Ring tone that's silent to adults?

Old June 13th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ring tone that's silent to adults?

Cheryl wrote:
On Mon 12 Jun 2006 09:57:12p, Cheryl wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I don't get it. Are kids like dogs? LOL It's all over the news
that there is a frequency that kids can hear and most adults
cannot. It was said that when it was discovered, the tone was
used in a store somewhere in Europe that had a teen population
that the proprietors didn't want loitering, so they played this
tone that adults couldn't hear, but it annoyed the hell out of
kids. Weird.

http://news.com.com/A+ring+tone+mean...af+ears/2100-1
1395_3-6082685.html

An experiment - my cats seem to be able to hear this. I can't.
Bonnie in particular looked very annoyed with me when I kept
replaying it. I had the laptop volume turned all the way up.

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

I am an adult and I can most definitely hear that! Yikes, how
annoying!!! Vino didn't seem bothered though.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 13th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Takayuki wrote:

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

Aaaaaahhhh!! What is that!!!??? That felt like someone was cutting a
hole in my ear with a dentist's drill!

LOL, if we didn't know before, we now know who the young people are
on this newsgroup.

Joyce --- couldn't hear it
and Smudge --- unimpressed
Old June 13th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:20:38 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting. I tried it and heard it. It *is* a really annoying
whine / whistle. My ears must be considerably younger than the rest
of me! BTW, I didn't try it with the cats nearby; it's annoying
enough for me - I wouldn't want to aggravate the cats (who think
they're hard-done-by because AFA they're C, it's WAY PAST DINNERTIME)

Tish
Old June 13th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I couldn't hear it with my sound set the way it usually is, but when I
turned it up, I heard it. I agree - it's extremely annoying. The cats
weren't around when I tried it.

Joy

Old June 13th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:06:37 +1000, Tish Silberbauer
wrote:

Interesting. I tried it and heard it. It *is* a really annoying
whine / whistle. My ears must be considerably younger than the rest
of me! BTW, I didn't try it with the cats nearby; it's annoying
enough for me - I wouldn't want to aggravate the cats (who think
they're hard-done-by because AFA they're C, it's WAY PAST DINNERTIME)

I could hear it perfectly well too - it hurt my ears! The cats ignored
it though... I played it several times with them in the room and they
didn't pay any attention to it. Now I know why computer-whine tends to
annoy me when DH says 'what noise'?
Old June 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:

this tone that
adults couldn't hear, but it annoyed the hell out of kids. Weird.

I happened to have two cats sitting/lying right beside one of my
speakers when I read this, so I downloaded it and ran the
experiment. Results:

Normal volume -- I couldn't hear it. Heidi reacted to it, but
Will didn't.

Full volume -- I could hear it; didn't find it all that
irritating. Both cats reacted to it.
--

Wayne M.
Old June 14th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 13 Jun 2006 05:11:45 GMT, wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

Aaaaaahhhh!! What is that!!!??? That felt like someone was cutting a
hole in my ear with a dentist's drill!

LOL, if we didn't know before, we now know who the young people are
on this newsgroup.

Joyce --- couldn't hear it
and Smudge --- unimpressed

I am 48, and could just barely hear it with the volume turned all of
the way up. It definitely wouldn't get my attention if there was
background noise.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old June 14th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

news

Takayuki wrote:

http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages...0_RINGTONE.mp3

Aaaaaahhhh!! What is that!!!??? That felt like someone was cutting a
hole in my ear with a dentist's drill!

LOL, if we didn't know before, we now know who the young people are
on this newsgroup.

Joyce --- couldn't hear it
and Smudge --- unimpressed

I am 48, and could just barely hear it with the volume turned all of
the way up. It definitely wouldn't get my attention if there was
background noise.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
http://pgp.mit.edu

It doesn't seem to have much to do with age. I'm 70, and actually have a
bit of a hearing problem. As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't hear it with
the volume at the normal setting. However, when I turned it up, I heard it
clearly. I then gradually turned it down and found that I needed just a
little more volume than usual to be able to hear it. OTOH, I suspect that
my late husband couldn't have heard it when he was 40. He was quite a bit
younger than that when there was a cricket in our kitchen. It was so loud
that it actually hurt my ears when I was in the kitchen. He couldn't hear
it at all.

Joy

Old June 14th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

Loss of the ability to hear at a particular frequency isn't a function
of age. It is a function of how much loud noise you have encountered
at that particular frequency over the years. I remember reading about
a hearing study done among a tribe of Indians in the Brazilian Amazon.
The elderly folks had just a good a hearing range as the young
children, as they had never been exposed to noise as loud as those of
us in industrialized societies.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from