outside cat enclosure

Old March 3rd 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Blockade Runner

Default outside cat enclosure

Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

Michael Lane

The men American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring
liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try and tell
them the truth -- H. L. Mencken

**
**

Old March 3rd 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Blockade Runner" wrote

Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

Yes, but it's the expensive way to do it. Also at 6ft tall, lots of wasted
space for cats plus will be too heavy to lift to cut the grass under it if
that was your plan.

Built one for a person who was adamant that cats need outdoor time. Cat was
front and back declawed rescue and terrified of outside but that's besides
the point.

The upright corner pieces were 2x4. The top pieces were 1x2 and again they
were used for side supports in the middle to the top piece plus under the
top screen across the middle. A 'door' was made on one end with 1x2 and
screening for access/egress. It was 3ft tall, 3ft wide and 5ft long. The
legs fit into a small pored 'post holder' (slightly larger hole than the
legs). Chicken wire was used for the top and sides. Plastic mesh was
'sewn' to the bottom of the chicken wire then run along the ground about 6
inches out and posts were placed on top of it longwise (3x3 roundish on all
but 1 side which faced down). Bolted good handles to all 4 posts and 2 12
year old kids could move it to cut the grass easily then put it back. Cost
about $50 but that was in 2001.

Old March 4th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 3/3/2011 5:31 PM, Blockade Runner wrote:
Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

I had an outdoor enclosure built, but with screen. It's a screen
specially designed for pets, and is very strong. One of my cats
regularly climbs it and you can't even see holes. I wanted screen to
keep out mosquitoes since they can carry heartworm. It wasn't cheap,
but I hired someone to build it. It is under my 8' high backyard deck
and the deck posts are used for the frame with some additional planks to
make the screen more stable. It is also covered with screen about 1'
below the underside of the deck, again to keep out mosquitoes and
prevent the cats from climbing up and out. I had the screen attached
into rails with spline so it can be replaced in smaller pieces if
there's a rip.

I have some pictures on tinypic somewhere. If you're interested in
seeing them, I'll try to find the links.

Old March 4th 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 04/03/2011 00:31, Blockade Runner wrote:
Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

I had my enclosure built by a builder who makes them to order. It's
constructed of panels with wire netting. The roof panels are the same as
the wall panels. Here's a picture of it from the outside (that's Caliban
lying on the ramp to the left and looking confused to see me *outside*
the enclosure):

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28745...58511339qmcZPC

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old March 4th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 04/03/2011 01:06, cshenk wrote:
"Blockade Runner" wrote

Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

Yes, but it's the expensive way to do it. Also at 6ft tall, lots of
wasted space for cats plus will be too heavy to lift to cut the grass
under it if that was your plan.

6 ft tall is not wasted space! Of course, you have to provide climbing
poles and ramps. If the walls are made of a suitable material, like a
sturdy netting, the cats can climb the walls. Here are mine climbing
their enclosure wall:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_0239.jpg

Old March 4th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Kitty Walk (WAS: outside cat enclosure)

"Blockade Runner" wrote in message
Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

Michael Lane

Check into the various "Kitty Walk" enclosures. http://kittywalk.com/

They're easy to put together, can be taken apart or moved as needed. It can
be added on to. Persia has a Kitty Walk and she loves it. We sit outside
together.

Jill

Old March 4th 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Marina wrote:
On 04/03/2011 01:06, cshenk wrote:
"Blockade Runner" wrote

Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

Yes, but it's the expensive way to do it. Also at 6ft tall, lots of
wasted space for cats plus will be too heavy to lift to cut the grass
under it if that was your plan.

6 ft tall is not wasted space! Of course, you have to provide climbing
poles and ramps. If the walls are made of a suitable material, like a
sturdy netting, the cats can climb the walls. Here are mine climbing
their enclosure wall:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_0239.jpg

That is a great picture of your energetic cats. MLB
Old March 5th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 3/4/2011 11:26 AM, Nitesbane wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/3/2011 5:31 PM, Blockade Runner wrote:
Thinking about having one built out of chain link panels about 8 ft long
by 4 ft wide by 6ft tall, will have put chain link roof on it keep them
in . Has anyone ever did this ? I have two that desperately want to go
out, but they are not wise to outside + someone declawed one.

snip

I have some pictures on tinypic somewhere. If you're interested in seeing
them, I'll try to find the links.

Yes, please!

Here's a google search string that brings up a lot of conversations
about enclosures here.
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ch&sitesearch=

Here are some pics of mine.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vkn7ec.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/ayw18p.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/orl79v.jpg

Old March 5th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 3/4/2011 10:16 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Check into the various "Kitty Walk" enclosures. http://kittywalk.com/

They're easy to put together, can be taken apart or moved as needed. It
can be added on to. Persia has a Kitty Walk and she loves it. We sit
outside together.

They have a lot of neat new configurations!