Happy Birthday Kotyo!

Old May 16th 12, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Default Happy Birthday Kotyo!

11 years ago today, a black and white little monster was born up in
Whistler, British Columbia.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...69801006612498

He had 4 brothers and one sister, all of them full of mischief, as
kittens usually are. The shelter staff at Whister named them all after
trees and bushes: Holly, Willow, Rowan, Bramble, Bracken. They called
the little monster Ash.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSiblings

When they were 2 months old, the kittens' pictures were posted on
Petfinder, and soon two of them found their forever homes. The little
monster and his remaining three brothers went on playing, making
trouble, and trying to nurse from an orange gentlecat the shelter staff
called Grandpa, because he was so tolerant of kitten antics.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...34366629574370

I saw the Whistler kittens posted on Petfinder, and fell in love with a
couple of them. But when I called the shelter, they told me that those
two kittens had already been adopted. I still wanted a kitten from that
litter, but I wasn't sure which one. They suggested that I come by and
look them over, and see which one I liked best. So, one Wednesday
morning my parents and I got in the car and made the 120+ km drive from
Vancouver to Whistler. We got there around noon and asked to see the
kitties. The Whistler shelter at the time was not very big, and they
didn't really have a kitten room. So they just let the kittens out to
play in the hallway. As soon as they were let out, they immediately
organized a raid on the supply nook where the dry cat food was kept.
Apparently stolen bits of kibble from a bag that you have torn open
yourself are tastier than the same kibble overflowing from your food bowl.

I started picking up each kitten in turn, trying to snuggle them for a
bit. Every single one of them immediately started kicking and squirming
and demanded to be let down. Every single one, except for the black and
while one with the pink nose. He just stayed in my arms for a while,
letting me hold him. After a bit, he started squirming and asked to be
let down to join his siblings' raid on the cat food again, so I let him
down. I was still not sure which kitten I wanted, although I was
strongly leaning towards getting the black and white one. But he made
the decision for me. As I was talking to the lady from the shelter, he
left off raiding the cat food, jumped up on top of a table where a cat
carrier was sitting, got inside the carrier and curled up. Obviously he
was ready to leave with me. And that was that. We left together.

I decided to change his name from Ash to Ashley, after one of the
characters in Gone with the Wind, because he looked like such a little
gentleman in that black and white tuxedo of his. However, the name just
did not stick. He was more of a wild nutty little monster than a little
gentleman at that age. And I have the photos to prove it:
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...70199728095250

At home we kept calling him Kotyo, which means "little boy kitty" in
Bulgarian. Somehow that stuck, and so that is the name that he answers to.

Kotyo liked living in our apartment in Vancouver. It had such
interesting toys living in the walls! Little gray squeeky toys that his
human called "mice". He could hear them scrambling around in there, and
sometimes they would venture out of the walls and into the apartment. He
managed to catch 2 in the 5 years we lived there. The first one he put
in his water dish during the night. He had a pot of cat grass next to
his water dish, and when he would nibble on the grass, he would often
get a few longish pieces of grass into his water. I was in the habit of
just fishing them out of the water whenever I went past the dish. I
think you can see where this story is going. I woke up one morning while
it was still mostly dark, didn't have my glasses on, walked past the
water dish and saw something long and thin floating on top of the water,
so I reached in to take it out. Instead of a blade of grass, I ended up
holding a dead mouse by the tail. I can still feel that little mouse
tail between my fingers. Brrrr! This is only one of the many reasons why
Kotyo is known among my friends and coworkers as "the little monster",
or just "the monster".

The second mouse Kotyo caught, he didn't want to share, so he didn't put
it in the water dish. He lay in ambush for that second mouse for months,
sitting on top of the washing machine in the kitchen and staring at the
kitchen floor, waiting for a foolish mouse to venture out. Eventually,
his patience was rewarded. I was in my bedroom and I heard a "thump"
from the kitchen, but didn't pay much attention to it. A few minutes
later, my mom was passing by the hallway next to the kitchen and she
said "come see how cute Kotyo is, playing with his little toy mousie". I
went to the hallway, and he was playing with a something gray. "Mom, he
doesn't have any gray toy mousies." Uh-oh. So we called my dad to take
the mouse away from him. But Kotyo didn't want to let anyone else have
his toy. So he grabbed the mouse and trotted off down the hallway, with
my dad in hot pursuit. At the end of the hallway, he turned right, into
the dining room, which led to the kitchen, which led back to the
hallway. He led my dad in circles for 5 minutes, not running from him,
just trotting fast enough that he couldn't be caught, tail held high,
with my dad hurrying behind him and repeating: "Kotyo, Kotyo, give me
that mouse. Come on, Kotyo. Come on, please, Kotyo, be a good kitty,
give me the mouse." My mom and I just stood by and laughed ourselves sick.

I could write about Kotyo for days and days, there are so many cute and
funny and sweet things that he has done over the last 11 years. But I
think I will leave some stories for next year's birthday.

Happy birthday, my sweet baby boy. May we have many more birthdays
together. And *please*, don't scare me again like you did in the last 10
days. Not unless you want a crazy woman for a meowmie.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old May 16th 12, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Happy Birthday Koyto! I'm glad he's doing well so that you can celebrate
his birthday.

--
Joy

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. -- Stephen
Wright

Old May 16th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Nadia N." wrote in message
11 years ago today, a black and white little monster was born
up in Whistler, British Columbia.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...69801006612498

snip

Happy birthday, indeed! And you have a wonderful writing style,
Nadia. You could write a book!

--
MatSav

Old May 16th 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Happy birthday, Kotyo. May you have all your favourite food in your dish on
your birthday.
I have a soft spot for tuxedo cats, Kitty FC was a black and white tuxedo,
she was a shorthair and I see your lovely boy is a longhair.
Purrs are still coming for him from here in the UK.

Tweed

Old May 17th 12, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Joy wrote:
Happy Birthday Koyto! I'm glad he's doing well so that you can celebrate
his birthday.

Thanks Joy. He spent most of his birthday napping, except when he woke
up to ask for food. Unfortunately for him, he didn't get any shrimpies,
which is what he usually gets for his birthday. But sometimes shrimpies
make him throw up, so this year, with the antibiotics and everything
else, I didn't dare give him any. He'll just have to get an extra-big
portion next year.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Old May 17th 12, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Judith Latham wrote:
Happy Birthday Kotyo.

It's so good you're feeling well enough to celebrate.

Judith

Thanks Judith. He is definitely feeling better, but he mostly slept
through his birthday. I guess he is using all his energy to heal. We
might have to do another birthday celebration for him when he is
completely recovered, with shrimpies and other goodies that I don't dare
give him today.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 17th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

MatSav wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message
11 years ago today, a black and white little monster was born
up in Whistler, British Columbia.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...69801006612498

snip

Happy birthday, indeed! And you have a wonderful writing style,
Nadia. You could write a book!

Thank you from Kotyo and from me.

Maybe I will write a book one day. Kotyo and Sweety definitely provide
enough material to fill several books :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 17th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Christina Websell wrote:
Happy birthday, Kotyo. May you have all your favourite food in your dish on
your birthday.
I have a soft spot for tuxedo cats, Kitty FC was a black and white tuxedo,
she was a shorthair and I see your lovely boy is a longhair.
Purrs are still coming for him from here in the UK.

Tweed

Thank you Tweed. I remember Kitty Farmcat. I've seen her pictures on the
site Catnipped set up for you, and she looks like a very pretty little
lady. Tuxedo kitties are the prettiest. And no, I'm not biased in the
least :-)

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 17th 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Matthew wrote:
what gorgeous little masters you are a lucky slave

Thanks Matthew. I feel especially lucky after the last 10 days.

Here is the most recent picture of the birthday boy - taken on Monday, a
few hours after he got his chest tube removed.
https://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova...78647832652914

He was determined to not let me take his picture except while he was
hiding in there, so that you couldn't see any of the various holes and
scars on his chest and sides. If it wasn't for the bandage on his paw,
you'd have no idea there was anything wrong with him...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety