Sorry for another OT Post (long)

Old November 29th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Sorry for another OT Post (long)

Sam wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
So finally, after all this long time, I'm actually going to get some
help. You can't imagine how frustrating it's been, after working
steadily for 25 years, to be told I didn't qualify for any help once
I had no income.

Jill ---breathing a HUGE sigh of relief!

Big time HaPpY dAnCiNg with you, Miss Persia and Peaches. That should
buy some *really* good kitty food!

Thanks! But I'm sure the vet doesn't take food stamps Persia's on
prescription food. I have to use my last FREE BAG coupon for Persia's
prescription food by the end of December. After that, Purina sent me a
couple of $5 off coupons which go into 2007.

Old November 29th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jmcquown wrote:

Jill ---breathing a HUGE sigh of relief!

That's wonderful, Jill. Congratulations!

Old November 29th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

jmcquown wrote:
Jill ---breathing a HUGE sigh of relief!

YAY!!! We're so happy for you!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 29th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JBHajos

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:33:54 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

Pss I HATE F@CKING LAWYERS even though I have already one of my cases now
just a few more to go and one big one :-(

Aw, gee, whiz, Matthew, you don't hate or broad-blanket ALL of them,
do you? I know at least one who is an extremely intelligent attorney,
hard-working, knowledgeable, personable, popular, an excellent choice
for any case, to whom lack of integrity is a foreign concept
(Yes, she's my daughter.)

Old November 29th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

jmcquown wrote:

It dawned on me, she'd
approved me for benefits! YAY! Happy Dance!!! After that I'll get $150 a
month credited to the card to use for buying groceries.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I know how bad it can be, been there, done that and never ever want to do it
again!

In the UK, a single person without kids can get some money through it's not a
lot

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 29th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote:

Pss I HATE F@CKING LAWYERS even though I have already one of my cases now
just a few more to go and one big one :-(

Aw, gee, whiz, Matthew, you don't hate or broad-blanket ALL of them,
do you? I know at least one who is an extremely intelligent attorney,
hard-working, knowledgeable, personable, popular, an excellent choice
for any case, to whom lack of integrity is a foreign concept
(Yes, she's my daughter.)

Sorry it should have been going to F@cking lawyers. I have several in my
family also

Old November 29th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Pss I HATE F@CKING LAWYERS even though I have already one of my cases now
just a few more to go and one big one :-(

Aw, gee, whiz, Matthew, you don't hate or broad-blanket ALL of them,
do you? I know at least one who is an extremely intelligent attorney,
hard-working, knowledgeable, personable, popular, an excellent choice
for any case, to whom lack of integrity is a foreign concept
(Yes, she's my daughter.)

You must be *very* proud of her. I hate to see *anyone* broad-blanket
lawyers. We have a board member who is a family-law attorney.
It's really ironic when you think about the lawyer-jokes--they
primarily apply to the ambulance-chasers, not attorneys like your
daughter and my friend--but without the sue-happy, entitlement-driven
public, they'd be out of work.

Sherry

Old November 29th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

"jmcquown" wrote:
BUT! this one has a happy ending I'd been told for 2 years that I
didn't qualify for any sort of government assistance because (1) I don't
have children and (2) I have an IRA. This didn't make sense to me because
single people have to eat, too. I finally found a woman at the Tennessee
Dept. of Human Services who said what I'd been told was utterly ridiculous.

Now, I *don't* qualify for what is considered welfare (a monthly check)
because TN replaced the old welfare system with something called "Families
First". Obviously this is geared towards people with children. If I were
over 55 there would be an exception, but I'm not. However, I was told I
could certainly apply for food stamps.

I filled out the application and mailed it off. Just got back from my
appointment with my caseworker. At first she told me that because my
parents send me money to pay my bills and I put that money in the bank and
write my own checks, I don't qualify. She said my mother would need to
write the checks directly to the vendor(s) herself. I sighed and said,
"That's not gonna happen. She's 81 years old, no way is she going to sit
down and write out checks to my utilities company, the phone company, etc."
The caseworker said, "I understand, so here's what we're gonna do. Get your
mom to send you a letter simply stating she pays all your bills." Okay, I
can do that.

Then she told me I'll get $150 a month, prorated to the date of my
application which was sent to them on November 2nd, so I'll have $340 for
November and December on my EBT (food stamps) debit card and it will be
mailed out in 3-5 business days. I looked at her. It dawned on me, she'd
approved me for benefits! YAY! Happy Dance!!! After that I'll get $150 a
month credited to the card to use for buying groceries.

As for the letter from my mother, she said just hang onto it. If I still
need the benefits when it comes time for re-certification in April, bring it
with me.

So finally, after all this long time, I'm actually going to get some help.
You can't imagine how frustrating it's been, after working steadily for 25
years, to be told I didn't qualify for any help once I had no income.

Jill ---breathing a HUGE sigh of relief!

Glad to hear that you're going to get some help.

Huggs and purrs,
Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

Old November 30th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:17:51 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

CATherine wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:21:25 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Unfortunately no, I don't have medical insurance. At one time I had a
policy through USAA (they provide insurance and financial services to
military personnel and their dependents). But it was a temporary policy, 6
months, and when I inquired about renewing it I was told they no longer
offer it.

I'm not eligible for TennCare/Medicaid because I'm not eligible for the
Families First program; that is, I don't have children. There is what they
call the Spend-Down program within Medicaid for "medically needy"
individuals whose medical bills exceed their income. But the state web site
adds this caveat:
" Effective close of business on 4-29-05, only children and pregnant women
may be considered for Medically Needy."

So once again, I lose out because I don't have children. Never mind that
the state has no idea whether or not I could even have *had* children (which
at my age isn't possible). They do their damndest to screw over those who
don't. It ticks me off.

Jill

There is a saying about there is always someone to fall through the
cracks in the system. And you found a big crack. Now if you can just
manage to stay alive until you are old enough for Social Security...Or
maybe you can get disabled; although that is no fun. It is getting
harder and harder to survive till retirement age. But at least now you
can eat and free up a bit of former food money for something else. I
am praying for you to get some more good news, like a decent job, or a
windfall of a zillion dollars!;-) Purrs,

--
CATherine
Old November 30th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
-L.

Christina Websell wrote:

I was surprised that America had no welfare provision for single people who
find themselves in difficult circumstances, out of work.

There are plenty of jobs available. Able-bodied adults are expected to
work in this country.
The problem is people like Jill think themselves too good for menial
jobs and then bitch and moan about "The Mexicans" taking all the jobs
here. The truth is the immigrants - illegal and otherwise - form many
countries are willing and able to work jobs - any jobs - to support
themselves and their families. Many work 2 or 3 jobs to do so, walk,
take public transportation, or ride bicycles to work (which you see in
Central CA all the time) because they can't afford cars. Back in the
50's and 60's Americans were willing to do this as well. But we have
lost our work ethic. It's shameful.

-L.