Back Legs Giving Out

Old May 23rd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Default Back Legs Giving Out

My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Old May 23rd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:729eea194ed06@uwe...
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has
been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting
up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than
these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the
bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Has he been tested for kidney function (testing both blood and urine)?

MaryL

Old May 24th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Thank you both for your responses.

Mary - When she called the vet this morning (she takes her kitty to the
Humane Society) she was just told that the blood and stool sample showed that
his diabetes has not flared up and they were waiting for the results of other
tests (what those are, I don't know). I will have her call tomorrow and ask
if they are running kidney tests.

Narnia - Thank you for the websites! I will give them to her tomorrow. The
neuopathy does sound like what she was explaining to me but would that have
showed up when they tested him to see if his diabetes had flared up (they
said that he was fine in that department) or is there a seperate test for
that? Would that also cause the diarhhea he is experiencing?

Thanks again guys!

~ narnia ~ wrote:
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

This is diabetic neuropathy. The wiki of the Feline Diabetes website
has an explanation he

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropathy

I highly recommend this site to your friend. The people who post on
the forum are very knowledgable and it's a great support group:

http://felinediabetes.com/

~ narnia ~

Old May 24th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Jesus! Back legs giving out and other than that plus the digestive
issues and diabetes and everything is fine you say?!?!

"The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
home."
Old May 24th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
else is fine. I see you can read which is good.

Old May 24th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Joe Canuck wrote:
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Jesus! Back legs giving out and other than that plus the digestive
issues and diabetes and everything is fine you say?!?!

"The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
home."

The whole point is... there needs to be more of a sense of urgency over
this issue because back legs giving out is a serious condition.

Trading insults doesn't help the cat.
Old May 24th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

First of all Joe, as far as trading insults, you need to take your own advice.
Second of all, my friend brought her cat to the vet on Monday, as soon as the
symptoms started and they are presently running tests. I would say she acted
quickly and with "urgency", what else do you want? I came on here to get
some advice while we wait for the remainder of the test results. Now please,
if you have no advice to offer in this matter, please keep your thoughts to
yourself. Thank you.

Joe Canuck wrote:
Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
else is fine. I see you can read which is good.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Old May 24th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:729eea194ed06@uwe...
My friend's 7 year old cat has diabetes. In the past two weeks, he has
been
having on and off again diarhhea and his back legs give out on him. She
brought him to the vet on Monday in fear that it was his diabetes acting
up
and was told that his blood and feces were fine and that it may be
neurological. She is waiting for them to run more tests. Other than
these
symptoms, he is fine. Normal appetite, not lethargic, goes to the
bathroom
normally (besides the occassional diarhhea). While we wait for more test
results (she is always trying to get a urine sample from him), does anyone
have any idea what this could be?

Hello,

We once had a diabetic cat. He also did fine except that his legs became
progressively weaker. Eventually, he waddled sort of like a duck on the
hind legs, but his front legs were fine. When he could not get in the
litter box, we put those pads they use on hospital beds next to the box and
he used them.

He accepted the insulin injections without any problems.

After he got to the point where we took him in to have him euthanized, I got
a computer and Internet access. I wish I could have had access to help when
he was still alive.

I learned that the weakness in the hind legs can be caused by a potassium
deficiency. You should suggest to your friend that she ask the vet about
potassium supplementation. She can also research this online.

Best wishes to your friend and her cat.

Annie

Old May 24th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joe Canuck[_2_]

Joe Canuck wrote:
Yes Joe, other than his back legs giving out and the diarhhea, everything
else is fine. I see you can read which is good.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
"The house burned down last week, other than that everything is fine at
home."

The whole point is... there needs to be more of a sense of urgency over
this issue because back legs giving out is a serious condition.

Trading insults doesn't help the cat.

This is about the cat, not about the personalities in this group.

One week is long enough for the vet to diddle about.
Old May 25th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

One week? She brought the cat to the vet on Monday which is only 3 days ago.
The vet called her last night and left her a message (which is only 2 days)
and she was not able to get through to the vet today. Hopefully she will be
able to get through tonight and be able to get the results and start
treatment ASAP. You need to understand that this is the Humane Society in
New York City and the demand that they are under is huge. You don't just
call and get to talk to the vet in most cases right away, they call you.

The message that the vet left last night was that the blood test did in fact
show "positive" for a flare up of the diabetes and that she would go more
into it when they talk. This is bizarre being that she was originally told
it was negative by the nurse.

Please send purrs for my friend and her cat. She lost a cat to diabetes
three years ago and adopted this one 2 years ago when he was 5 and knew that
he had diabetes. He had spent his whole life in the shelter because no one
wanted to deal with the illness and he deserves a long and healthy life.
Thanks again everyone (even you Joe for seeming to care about the cat in your
own way)

Joe Canuck wrote:
First of all Joe, as far as trading insults, you need to take your own advice.
Second of all, my friend brought her cat to the vet on Monday, as soon as the

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Trading insults doesn't help the cat.

This is about the cat, not about the personalities in this group.

One week is long enough for the vet to diddle about.

8 year old male with ataxia (wobbly back legs) KrazyKatLady Cat health & behaviour 8 January 26th 07 10:47 PM
cat losing fur on back of legs lori Cat health & behaviour 12 March 3rd 06 12:15 PM
Cat with 6 legs and a gremlin cat Beau Jess Cats - misc 11 April 7th 05 06:19 PM
Meowmie's legs Shamrock Cat anecdotes 4 September 2nd 04 02:36 PM
Hairless back legs - biting Jim Witte Cat health & behaviour 6 January 20th 04 06:17 AM