You CAN declaw with Love

Old July 6th 03, 09:00 PM
Jolene Yates

Default You CAN declaw with Love

She is a year old. She started I'm sure before my fiance (now husband) got
her. She didn't scratch the carpet or the furniture. Only people. It's
difficult for me to assume that she is a bad kitty. She is always so good
otherwise. Since the only other problem we ever had with her is that she
saw my sister's kitten once and seemed incredibly jealous about it, hissed
and growled at us for hours after the other kitten was gone, we won't be
getting another cat until she is gone, so we won't have to face the declaw
issue again for a long time, if ever. I'm a bird person and my Crystal is
better behaved than Kitty.

Jolene

"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote in message

"Jolene Yates" wrote in message
Thank you....finally someone who agrees that declawing is not as

horrible
as
some of these people exagerate it to be. I understand what the surgery
entails, but one also must understand that while you can train a cat not

scratch carpet or furniture, I have yet to find a way to make the cat

stop
tearing my hands, arms, ankles and feet to shreds. The scratches alone
wouldn't be so bad, but I am mildly allergic to cats and have low blood
pressure along with other problems that cause me to take a long time to
heal. When she would scratch me it would take hours for me to stop
bleeding, days to get the swelling to stop and weeks for me to heal.
I can already hear many people yelling, then you shouldn't have ever

gotten
a cat. This is true, but it's a little difficult to tell your fiance

that
he has to choose between his cat and his fiance. So I just take my meds
that I have to take anyway to combat the rest of my allergies and love

both
of them.
We had Kitty spayed and declawed last Thursday, brought her home

Saturday
and she has been wonderful. Shee doesn't have any trouble walking and
doesn't fuss at all about her paws.

Jolene

My cat never scratches anyone, she did in play as a kitten! and my kitten
does in play too, but because I clip there nails they do not tear the
skin.... he bites at the moment too!
I understand it would be very bad for you to be scratched! sounds like a
naughty cat to me! or is it still a kitten?

declawing is banned in the UK anyway! but I have read so many horrible
things about declawing I just wouldn't want it done on my cats, they use
their scratch posts they have 6 in the house..... I spray the posts with
catnip to encourage them, the furniture, wallpaper have never been used I

am
glad to say. I am glad your cat seems ok at the moment and hope she has no
problems in the future :-)

--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old July 7th 03, 02:17 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

I declawed my cats - all four paws. They're normal as before I
declawed them. At first, I was brainwashed by all those Cat Nazis and
didn't declaw them until I visited my friend who's cat has been
declawed all four paws and it was so sweet and gentle.

Mt cat has claws and she is so sweet and gentle too! but also able to climb
cat trees indoors, and if she did get out at least she has some form of
defence!
but so many things can go wrong with declawing :-(

so glad its banned in the UK

Old July 17th 03, 02:47 PM
NEMESIS1IM

Hello Everyone,

My views are based directly on real life experience one of my cats was declawed
without my consent while being boarded at a Vets. I saw what it did to that
cat. I saw the personality change and I still carry scares from his resulting
personality change some 20 years ago.

#2 The research I have done since then, around 20 years of it, has all been
correlated and helped established my point of view on the subject.

#3 Declaw is a controversial subject that basically breaks down into two
opposing groups. Those that owe Cats and those who love Cats. Both sides
holding firm to their point of view.

The major point of difference being ownership versus love. Most owners think of
a cat as their property. Which in their point of view gives them complete
rights over the welfare of the cat. They feel perfectly justified to put there
personal wants above those of the cats

Most cat lovers on the other hand consider a cat to be a sentient being and
treat them as such rather than property.
They feel the cats well being far out weighs any inconvenience the cat may or
may not cause.

These are two fundamentally different an opposing view point that will never
meet. The only hope you have of changing someone's point of view on this is by
education.

Declawing has been banned in over 20 countries and the city of West Hollywood,
CA.

Many declawed cats end up in shelters.
Cats walk on their toes.

List of links

Why Cats Need Claws, from The Whole Cat Journal
http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm

CFA Health Committee - Declawing
http://www.cfainc.org/health/declawing.html
Declaw Information Site Index
http://www.gcty.com/~luvcatz/declaw-index.html

The Paw Project - entry page
http://www.pawproject.com/

CatFancy Take declaw survey -
http://catfancy.com/catfancy/catcensus.asp
Regards,

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/
Old July 17th 03, 03:53 PM
Pussy Cat

#2 The research I have done since then, around 20 years of it, has all

been
correlated and helped established my point of view on the subject.

#3 Declaw is a controversial subject that basically breaks down into two
[...]

List of links

Why Cats Need Claws, from The Whole Cat Journal
http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm

CFA Health Committee - Declawing
http://www.cfainc.org/health/declawing.html
Declaw Information Site Index
http://www.gcty.com/~luvcatz/declaw-index.html

The Paw Project - entry page
http://www.pawproject.com/

CatFancy Take declaw survey -
http://catfancy.com/catfancy/catcensus.asp
Regards,

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/

Some humans mistakenly believe that we are like babies/children, they forget
we are cats! we were given claws for a reason! if you hear the words
declawing! rehome yourself.

those so called animal lovers, think more of their furniture and carpets
than our needs! they forget we could escape one day and come face to face
with the local moggie who will rip our eyes out! we just have to hope we can
run fast! but being we have had no practice being indoor cats, you can guess
we will look a mess!

Glad I don't have to pay my own vet bills!!!!! glad I still have claws!

Old July 17th 03, 04:05 PM
Pussy Cat

Gosh if we bite you, you're be pulling our teeth out next!
let rip humans finger nails off one by one, they don't need them
--
Cats need to train humans

Old July 17th 03, 04:07 PM
LeeAnne

Holy crap, they declawed your cat w/o asking you? I would have sued the
sh*t out of them.

LeeAnne

Old July 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Rico

In article , "LeeAnne" wrote:
Holy crap, they declawed your cat w/o asking you? I would have sued the
sh*t out of them.

I was thinking the same thing, I think today I would be the proud owner of
the vet clinc and have my own personal vet at my call.

LeeAnne

"NEMESIS1IM" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

My views are based directly on real life experience one of my cats was

declawed
without my consent while being boarded at a Vets. I saw what it did to

that
cat. I saw the personality change and I still carry scares from his

resulting
personality change some 20 years ago.

laser declaw question on alt med vet Alison Cat health & behaviour 26 January 13th 04 01:54 AM
My Tribute to Spook KS Cat community 38 October 23rd 03 03:00 AM
Love Calls in the Driveway Bev Cat anecdotes 11 October 17th 03 01:36 AM