argh, here we go again....

Old December 6th 04, 04:53 PM
JB

Default argh, here we go again....

Right around US Thanksgiving every year, Buck seems to get it into her
head that it's time to do something that looks like a heat cycle.
Trilling, yowling (though not *that* loud), "presenting," rolling
around on the floor and pulling herself along her back by her front
claws, all that stuff. (No spraying, though, and I couldn't be more
thankful for that.) From late November through February or March,
she'll do this for a week or two at a time, knock it off for a few
weeks, and start back up again.

The first time she did this, I had had her for about a month, and she
wasn't yet spayed. She went through it on-and-off until I had her
spayed in early February, and that was it for the season. But then
she started up again late the following November, and she just started
it a couple days ago for the first time this season. (Grizzly, on the
other hand, is most likely Buck's littermate sister but has never
done anything like this, and she was spayed at the same time as Buck.)

I don't imagine there's much I can do about this, is there? Most of
the time, it's just annoying, but sometimes Jimmer gets really
stressed out by all the extra attention Buck gives him and starts
hissing at her a lot and running away, so I feel bad for him. If
anyone has any thoughts on this situation, I'd appreciate hearing
them... thanks!

On a completely unrelated note, I felt I just had to share some
pictures I took yesterday of Jimmer and Grizzly snoozing together:

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-08.html
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-09.html
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-10.html

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | "Joel, I can't help but feel that that
f bounces, look left and below. | film was flawed in certain ways."
Old December 6th 04, 06:53 PM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:53:49 -0500, JB wrote:

[...]

It sounds like some ovarian tissue may have been left in. Even a small
amount could produce some hormones.

Old December 6th 04, 06:55 PM
mlbriggs

[...]

Those pictures are great!

Old December 6th 04, 07:00 PM
Karen

They are SOOOOOoooo pretty. Have you spoken to your vet? I would be
concerned because sometimes tissue has gotten left in there. I sure would
want to know their take on it. I'd love to hear what they say.

Kakren

newspsilfrzv5y922lk@localhost...

Old December 6th 04, 11:30 PM
Takayuki

JB wrote:

On a completely unrelated note, I felt I just had to share some
pictures I took yesterday of Jimmer and Grizzly snoozing together:

http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-08.html
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-09.html
http://web.mr-happy.com/~jfb/ablum/p...rizzly-10.html

Jeff

What toastiness! What belly-ness! What fluffiness!

Old December 7th 04, 03:44 AM
Christine Burel

Based on what some others mentioned about possibly having hormonal
leftovers, I wonder if a blood test would show hormone levels and if so,
would birth control pills for kitties exist and/or help? Hope you can
figure something out.
Otherwise, I loooove those photos of yours, particularly the major
eartuftiness in the first one!
Christine

Old December 7th 04, 06:19 AM
Marina

Christine Burel wrote:

Based on what some others mentioned about possibly having hormonal
leftovers, I wonder if a blood test would show hormone levels and if so,
would birth control pills for kitties exist and/or help? Hope you can
figure something out.
Otherwise, I loooove those photos of yours, particularly the major
eartuftiness in the first one!

There are birth control pills for cats, but AIUI, they shouldn't be used
long-term, since they can cause - something or other. Cancer of the
uterus? Don't remember. Jeff's problem (or should I say Buck's problem)
does sound like a partially unsuccessful spay. I'm sorry, I don't have
any advice to give.

The pictures were lovely. Here are my two in snuggly mode:

http://tinyurl.com/6bbe4
http://tinyurl.com/6o3mn

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old December 7th 04, 04:09 PM
JB

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:19:09 +0200, Marina wrote:

The pictures were lovely. Here are my two in snuggly mode:

http://tinyurl.com/6bbe4
http://tinyurl.com/6o3mn

aww! your cats rock.

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | Of course, this is an emergency, as all
f bounces, look left and below. | borrowings of lederhosen tend to be.