Otis - how being lost has changed him

Old October 12th 04, 10:43 PM
Susan M

Default Otis - how being lost has changed him

Hi all:

Otis finally seems all settled, about a month after he was trapped and
brought home. He ran away from everyone but me when we got home and was
super twitchy. It is amazing how strongly we are bonded - I guess that
nobody else caters to his craziness like I do and he appreciates that!
Anyway, he wanted to go out but was scared to go out. I tried to take him
on walks to re-orient him after a few days and he would just stand on the
property line and wouldn't budge. He sat there yelling at me and
complaining ... then would run right back to the door. It took him a long
time to be comfortable outside again and even now he sticks much closer to
home. Always comes when called. He's also gone up a notch in the lap
fungus category. Every time I sit down, he's on my lap purring and purring.
He's a cat who fully appreciates being home. He's managed to gain back that
pound he lost when he was gone too :-)

I kind of figure that he has no idea what happened. He was hell bent on
getting Out from the cattery, achieved that, and then found himself in this
alien land. Everything was different and his home wasn't around anywhere.
He hasn't a clue how that happened and isn't exactly sure that won't happen
when he goes out here now. Really.

The saddest part of the story is Chester, who we didn't worry about at all
since he's usually so centered and happy. He was brought home from the
cattery right away after Otis escaped and my parents wouldn't let him out
until we came home. He was all alone in the house for over a week, except
when my parents and MIL would come on their daily visits. As soon as we got
home, I sensed this overwhelming feeling of loneliness coming from Chester -
like he was just a day or two away from utter heartbreak. The feeling
persisted for days and he seemed just to drink in our presence and
attention. He slept on the bed and Otis didn't even drive him off. He
needed to be with us and groomed Otis constantly. Then, my cleaning lady
told me that she had stopped cleaning when we were gone because she heard
what sounded like a crying baby in the basement. She went to investigate
and found Chester crying. This is the kitty who doesn't meow and maybe
twice a year, will give us a squeak. That just broke my heart. I
underestimated how much he needed to be with his buddy Otis and his family.

All is well now and we're all back together again. Yeah!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 12th 04, 10:46 PM
Yoj

"Susan M" smawdsley remove @shaw.ca wrote in message
[...]

Thank goodness for a happy ending! Poor babies, and poor you in the
meantime.

Joy

Old October 13th 04, 12:19 AM
Singh

Yippee!!! Good news after all the sad stuff we've heard for a while. I am so
glad you all got together again, and that Chester is a happy boy again. Purrs
work!

Blessed be,
Baha

Old October 13th 04, 12:52 AM
Pat

What a touching story! I'm so glad you didn't lose Otis.

A similar thing happened when I was overseas in 1999, but the outcomes was
not happy. One of my three furkids disappeared from temporary lodging with
friends. When I called to check up on how the cats were doing, they told me
Cotton had not been seen for several days and they were worried. It really
ruined a beautiful trip, and I wasn't able to get back for another two
weeks. Cotton never was found, and his two mates, brother Safford (RB) and
best friend Whitefoot (RB), were as devastated as I was. And this happened
out in the country where there are fewer hiding places and no highways.

So you are very lucky.

Otis EMERGENCY Susan M Cat anecdotes 92 September 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Otis and Chester: Where are they now? (LONG) Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 03 02:29 PM