(OT) Thunderbird

Old August 17th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Thunderbird

I really like Thunderbird as my newsreader. It quotes text
appropriately, which people have bitched at me for years about (not
necessarily on RPCA!) for using Outlook Express and Windows Mail. "Use
a real newsreader!"

But someone mentioned Thunderbird trying to "take over their email".
I'd like to know how to turn off the email part, if I can. I still
prefer Windows Live Mail (comes with Win 7) for email. I'm getting all
mixed up trying to switch between the two. Is there any way to disable
Thunderbird email while still keeping the newsgroup setup?

Thunderbird "help" isn't very helpful. Any info?

Jill
Old August 17th 12, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , jmcquown wrote:

But someone mentioned Thunderbird trying to "take over their email".
I'd like to know how to turn off the email part, if I can

I was probably the "someone". I recall that it took some snooping around, but
wasn't earthshakingly difficult.

Unfortunately, I'm at the office where I don't use or have Thunderbird.
Perhaps - and this is just a guess - this site's article will suffice:

http://www.digiblog.de/2010/11/compl...thunderbird-3/

Whether that would also inhibit the ability to send private replies from the
newsreader, I can't say.

Art
Old August 17th 12, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I really like Thunderbird as my newsreader. It quotes text
appropriately, which people have bitched at me for years about (not
necessarily on RPCA!) for using Outlook Express and Windows Mail. "Use
a real newsreader!"

But someone mentioned Thunderbird trying to "take over their email".
I'd like to know how to turn off the email part, if I can. I still
prefer Windows Live Mail (comes with Win 7) for email. I'm getting all
mixed up trying to switch between the two. Is there any way to disable
Thunderbird email while still keeping the newsgroup setup?

Thunderbird "help" isn't very helpful. Any info?

Jill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had that problem and asked if someone could send information by email.
Cheryl posted information to the NG. Unfortunately, I did not print it and
now cannot find it. As a result, I still am not using Thunderbird because I
do not like the fact that it picked up my personal mail. I only want
Thunderbird so that text will be quoted correctly. If anyone can direct me
to information on how to turn off that setting whereby Thunderbird picks up
mail from my default mail (which is only for personal mail, not for the
Internet or newsgroups), I will appreciate it. It looks like I need the
same information that Jill has requested.

Thanks,
MaryL

Old August 17th 12, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 8/17/2012 10:32 AM, jmcquown wrote:
I really like Thunderbird as my newsreader. It quotes text
appropriately, which people have bitched at me for years about (not
necessarily on RPCA!) for using Outlook Express and Windows Mail. "Use
a real newsreader!"

But someone mentioned Thunderbird trying to "take over their email". I'd
like to know how to turn off the email part, if I can. I still prefer
Windows Live Mail (comes with Win 7) for email. I'm getting all mixed
up trying to switch between the two. Is there any way to disable
Thunderbird email while still keeping the newsgroup setup?

Thunderbird "help" isn't very helpful. Any info?

Jill

Email and USENET accounts are completely separate, just select
"Tools-Account Settings and delete the email accounts but leave the
USENET account and it will stop downloading email but you'll still be
able to use it as a newsreader.

--
Nik Simpson
Old August 17th 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-08-17, jmcquown wrote:

But someone mentioned Thunderbird trying to "take over their email".
I'd like to know how to turn off the email part, if I can. I still
prefer Windows Live Mail (comes with Win 7) for email. I'm getting all
mixed up trying to switch between the two. Is there any way to disable
Thunderbird email while still keeping the newsgroup setup?

One way turn off email in Thunderbird is to tell Thunderbird not to
download any mail. Click on your mail account name on the left side
of the page (probably as it says in your header),
then click on "View settings for this account.", then click on "Server
Settings", and uncheck the boxes labeled "Check for new messages at
startup", "Check for new messages every xxx minutes", and "Automatically
download new messages". You may be able to simply delete the account,
but if you delete the only mail account Thunderbird might nag you about
setting up a mail account the next time it starts. Set Windows Mail as
your default mail client if you want Windows Mail as your mail client.

I use Thunderbird for my mail, but slrn for reading newsgroups.

Bud
Old August 17th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

nik Simpson wrote:
[...]

That's what I did when I used Thunderbird for Usenet and Outlook for email.
I mostly use my iPad for Usenet now, only using Thunderbird if I want to
post binaries.

--
Adrian
Old August 18th 12, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/17/2012 5:06 PM, William Hamblen wrote:
On 2012-08-17, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

That was the simplest & cleanest way to do it. I didn't want to delete
the entire email account in case one day I do decide to use Thunderbird
as my email client as well as for Usenet. This way it just doesn't
download email. Thanks, Bud!

Jill
Old August 19th 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 2012-08-17, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I also use thunderbird. I just went and changed my settings on my mail.
I wasn't the one who asked for the info but thanks for passing it along.

Ann