Wellness is back

Old June 8th 05, 11:54 AM
Joe Canuck

equalizer wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:40:13 -0400, Joe Canuck

equalizer wrote:

and outsource production to an
inferior country,

Yeah and **** you too.

-mhd

Shall we give him a list of superior quality items that originate from
Canada?

Lets see, we can start with...

CanadaArm on the Space Shuttle.

The shuttle itself is crap (made in US), but the CanadaArm works as
advertised.

"Inferior country"... LOL.

Sounds like a redneck American I heard at a truck stop just outside
Dallas one time. Of course, this was the same fellow that didn't know
how to operate the shower inside the truck stop building.

Oh yes, our water...

We ship our water down to Texas by the truckload full from the Aberfoyle
plant south of Toronto. They seem to drink it as fast as we can ship it
down there... and what do we haul back to Canada? Empty, yes empty, beer
kegs for the Labatts plant in Toronto... they drank all that too! Must
be better than that swamp water they call beer down there.

LOL

Usenet --- great source of entertainment and cause of sore sides...haha!

Hey, sorry Joe! Just trying to get to the root of the problem. Wellness
was fine, then their corporate buffoons sold out, and the production was
moved to Canada. Now the stuff sucks. What other conclusion is there?
Even Phil P and Steve Crane said that Canada's food production standards
were sub-standard. Hell, it proves your point about Wellness being bad
and Hill's (American made) being good. What else do you want??

eq

Perhaps a more diplomatic and factual approach on your part would be a
start.

The assertion that Canada's food production standards may be substandard
needs to be solidly backed up with facts and figures prior to use that
notion as a supporting argument.

My beef with "Old Mother Hubbard" is that the line of supply to the
consumer was interrupted which caused many to seek alternatives. As well
all know, cats can be fussy regarding their food... not to mention that
their digestive systems don't respond well to sudden changes.

The new standards by which "Wellness" was produced was dictated by "Old
Mother Hubbard", perhaps in an effort to reduce costs... that is the
usual reason as is the reason for outsourcing. Many company eventually
discover outsourcing is more problematic than it is worth... particulary
when their customers start leaving.

Old June 8th 05, 01:42 PM
Justin L

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:16:03 -0400, equalizer wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:01:45 GMT, Justin L
wrote:

snip

eq

Odd, I haven't noticed that with the case I just bought.

No oily film on top? The texture isn't coarser, more like Hill's? If
anything, this makes me suspect the consistency of their process. My
cans are marked W10 08:40 Best by 042808, how 'bout yours?

No film, and I am not sure how it compares to Hill's, as I have never
bought Hill's. I notice no difference, other than the cans seem a
little harder to open.
Code:
W9 09:42
BEST BY 050508

btw, which flavors of Hill's do your cats seem to like the most?
Mine seem to prefer turkey flavored foods over everything else, so I
was thinking about buying a few cans of the Hill's turkey for them.
Any suggestions?
Old June 8th 05, 05:22 PM
Steve G

Joe Canuck wrote:
(...)

The assertion that Canada's food production standards may be substandard
needs to be solidly backed up with facts and figures prior to use that
notion as a supporting argument.

Hell yes, the Canadian Wellness is rubbish. The last can I bought was
just full of ****ing hockey pucks.

Steve.

Old June 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Philip

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

Joe Canuck wrote:
(...)

The assertion that Canada's food production standards may be substandard
needs to be solidly backed up with facts and figures prior to use that
notion as a supporting argument.

Hell yes, the Canadian Wellness is rubbish. The last can I bought was
just full of ****ing hockey pucks.

Steve.

I bought two cans of Wellness. Was going to try them on my cat but ...
after all this hysteria about separating oils and quality well ... maybe I
better toss the stuff in the mother-in-law's casserole?

Old June 8th 05, 08:38 PM

equalizer wrote:

What other conclusion is there?
Even Phil P and Steve Crane said that Canada's food production standards
were sub-standard

No I don't think they said quite that, and in fact Phil acknowledged a
while back the chicken he was evaluating was made in Canada and it was
just fine. It seems the problem is the latest batch after a mysterious
lack of cans on the shelves, which indicates a change of manufacturing
suppliers perhaps.

Phil did say that his biggest fear was the manufacturing of Wellness
may revert to cost formulation if OMH chose to go that route. This has
nothing to due with Canada as plenty of US made pet foods taste like
**** as far as my cats are concerned. Made to cost formulation may be
the culprit here.

Some mad cow cases in Canada were suspected to be due to tainted feed
from the USA.

-mhd
Old June 8th 05, 08:40 PM
---MIKE---

These claims are just BS. The newer cans probably contain a little more
water which comes to the top. It still smells good and my cats like it.
Why don't you stop bad mouthing a good product.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 9th 05, 04:41 AM

equalizer wrote:

Yep, you're right. I went thru the original threads and you pretty much
nailed it. Sorry, the whole thing got me worked up. Truth is, the blame
goes squarely on the **American** corporate sleaze bag management team
in Lowell.

I think OMH needs to answer some tough questions regarding
formulations. If they claim it is ingredient formulated instead of
cost then they need to answer why the latest batch appears to be
different. Also what is the current dry matter analysis nutrient
profile?

I don't even buy the product myself but I think some questions need to
be asked rather than just blame it on Canada :-)

-mhd
Old June 9th 05, 11:07 AM
Joe Canuck

equalizer wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:41:48 -0400,
wrote:

equalizer wrote:

Yep, you're right. I went thru the original threads and you pretty much
nailed it. Sorry, the whole thing got me worked up. Truth is, the blame
goes squarely on the **American** corporate sleaze bag management team
in Lowell.

I think OMH needs to answer some tough questions regarding
formulations. If they claim it is ingredient formulated instead of
cost then they need to answer why the latest batch appears to be
different. Also what is the current dry matter analysis nutrient
profile?

I don't even buy the product myself but I think some questions need to
be asked rather than just blame it on Canada :-)

-mhd

Yup. I believe in equal opportunity grilling. We hold Hill's to very
high standards and keep them under the microscope. The same should apply
to all the others. Too bad they don't have a rep here on this group to
feel the heat :-)

eq

The "heat" is best applied through a significant drop in sales.

It is simply not acceptable for something like this to happen *and* for
the company to not say anything about it.

For me, that speaks volumes about management at OMH. They live in the
dark ages and have no concept of the modern notion of customer service.
It also says to me that they don't exactly feel the need for full
disclosure or to be forthcoming.

Personally, I don't like dealing with organizations that appear to
operate in that manner. This isn't a commentary on the quality of their
food products, but more how they appear to have handled this from a
public relations standpoint.
Old June 10th 05, 11:59 AM
Joe Canuck

equalizer wrote:

wrote:

equalizer wrote:

[...]

My suspicions started back in January(?) on this forum when someone
started the thread about OMH being bought out, or sold, or something. I
emailed them and got the response back that absolutely nothing had
changed, it was all a rumor, and it was business as usual. Several weeks
later, they post the info about "expanding" to meet production needs.
Then, I ask them for a proximate analysis of their canned foods, and
they tell me they'll only supply it to vets.

Now, Ivan has persistent diarrhea since January, when I finally got
Floppy to eat canned food, and switched them all over. No big deal, it
finally occurred to me after a few $$$ in vet bills that he's intolerant
of canned food in general, so no more canned for him. But meanwhile,
during this Wellness Chicken shortage, I switched the others over to
Wellness Chicken & Fish. They all started getting "looser" stools. And
now, this new batch of Wellness Chicken I just got -- the texture is
different, there's that oil on top, and they used to absolutely clean
the plate, literally. Now, they're wasting almost half of it.
Something's not right.

Absolutely agreed.

Time to get them stabilized on another food if OMB doesn't get their act
together on the Wellness soon.

I too have a cat whose digestive system is intolerant of canned food yet
her senses love it. I finally got her stabilized on SD Chicken & Rice
dry about a year ago. No more messing around with the food, and that
food is available everywhere. I have been moving around a bit.