my, how time flies

Old February 10th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default my, how time flies

Call again. I was able to eventually get my credit card companies to
believe that I didn't want checks. It was a struggle, though.
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Make sure your credit card "customer service" understands exactly
what you want them to do: it is "take your name OFF their "mailing
list" for "balance-transfer" or "cash-advance" checks". I have
received these checks, with different names for them by their
senders, from each of my credit-card companies. All it's ever
taken is ONE phone call from me to stop them coming. They
have each warned me, upon agreeing to do so, that the mechanism
(mailing list of theirs) which sends them to you cannot be stopped
for about six weeks or so. I lie and always resort to this falsehood,
which once was true but not now: "Where I live the mailbox is not
secure, mail is often delivered to other addresses than the correct one,
and many college students live in my building. You can see why it
is important to me to stop these mailings". Of course if you live in
a house, skip the last part about "college students, my building".
Oh, BTW, Brit friends: pranksters across the pond must be MUCH
better behaved where you are on Halloween than they are here! You
don't even wanna know what was put through our door slots (even
if we gave treats) when we had them......

Old February 10th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
snipped
Here in the UK there is something called
"the mailing preference list." You register your address with it and hey
presto - no more junk mail.

As I posted, there is a method for stopping junk mail--it involves
filling out a request form at the P.O. However, it also affects any
second-class mailing. Some them I *do* want to receive. Newsletters
mailings from animal welfare organizations and such are mailed
second-class or bulk mail also.

The same applies to the phone - there's a
"telephone preference list" too.

We have a "do not call" list also. It has been very effective for me.

It's actually illegal for a company here to mail you uninvited with adverts
etc and the same with phone calls if you are on these lists.

Same here, with the "do not call" list.

I do *very* occasionally get an unsolicited phone call to see if I would
like to buy double glazing, or a new kitchen, that type of thing.
As soon as they start with "we are in your area and we wondered.." I just
say "may I stop you there? I am on the telephone preference list."

Phone solicitors are forbidden to call, unless you have previously done
business with them. Followup calls from those companies are allowed.

Sherry

Old February 10th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
Oh, BTW, Brit friends: pranksters across the pond must be MUCH
better behaved where you are on Halloween than they are here! You
don't even wanna know what was put through our door slots (even
if we gave treats) when we had them......

Heh. The birds-in-the-bookdrop incident I wrote about happened on
Halloween. The next year we closed the book drop on Halloween!

Most of the time it was just things like paper cups, trash and stuff.
The location of the library was part of the problem-the book drop was
in a dark alley just behind the community center, where teens not yet
old enough to drive gathered regularly.

Sherry