IVD for struvite, any experience?

Old June 10th 04, 05:48 AM
Patricia

Default IVD for struvite, any experience?

My Farfou has been diagnosed with struvite crystals.
After 5 days at the vet he came back home. I am supposed to feed him
Hill's c/d prescription diet but he refused to touch it and it has
been 3 days now ...
He is hungry and would actually eat his normal dry and wet food.

I try to lure him with fresh chicken, which he eats a little bit.
He was always eating better quality canned and dry Petguard or
Wellness.

I would like to try the IVD prescription food.

Does anyone have (good or bad) experience with this brand?

Or advise how can I make him eat the c/d food?

Patricia
Old June 11th 04, 04:34 PM
icarus

"Patricia" wrote in message
om...
My Farfou has been diagnosed with struvite crystals.
After 5 days at the vet he came back home. I am supposed to feed him
Hill's c/d prescription diet but he refused to touch it and it has
been 3 days now ...
He is hungry and would actually eat his normal dry and wet food.

I try to lure him with fresh chicken, which he eats a little bit.
He was always eating better quality canned and dry Petguard or
Wellness.

I would like to try the IVD prescription food.

Does anyone have (good or bad) experience with this brand?

Or advise how can I make him eat the c/d food?

Patricia

ascorbic acid will increase the acidity of his urine and break down the
struvite chrystals. just break up and add to his food and keep an eye on how
much he eats and spits out. you will probably find he eats some and realises
and spits out the rest but enough gets eaten to work.

Old June 12th 04, 01:52 AM
bluemaxx

"icarus" wrote in message
:
: ascorbic acid will increase the acidity of his urine and break down
the
: struvite chrystals. just break up and add to his food and keep an
eye on how
: much he eats and spits out. you will probably find he eats some and
realises
: and spits out the rest but enough gets eaten to work.
:

Plain old Vitamin C? Do you have any more information or links you
could provide? I have a male that blocked once and is now on SD-c/d.

Linda

---

Old June 12th 04, 08:46 AM

My Farfou has been diagnosed with struvite crystals.
After 5 days at the vet he came back home. I am supposed to feed him
Hill's c/d prescription diet but he refused to touch it and it has
been 3 days now ...
He is hungry and would actually eat his normal dry and wet food.

If he's eating something that acidifies the urine, it's probably okay to
also give him some of his usual wet food. The prescription diet has an
acidifier so if he's eating some of that and some of his usual, that should
be enough. Cats need to eat regardless, they can get serious health issues
if they don't eat for too long.

I try to lure him with fresh chicken, which he eats a little bit.
He was always eating better quality canned and dry Petguard or
Wellness.

I can't blame him for not eating the Hill's, the ingredients in there are
pretty icky.

I would like to try the IVD prescription food.

Does anyone have (good or bad) experience with this brand?

I've never tried IVD (I don't think that's available where I am), but my cat
was diagnosed with the same thing and I managed to find another premium
kibble, Wysong "Uretic" formula, which does the same thing as the Hill's in
that it acidifies the urine which is what you want because it dissolves the
crystals. Both have the same acidifying ingredient (DL-Methionine or
something like that). But the Wysong has much better ingredients than the
Hill's.

Or advise how can I make him eat the c/d food?

Give him his Wellness wet food and maybe some prescription kibble, as one
possibility, or mix c/d wet and Wellness wet food.

I used the Wysong dry, and also served lots of Wellnes wet food, and added a
little extra water to his wet food, and that has done the trick (3 weeks
later he was declared crystal free). I also gave him a homeopathic remedy
to help with the acidification.

But now I'm switching all my cats to a raw food diet because that keeps the
urine in proper balance, just slightly acidic, which will help prevent the
problem from recurring. If they stay on the prescription stuff with
acidifiers it can cause another type of crystal that forms in a too-acidic
urine! So acidifying is what you want short-term to get rid of the struvite
crystals in there now, but it's not a good idea long term to have the urine
too acidic.

Hope this helps and I know I've rambled on a bit, but I just went through
the same thing with my cat.

Sherry