my, how time flies

Old February 8th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default my, how time flies

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
It just seemed strange. Whilst some people (and businesses) here in the
UK
use P.O. boxes it always makes me a bit suspicious if businesses use one,
it
looks as if they don't want to be traced should things go wrong.
I hadn't thought about theft from mailboxes in the USA either.

Unfortunately it's all too common. Nancy and I had have had such a problem
with mail theft out of our mailbox that we've had to switch our mail
delivery to our PO box.

Now if the post office would finally stop returning some of our mail to
the sender for no apparent reason we'd be all set.

When I had my office, I had to have a PO box. At least then I had a prayer
of a chance of getting all my own mail and only my own mail. It was
unbelievable some of the mail that was delivered to my office address. God
only knows where mail addressed to me at the office address would have ended
up.

Since I'm a CPA lots of what I get is confidential.

Once I received five different peoples welfare checks at the office on
Christmas eve. At least that made a nice lesson for my kids as we went
around to see they were properly delivered. Usually though I just called
the postmaster and chewed him out (again) and had someone come pick up the
misdeliveries.

If I went on vacation I'd come back to find the box stuffed full of other
peoples mail.

Worst post office incident? When my younger daughter turned sixteen or
thereabouts, she started getting some really nasty x rated mail at our home.
So much so that she asked me if I could get it stopped. Seems the DMV sells
off a mailing list of everyone that gets a new drivers license.

So off to the postoffice to fill out the forms. Gather up offending mail to
show them what we were objecting to. Fill out more forms. Take in
additional objectionable mail that should be prosecuted now that the forms
have been filed for months and the offenders notified. Only to get a
package in a plain brown wrapper from the post office a few weeks later
addressed to my daughter. Containing all the garbage we had turned in to
try to stop delivery.

Did I mention out local postmaster now recognized my voice on the phone?

Jo

Old February 8th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Argh, I feel like I'm being attacked when all I wanted to say is "wow,
I can't believe how fast 6 months flew by." I opened myself
up for commentary by posting, but sheesh. I don't see how it hurts
anyone for me to spend $14 on 6 months of a PO Box.

I was wondering that myself. Why does anyone need an explanation for
why you prefer to use a PO Box??

Joyce
Old February 8th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

The business is cover letter consultation. I've seen a lot of bad
cover letters! I'm sure I could make a difference, if only I found
the time!

That's a great business idea. I am a good writer, but I have recently
discovered, after reading an article called "Top 10 Cover Letter Errors"
(or something like that), that I've made a number of classic mistakes
on my cover letters. And I'm not exactly a newbie at job-hunting, either.
I would use a business like yours, but I can't afford it, because I
don't have a job!

Joyce
Old February 8th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

Worst post office incident? When my younger daughter turned sixteen or
thereabouts, she started getting some really nasty x rated mail at our home.
So much so that she asked me if I could get it stopped. Seems the DMV sells
off a mailing list of everyone that gets a new drivers license.

That's horrible! That company should be liable for sending that kind of
material to minors. A driver's license doesn't mean one is old enough to
receive pornography in the mail...

Joyce
Old February 8th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I would use a business like yours, but I
can't afford it, because I don't have a job!

Well, that very point may be why it's not a great business idea =P

Except for the people who are job-hunting while they are currently
working (at a job they don't like or whatever).

And really, I should be willing to fork out some cash for things that
would help me get a job - it's an investment. It's just that right now,
I'm not in my normal state of low funds - I'm actually wondering how
I'm going to pay February's rent, which is 7 days late!

Joyce - trying to get up the nerve to ask a couple of people if I can
borrow some money...
Old February 8th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I would use a business like yours, but I
can't afford it, because I don't have a job!

Well, that very point may be why it's not a great business idea =P

Except for the people who are job-hunting while they are currently
working (at a job they don't like or whatever).

And really, I should be willing to fork out some cash for things that
would help me get a job - it's an investment. It's just that right now,
I'm not in my normal state of low funds - I'm actually wondering how
I'm going to pay February's rent, which is 7 days late!

Joyce - trying to get up the nerve to ask a couple of people if I can
borrow some money...

Also, anything you spend in a job search is tax deductible.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 8th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
It just seemed strange. Whilst some people (and businesses) here in the
UK
use P.O. boxes it always makes me a bit suspicious if businesses use one,
it
looks as if they don't want to be traced should things go wrong.
I hadn't thought about theft from mailboxes in the USA either.

Unfortunately it's all too common. Nancy and I had have had such a problem
with mail theft out of our mailbox that we've had to switch our mail
delivery to our PO box.

Now if the post office would finally stop returning some of our mail to
the sender for no apparent reason we'd be all set.

I'm going to ask a really naive question here. Why do you have to have a
mailbox? why can't your mail be pushed directly into your house through a
hole in the front door, like mine is?

Tweed

Old February 8th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dan M" wrote in message
[...]

Some areas will not allow door entry post, my mail box is at the end of the
entrance road the Post office can be real pains some time