*sigh* Fickle Oscar

Old September 7th 05, 04:06 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default *sigh* Fickle Oscar

The only canned food she's been willing to eat is Wellness Salmon &
Turkey.

Well, for the last three feedings, she hasn't touched it. I finally
relented and gave her a few of her old Nutro kibbles, which she
hoovered up, so I know she's not protesting food in general.

She's so much more energetic and lively on wet food ... I don't want
to put her back on dry! But if that's all she'll eat ...

I've tried all the "good" brands, the boutique stuff. Maybe I should
try some basic grocery-brand canned foods. Are those better or worse
than dry?

*sigh*

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old September 7th 05, 06:22 PM
Katy

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I've tried all the "good" brands, the boutique stuff. Maybe I should
try some basic grocery-brand canned foods. Are those better or worse
than dry?

Fancy Feast's formula has been changed. Every flavor that has "beef"
or "salmon" or "chicken" etc in the first three ingredients listed is
probably superior to Wellness. (FF used to have "byproducts"
listed first, not real meat.) It may "stink" to you but you are not a
cat. Cats love it.

Wellness is not as good as it used to be, as its formula has
changed. Therefore you can start Oscar on FF, save money,
and also give him better nutrition. Wellness, with its nice-sounding
ingredients, appeals more to humans than cats.

Good luck.

Old September 7th 05, 08:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-09-07, Katy penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I've tried all the "good" brands, the boutique stuff. Maybe I
should try some basic grocery-brand canned foods. Are those better
or worse than dry?

Fancy Feast's formula has been changed. Every flavor that has "beef"
or "salmon" or "chicken" etc in the first three ingredients listed
is probably superior to Wellness. (FF used to have "byproducts"
listed first, not real meat.) It may "stink" to you but you are not
a cat. Cats love it.

Wellness is not as good as it used to be, as its formula has
changed. Therefore you can start Oscar on FF, save money, and also
give him better nutrition. Wellness, with its nice-sounding
ingredients, appeals more to humans than cats.

Good luck.

My husband just called to tell me that she's eaten all of her wet
food, in addition to the bit of dry I gave her this morning. So maybe
I spoke too soon.

I've never heard anyone say that FF is a good food -- not even my vet,
who says she feeds it to her cats because it's all they'll eat. She
said they're particularly heavy in salt and mercury.

Anyone else swear by FF?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old September 7th 05, 08:28 PM
Katy

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

My husband just called to tell me that she's eaten all of her wet
food, in addition to the bit of dry I gave her this morning. So maybe
I spoke too soon.

I've never heard anyone say that FF is a good food -- not even my vet,
who says she feeds it to her cats because it's all they'll eat. She
said they're particularly heavy in salt and mercury.

I repeat, the formula has changed in the last few months. It is
a new thing. Google groups for it. It has been discussed in depth
and with nutrient breakdowns in one of these cat groups.

Also discussed was the negative change in the Wellness formula.
Still, any food that has real meat (and not just byproducts) in the
first three ingredients may be considered a premium cat food.
Above all, don't buy anything but FF in the grocery store--they
are all just byproducts and fillers.

Old September 8th 05, 04:42 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The only canned food she's been willing to eat is Wellness Salmon &
Turkey.

Well, for the last three feedings, she hasn't touched it. I finally
relented and gave her a few of her old Nutro kibbles, which she
hoovered up, so I know she's not protesting food in general.

She's so much more energetic and lively on wet food ... I don't want
to put her back on dry! But if that's all she'll eat ...

I've tried all the "good" brands, the boutique stuff. Maybe I should
try some basic grocery-brand canned foods. Are those better or worse
than dry?

FWIW, I've maintained any number of healthy, energetic cats
on grocery store brands. Most of them refused to eat any of
the "good" (read "pricey") brands. It's true I have
outlived most of them, but none of them died of nutrional
insufficiencies - in most cases, cause of death was
essentially "old age".

*sigh*

Old September 11th 05, 09:49 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-09-07, Katy penned:

I repeat, the formula has changed in the last few months. It is a
new thing. Google groups for it. It has been discussed in depth and
with nutrient breakdowns in one of these cat groups.

Also discussed was the negative change in the Wellness formula.
Still, any food that has real meat (and not just byproducts) in the
first three ingredients may be considered a premium cat food. Above
all, don't buy anything but FF in the grocery store--they are all
just byproducts and fillers.

Well, I looked at all the FF cans I could find today, and a large
number of them had wheat gluten in the first 2-4 ingredients. Almost
all of them had by-products in the first 4-5. But there was a lot of
meat-type stuff listed, although a lot of preservatives and big long
chemical names, too. I picked up a few cans to see what Oscar thinks.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Oscar! Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 2 July 14th 05 05:47 PM
How I got Oscar Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 February 15th 05 06:34 PM
Oscar thanks you! Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 January 29th 05 10:58 PM
update - oscar and dad Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 1 January 27th 05 01:50 AM
Oscar goes to the vet Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 8 December 4th 04 10:52 PM