son, though my son is holding out great so far.

I'm glad she has an appointment with an allergist. That is a really long
wait. I think the knee jerk reaction of most allergists is to recommend
getting rid of pets because that is what they were taught in medical school.
However, sometimes the doctor doesn't always know what is right for the
patient. I hope the testing pinpoints what is potentially the real trigger
so there is less guess work.

I have allergies and allergy induced asthma and I am constantly questioning
not always the advice my family doctor gives, but also the allergist. The
family doctor appreciates that I take and active interest in my care, the
allergist is less enthusiastic with me "questioning his knowledge".
Everytime he brings up using steroids I tell him I don't want to if I don't
have to. I also question him closely when he prescribes something to be
used year round when the asthma acts up only in the fall. Oh well, he
gets over it. I guess I'm one of his difficult patients.

I hope your friend is able to resolve the asthma issue because it is really
scary when you can't get a good breath. She has any purrs, doggie drool,
and other support that she needs from our household.

Diane

Old March 12th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Then most likely your cats are good for you in the long run. Who else is
going to be there for you like they are?? Don't give up, it does get better.
I am a depression survivor, and my cats are my preventative these days. Hugs
and purrs.

Old March 12th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...

Your friend's asthma must be really bad if she needs to keep an oxygen
tank nearby. And if a bouquet of lillies sets her off, that's really
harsh. for her keeping the cat out of the bedroom would definitely
have to happen. I love my babies and would do anything for them. My
family and allergist are trying to make me think of the future and my
health in the long run.

It's been bad ever since I've known her. Very serious.

For some reason though i'm not that worried about the future. I just
try to make it through the day/week. But that's cause i'm depressed
and really don't care about how long i live right now, but i won't get
into that. I'll do the allergy shots, the wipes, the baths the wood
floors, everything. If it ever gets to that point though i still won't
get rid of them. I'd live with an oxygen mask personally rather than
give them up.

I don't like the sounds of this Kristi. Please take care of yourself.
We're sending you purrs to feel lighter.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 12th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"pmendhall" wrote in message
"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

I must admit I am the same way, I have allergies and allergic asthma, one of
the allergens being cat dander. But the appearnac eof IBKFergus didn't
worsen (or better) my allergies. The worst thing has actually been moving
offices, and trying to convince a company that its my office and not
'something else' (ie, that they are not libel for) is exceptionally
difficult.

But yes, I'll only take my meds when I feel it necessary. If I notice I need
my inhalor more than just a couple of times a week, I start taking my
preventor, but drop it after a week or so and see how I go. I really don't
want to take drugs when unnecessary. I must admit I felt *wonderful* when
the doc put me on prednisone, but I certainly wouldn't want to take it
forever.

Yowie