Shamrock's rough day

Old March 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Shamrock's rough day

I've been lurking and reading and sending silent purrs lately, but
I wanted to share poor Shamrock's Monday. I dropped him off
yesterday for a dental because his breath has been really rank, and
when I went to brush his teeth (which I do not keep up with, bad
meowmie), his gums bled easily. I was a little worried about
anesthesia and the use of Clomicalm for the last year, so I left a
note reminding the vet that he's on it. To compensate, she gave him
less anesthesia than she normally would, and he did well throughout
the procedure, and all of his blood values were in the normal range
(tests done before procedure) including BG; I'd had his blood sugar
tested due to him being on steroid shots for most of his life.

I picked him up around 5pm yesterday and he was still really out of
it. We got home and I had to leave him in the carrier for a couple
of hours because he couldn't walk. He'd plop down in uncomfortable-
looking positions, so I just wanted to keep him still. He wouldn't
sleep, and kept banging his head on the carrier door, so I took him
downstairs and let him out to see if he was ok to let him "walk it
off". Scarlett and Rhett were freaked out by how he acted, so I
closed them out of the downstairs family room, and it was just he
and I. I had to put the downstairs cat tree in another room so he
wouldn't climb it, and he wondered around walking in circles,
strangely silent. He was itchy from a flare-up (he had a depo shot
yesterday for that) and when he tried to lick and bite his itches,
he'd fall over. I felt so bad for him. I had to sit on the floor
to keep him from trying to jump on the couch because he just
couldn't make it. He wouldn't let me hold him, he was just too out
of it and not interested in sitting still. After another 2 hours,
he finally meowed. Then he wouldn't shut up. LOL The vet said he
couldn't eat because it could make him sick, but against her
orders, I gave him licks of baby food off of a spoon because a
little sustanance can bring them around faster if it doesn't make
them sick. He kept it down, and seemed so hungry that I gave him
another spoonful over a half-hour period of time. He was finally
acting back to normal, and it was bed-time. I took him in my room,
closed out everyone else, and he slept in the crook of my arm the
entire night without moving. This morning, he was back to being my
baby Shamrock again. With better breath.

--
Cheryl
Old March 1st 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Sellner wrote:
[...]

aw, poor Shamrock. I'm glad to hear he's ok now. Don't you just love them?
Lily & her mama

Old March 1st 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Sellner wrote:
This morning, he was back to being my
baby Shamrock again. With better breath.

So glad he is back to normal. Poor Shamrock, what a lousy day he had of
it. Give him a scritch from me.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 1st 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Sellner wrote:
[...]

Poor Shamrock, I'm glad he's feeling better now.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 1st 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Cheryl Sellner" wrote in message
He wouldn't let me hold him, he was just too out
of it and not interested in sitting still. After another 2 hours,
he finally meowed. Then he wouldn't shut up. LOL The vet said he
couldn't eat because it could make him sick, but against her
orders, I gave him licks of baby food off of a spoon because a
little sustanance can bring them around faster if it doesn't make
them sick. He kept it down, and seemed so hungry that I gave him
another spoonful over a half-hour period of time. He was finally
acting back to normal, and it was bed-time. I took him in my room,
closed out everyone else, and he slept in the crook of my arm the
entire night without moving. This morning, he was back to being my
baby Shamrock again. With better breath.

Awwwww - big hugs and lots of scritches to Shamrock for feeling so crummy
there for a while. I always cheat and give them little bits of food early
too :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 1st 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-01, Cheryl Sellner penned:
This morning, he was back to being my baby Shamrock again. With
better breath.

Poor guy. I'm glad he's bounced back now.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 1st 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Susan M wrote:

Awwwww - big hugs and lots of scritches to Shamrock for feeling so crummy
there for a while. I always cheat and give them little bits of food early
too :-)

Susan - how's Otis doing? Is he feeling any better?

Joyce
Old March 1st 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Sellner wrote:

I've been lurking and reading and sending silent purrs lately, but
I wanted to share poor Shamrock's Monday. I dropped him off
yesterday for a dental because his breath has been really rank, and
when I went to brush his teeth (which I do not keep up with, bad
meowmie), his gums bled easily. I was a little worried about
anesthesia and the use of Clomicalm for the last year, so I left a
note reminding the vet that he's on it. snip The vet said he
couldn't eat because it could make him sick, but against her
orders, I gave him licks of baby food off of a spoon because a
little sustanance can bring them around faster if it doesn't make
them sick. He kept it down, and seemed so hungry that I gave him
another spoonful over a half-hour period of time. He was finally
acting back to normal, and it was bed-time. I took him in my room,
closed out everyone else, and he slept in the crook of my arm the
entire night without moving. This morning, he was back to being my
baby Shamrock again. With better breath.

I'm so glad to hear all went well. You take such good care of Shamrock,
Cheryl.
Best wishes and purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 2nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Susan M wrote:

Awwwww - big hugs and lots of scritches to Shamrock for feeling so
crummy
there for a while. I always cheat and give them little bits of food
early
too :-)

Susan - how's Otis doing? Is he feeling any better?

Thanks for asking Joyce. I'm not decided yet on what to do with Otis. He's
still licking his lips like crazy but seems to have given up on actual
barfing at this time. He had an episode of this about 6 months ago and it
cleared up on its own. I'm torn between being concerned that its a symptom
of something more serious and worried that I'd do too many unnecessary and
expensive tests. Hmmmm....

Susan M
Otis and Chester