my, how time flies

Old February 7th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default my, how time flies

A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid for
6 months.

I kept telling myself I'd check it soon, but hadn't.

Well. I finally got my butt into the post office (just a half mile or
so from where I work) and ... the PO Box was locked. Seems I haven't
checked the damn thing in over 6 months.

It hadn't yet been reserved, so I was able to pay for another 6 months
and even get all the mail that had accumulated (not much).

Still. How did 6 months slip by so quickly?

I felt a little bit better when the guy behind the counter told me
this was a pretty common problem.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 8th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid for
6 months.

I kept telling myself I'd check it soon, but hadn't.

Well. I finally got my butt into the post office (just a half mile or
so from where I work) and ... the PO Box was locked. Seems I haven't
checked the damn thing in over 6 months.

It hadn't yet been reserved, so I was able to pay for another 6 months
and even get all the mail that had accumulated (not much).

Still. How did 6 months slip by so quickly?

I felt a little bit better when the guy behind the counter told me
this was a pretty common problem.

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to your house
like mine does?

Tweed

Old February 8th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:07:30 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid for
6 months.

I kept telling myself I'd check it soon, but hadn't.

Well. I finally got my butt into the post office (just a half mile or
so from where I work) and ... the PO Box was locked. Seems I haven't
checked the damn thing in over 6 months.

It hadn't yet been reserved, so I was able to pay for another 6 months
and even get all the mail that had accumulated (not much).

Still. How did 6 months slip by so quickly?

I felt a little bit better when the guy behind the counter told me
this was a pretty common problem.

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to your house
like mine does?

I don't know Christine's reason, but I know that, when I had a house
fire back in 2002, I chose to rent a PO box during the time I was
living in a long-term-stay hotel, and for several months afterwards. I
was in a hotel, rather than an apartment, because that was what my
insurance company would pay for. I was a couple of miles from work,
but about 20 miles from my house, so it was convenient to not have to
drive by my house each day. At the hotel, all incoming mail was on a
general-delivery basis at the front desk, so I preferred to have a PO
box where I wouldn't have to worry about anyone rummaging through my
mail and possibly pocketing financial data. I changed my mailing
address from my home address to the PO box, then changed it back again
after the repairs on my house were completed. I kept the PO box for a
full year, even though my house repairs took just over 3 months, in
order to make sure that my correspondents (personal mail, bills, etc.)
had changed back to my street address. Some of them took more than
one reminder in order to make the change.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 8th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:07:30 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid for
6 months.

I kept telling myself I'd check it soon, but hadn't.

Well. I finally got my butt into the post office (just a half mile or
so from where I work) and ... the PO Box was locked. Seems I haven't
checked the damn thing in over 6 months.

It hadn't yet been reserved, so I was able to pay for another 6 months
and even get all the mail that had accumulated (not much).

Still. How did 6 months slip by so quickly?

I felt a little bit better when the guy behind the counter told me
this was a pretty common problem.

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to your house
like mine does?

Tweed

If no one is home during the day, it might be safer that way.
We have been told to watch our boxes carefully because there have been
mail thieves active in this region.-- especially those who have a mailbox
at the curb rather than the house. MLB

Old February 8th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid for
6 months.

I kept telling myself I'd check it soon, but hadn't.

Well. I finally got my butt into the post office (just a half mile or
so from where I work) and ... the PO Box was locked. Seems I haven't
checked the damn thing in over 6 months.

It hadn't yet been reserved, so I was able to pay for another 6 months
and even get all the mail that had accumulated (not much).

Still. How did 6 months slip by so quickly?

I felt a little bit better when the guy behind the counter told me
this was a pretty common problem.

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to your house
like mine does?

Tweed

Here in Oz most people living outside towns have to have a PO box in
town as there's no mail delivery to many rural or remote properties.
Dunno if that applies in Monique's case though.

Old February 8th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message

Christina Websell wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

Ok tell the truth now you don't want the brown paper wrapped items to come
to your house :-D

snicker snicker like a little kid

Old February 8th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-08, Christina Websell penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid
for 6 months.

[snip]

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to
your house like mine does?

My personal mail does. I've been trying to start a little business,
and my husband didn't feel comfortable advertising our home address as
the contact location. Thus the box.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 8th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[...]

I get my mail at the curb and even when I'm not home during the day I pick
it up when I come home in the evening. It's no more fearful than renting a
P.O. box and walking in to get something in a quiet enclosed unguarded
space.

Jill

Old February 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-08, Christina Websell penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
A while ago, just a few weeks to my memory, I got a PO Box. Paid
for 6 months.

[snip]

Why do you need a P.O. Box? Why can't your mail come directly to
your house like mine does?

My personal mail does. I've been trying to start a little business,
and my husband didn't feel comfortable advertising our home address as
the contact location. Thus the box.

Obviously you aren't all that excited about this business or you would have
been jumping at the chance to check the box every chance you got. Who knows
what you missed in 6 months?

Jill

Old February 8th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[...]

I think she means your *mail* is much safer, not you. Most home
mailboxes don't lock (although I think some apartments do). Anyone can
steal your mail, and that's one way identity theives work. At a PO box,
no one has access to your mail.
A friend of mine had a box of new checks stolen from her front door
mailbox. It was a real nightmare for her.

Sherry