ping Lesley: the Olympic police state

Old May 2nd 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default ping Lesley: the Olympic police state

"MatSav" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I nearly died when I knew we were successful in the bid. Why would we
want to?
What a waste of money.

I agree.

I know some people like sport, but really..
Do I care if a British athlete is the best in the world? No.

I find the whole concept of nations quite strange. First and foremost,
we're human beings, It doesn't matter to me where in the world anybody
comes from.

Do I want millions spent on the 2012 London Olympics? No.

But we don't have a choice, do we - as it's been partly funded from tax
trvenue. As a London Council Tax payer, I've had to pay an additional
element as well!

I tell you what the money should be better spent on. Cancer research, or
cystic fibrosis, stuff like that.

Well said.

How important is it that a Russian can jump higher than a Canadian and
why should all that money be spent on it?

It's not important where they come from, but human endeavour and
achievements should be recognised - just not with *my* money!

Yes, if they want to run, jump, cycle and swim to outdo each other, let them
fund it themselves.
I dread to think how much money that could have been spent in a better way
has been spent to build the London Olympic Stadium.
It's ridiculous.
When we were successful in getting the bid, I saw many people cheer on the
TV. I didn't.

Old May 3rd 12, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On May 2, 9:25*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
..
When we were successful in getting the bid, I saw many people cheer on the
TV. * I didn't.

Me neither- I looked at Dave and he looked at me and we both said at
the same time: "Oh f**k"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 3rd 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote:
.
When we were successful in getting the bid, I saw many people cheer on the
TV. * I didn't.

Me neither- I looked at Dave and he looked at me and we both said at
the same time: "Oh f**k"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Oh, I cheered, but I'm in NYC. Well, actually NYC was already
eliminated, I cheered then.
Old May 4th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article
, Lesley
wrote: .
When we were successful in getting the bid, I saw many people cheer on
the TV. I didn't.

Me neither- I looked at Dave and he looked at me and we both said at
the same time: "Oh f**k"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

We didn't cheer either. It's a very expensive liability we don't need at
the best of times and this is certainly not that. That money should be
spent on things that matter to most people, NHS, education, care for the
elderly, pensions and policing.

I love motor racing but I certainly don't expect or want our taxes spent
on that.

I shall avoid watching any Olympics, I dislike all sports in it and view
it as my hard earned money being totally wasted, making so many people's
lives harder, instead of helping them.

It is not a matter of national pride, it's a rip off for most of our
people. How can the Government take a pride in it when there are real
problems that this money could help alleviate. That's nothing to be proud
of but something to be ashamed of.

Judith

How much money has it cost to build this stadium? Many millions. Just so
people can prove that they can run, jump, cycle etc faster than other people
in other countries. And the point is what?
Does it matter?

Tweed

Old May 4th 12, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

wrote: .
[...]

Actually, these are the best athletes in the world and what they can
do is pretty amazing. I do like to watch, especially the events that
I'm not very familar with. But it sure could be done with less cost.
Old May 4th 12, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

In article
, Lesley
wrote: .
[...]

Reading these posts has been a learning experience for me. I've never
lived in a city that hosted them, so I didn't realize that "hosting"
means "paying for," for the city involved. I don't understand, considering
how many people are watching the Olympics worldwide, why they can't raise
enough money via advertising to pay for themselves?

I'm not a big sports fan and haven't usually been that excited about
the Olympics, but 4 years ago I did watch a number of rowing races and
it was mesmerizing. I got a taste of whatever it is that hooks so many
people into it.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old May 6th 12, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 30/04/2012 2:55 AM, Lesley wrote:
On Apr 28, 5:14 pm, Jack wrote:
This must be very near you:

The main stadium is less than 10 minutes walk from my front door- am I
excited?

NO!

The road restrictions are truly scary I face 6 weeks of struggling to
get to and from work. Things are being done that would normally draw
a public enquiry but as they are being done by LOCOQ nothing is being
said- I've actually seen a notice detailing road closures that will
make it nigh on impossible for cars to go to Straford shopping centre
(whilst of course chanelling punters through the Westfield Centre)
that said they were being passed "By the powers vested in LOCOQ"and if
there was an election for members of LOCOQ that passed me by.

Tower Hamlets helped support the Olympic bid and part of the reason
London got it was the exposure it would give places like Tower Hamlets
then the organisers reneged on a promise that the marathon would
finish in Stratford and be run along the Whitechapel/Mile End/Bow Road
stretch citing the World wouldn't want to see them so the route
finishes at the Mall or somewhere like that.They even wanted to
demolish Bow Church parts of which go back to the 1600's for the
marathon and to speed up traffic. They very nearly won but for once
English Heritage showed their teeth

Shop owners will not be allowed to display posters of any product that
isn't Olympic approved. Police are being given the right to enter the
houses of anyone who displays an anti-Olympic poster without a
warrant,

Ancient trees have been cut down in Greenwich Park so the TV cameras
covering the equestrian events can see Canary Wharf when filming.

Hackney Marshes has a large traveller community facing eviction

Allotments in Lee Valley area ripped up for no real reasons- the
original plan (in the bid) was to source produce for some of the
Olympic restaurants from there on "sustainability" grounds- but I
guess McDonald's who are the official Olympic caterers don't have a
lot of use for local vegetables

High Voltage Festival (and Glastonbury) unable to go ahead.

Residents near Victoria Park are facing the park being used every
night until 11.00-12.00 to show events on big screens up to 20,000
people expected per night (should have been 30,000 but the Friends of
Victoria Park got it reduced)

Ticketing a complete fiasco- the only people who got tickets for
events they wanted were either lucky or had friends in the right
places- many tickets for the more popular events have mostly been sold
to corporate sponsors

Hotel charges to go through the roof

Residents near Fish Island will have to deal with a temporary
nightclub that will be open until1-3am every night

"But it creates jobs"- yeah 6-8 weels minimum wage mostly- Mc Donalds
are holding "X factor" style auditions for applicants to flip burgers

Celia Hammond's animal rescue was overwhelmed getting cats out of
derelict sites- even though they were sending in rescuers with all the
appropriate certificates to work on building sites the impression was
the demolition companies were quite happy to crush cats if they didn't
get out of the way and even if they had left where would they have
gone?

Clays Lane- an area of low cost hoursing was demolished with all the
attendant pressures that then put on other London boroughs to rehouse
the people from there over people in their areas

Effect of local businesess- the road I live on is going to be
designated as an olympic route- our local minicab office won't be
allowed to park outside their base office nor round the corner. The
owners are giving serious consideration to closing for 6 weeks- the
drivers won't be able to claim dole even since they're all self-
employed and will technically still have a job so many of them will
lose 6 weeks work

If you get the impression I never wanted it here and now want it even
less you're right

We had the Olympics in 2000. Whilst not actually inthe greater city of
Sydney I'm still close enough to understand, and send my sympathies

The best thing about the Sydney Olympics, for me, was that we also had a
very well known (in Australia) satirist, John Clarke, taking the
absolute **** out of the whole process.

Being copyright, the whole series is not yet on YouTube, but I'd
encourage you to find as many "The Games" clips as you can.

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoL6...eature=related

Enjoy!

Yowie

Old May 7th 12, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote: .
[...]

I'm not trying to say that these athletes are not brilliant, they are.
Have you any idea what this London Stadium has cost to host it? Millions,
if not billions and we are all paying for it
Why?
My idea is that if all the folks who think they are better at jumping,
racing, hurdling etc should fund it themselves if they want to make a
competition about it. Then say no to hosting the Olympics.
Tweed

Old May 8th 12, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Latest on this: people living near the site being evicted so their
landlords can make a killing: