OT $5.37

Old September 8th 10, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default OT $5.37

On 07 Sep 2010 18:12:58 GMT, wrote:

dgk wrote:

I got my first Senior Discount from the NYC Dept of Parks and
Recreation. The normal $75 yearly fee for gym and pools is a mere $10
once you are over 55. I look forward to many more.

That's a great deal! For that matter, $75 a year is a pretty good deal,
too. Hmm, I wonder if the local YMCA has some sort of senior discount,
and if so, when might one qualify.

Joyce

(YMCA = Young Men's Christian Association, but few members are Y, M *and*
C these days. The "Y", as it's called, is now mostly a community center,
focusing on exercise, health and education. Depending on the community one
serves, the cost of membership can be pretty high.)

I belong to the local YMCA. And Crunch gym near work. The Y costs
almost $55 a month now and I mostly just take a class or two Sunday
mornings. Our insurance provides a big rebate on the Crunch gym and I
use that one almost daily during lunch. They have 1/2 hour classes -
and that's about all I can take without collapsing. It costs around
$300 for six months (like the Y) but if you attend 50 times each six
month interval you get back $200.

There is a brand new NYC pool near me that I also use, so that's well
worth the $10 per year.

And of course, my cats chase me around the house and that's good
exercise as well.
Old September 10th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

On 9/7/2010 11:40 AM, dgk wrote:

I got my first Senior Discount from the NYC Dept of Parks and
Recreation. The normal $75 yearly fee for gym and pools is a mere $10
once you are over 55. I look forward to many more.

I just got my first discount for being 55. I went down to the DMV
(Department of Motor Vehicles) to renew my driver's license and found
out that once you turn 55 they no longer issue you licenses for longer
than 5 years. So, instead of the $60 it costs the young punks to get
their renewals, it only cost me $20. I think I'd rather pay the $60 but
understand the reasoning.

Pam S. who wants her over 55 discount at I-Hop
Old September 11th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Cshenk has been posting recipes for me and for the group to enjoy.
Which a big thank you goes out to me to her every day.

Based on your dates, I've posted series 3. Not all of it are you ready for
but some, if the Doc visit goes right, is now in line.

9/7 I go for a nuclear upper GI

Results ok?

9/14 I go to for my first adjustment and should be on a normal solid
food diet of course in the portions I have listed before

Thats why I put series 3 out there. If it turns out too early, delete the
post and i saved it to post when ready. Temptation is not good.

9/22 I go to my normal doctor to see if I can come off all my diabetic
medication or be put on a way lower dose. He has already cut it by 3/4

Hehe these are mostly diabetic acceptable but the rice soups and pancit are
not. BTW, alt.support.diabetes can help as well but some of them there have
rather strong ideas on what is to be done and some aren't very flexible.
I'm in there though.

Good and yes, they'd need to cut that as the intake is less so the meds
need to go down. If not, you'll go Hypo.

Yeah the idiots in the hospital tried to make me crash. Boith my doctors
orders were that I could have my medications as normal. This was in the
chart on what I took. I woke up in the early morning to a nurse trying to
put insulin into my IV. I about took her head off. I said I am on
diabetic medication are you trying to crash me. She said the floor doctor
ordered it. I told her get him in here. Well lets just say that I made
him feel a inch high and his dead relatives for 100 years past could feel
his stupidity. That was the only real problem I had there was another
doctor trying to play who has the bigger set. I was setting at 109 with
out my night time medication yet and 2 hours after I ate I was 160 with
no medication. When this idiot tried that stuff later that night. With
medication I was sitting at 91. Very good numbers for me

So only 160 without any meds? Not bad! It's still over what they like but
as long as the spike comes down quickly, with no meds this sounds like a
very positive result of the weight loss.

Might I make a suggestion you already probably are doing? Home meter test
pretty often just now. As things change for you, your meds and reactions
will as well. Foods that didn't spike before might but I gather this is
more a metter of adjustment time. It's the highs all the time that cause
the problem. Not a short time only up to 160. Not 'good' mind you, but not
eye-popping 400's either. Then again, you probably know more on this stuff
than I do.

By the holidays I should be back on complex carbohydrates at least in
time to enjoy a xmas dinner with the family

;-)

In moderation yes! Here's a trick from another friend who had to make a
radical diet shift a bit like yours. He took to using just the
coffee/tea saucers for his dinner plate. For him, the eyeball appeal of
a 'full plate' helped a *lot*. He actually got a bunch of the itty bitty
'finger bowls' from a local asian place that looked pretty and were just
right for 2 TB or so of something and used those about his 'dinner plate'
(small saucer). He said all that white space was depressing and this
fixed it. Maybe worth a try?

Of course ;-) there will be no oh I will be a good boy tomorrow thing. I
want to be that person I was years ago before this happened

Except thanksgiving dinner. Hehe gotta just have a bit of everything. the
small plate trick helps. 'Trick the eyes' sort of thing there and with a
small enough one, you can even go back to nibble some seconds.

Here's another then in that line if you can have it. Black olives (oil
ones not as good for the diet but brined work as you won't get much
sodium). Like pickles and kimchee, these are 'free foods'. If you have a
mini-crockpot (often used for Potpurri) then soak 2 whole unpeeled garlic
heads in water and tuck them in there with 1 ts water. Free flavor
enhancer. Squeeze one clove over a black olive. 'Free foodie food'.

Black olives are in question for me one site says they are starchy another
site says different. I am going to have to ask the dietician to see what
it is but that sound yummy

Well, all food has some level of carbs pretty much.

Olives, ripe, canned (small-extra large) 5 large 1.38g
Garlic, raw 1 clove 0.99g

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...t/sr22a205.pdf

That link will let you look stuff up yourself and is possibly more accurate
than your dietician's sources.

The hunger craving suck but I know I can do it. I quite drinking ,
caffeine and smoking. I can do this I keep thinking in my head over and
over. I

You can. The hard time is now. It does and will get easier. I have
faith in you my friend. Sure you'll goof once or twice but overall, you
are going to make it. Your body is trying to tell you it is starving
because it is getting smaller, a natural reaction.

It happens to every one you go walking you fall skin your knee well you
can never say I can't walk again

It is a challenge I told mom and my friends they can have their stuff in
front of me but just don't flaunt it. If they do I will go in the
garbage

Yeah but if they care, they will be easy about it when it comes to the
snackies in your face just now!

;-) Even the salad dressings there are bad. You may be experiencing a
common thing of a radical diet shift. Fat intolerance. It eases up but
now is the time to let it just be that way as your Doc recommends. McD's
foods smell nasty to the person who has been fat reduced diet. It's
something you don't notice when on a higher fat diet.

Was never a big fan of them but when was 4 am you had been working for 24
hours. It was quick and easy if necessary. I avoided as much as
possible. I eat healthy before the surgery also but this is totally
different

Grin, it's really important to get the most nutritional 'bang for the buck'
just now. I bet your dietician is watching that carefully.

I use the fat free mayo. I can tell the difference in the two by taste I
like the fat free more. I just add enough with the mustard to get it wet
which is allowed in the diet

Hehe tastebuds vary wildly among us people. I have never found a fat-free
mayo I can tolerate. Thats probably because most of them use sweetners.
I'm not a diabetic but an odd genetic abberation that acts like hypoglycemia
with no high spikes. Sugar spins me out and i developed an antipathy to
sweets and sweet tasting things over time. Carmelized green bell peppers
and onions are my top end generally except i still like fruit in reasonable
amounts. Yeah I know. I'm odd but I'm a nice odd!

Wal-Mart has sugar free popsicles 24 and 36 count various flavors 5
calories no sugar or sugar alcohol for like $2.00
You forgot something else that is yummy sugar free Jell-O

Hehe it's easy for me to forget things like that! I _hate_ sweets! Sorry!
But the popsicles and jello sound like a good deal for you and I do
sometimes make the sugar free jellos with added real fruit/berry bits. Want
a real kick in flavor? Get a small jar of 100% cranberry juice with no
sugar/sweetner added. Tart as hell and not really drunk 'as is'. You can
sub it for wine in cooking and add a little to the water used to make the
jello.