Help! Horrified panic about Scouty...

Old January 16th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Help! Horrified panic about Scouty...

kilikini wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message

Scouty just came and waved her butt in my face and I am willing to
swear on a stack of bibles that I SAW A WORM POKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen *any* fleas? Could simply be a tapeworm.

kili

Hi Karen,

I agree. You normally wouldn't see worms on your cat except tape worms,
which are very visible and common. Was it white? Tape worms (actually
it's their moving egg sacks) look like little grains of wiggling rice.
It is a real freak-out the first time you see it.

Things will be fine soon,

Rhonda

Old January 16th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Scouty just came and waved her butt in my face and I am willing to
swear on a stack of bibles that I SAW A WORM POKING OUT!!!!!!!!!! John
says that if she had worms we wouldn't see them and I must have
imagined it but I know what I saw... I immediately carried her over to
him so he could see but it was gone. I'm horrified and very worried
about my baby girl... she doesn't even know what 'outside' is and she
only eats her dry kibble and won't even eat human food for a treat so
we don't understand how she could have got them. Could she have them?
What do we do now? It's eight thirty on Sunday night so it's not like
we can call the vet...

(I have a real phobia about bugs and parasites and things that
bite/suck blood... I'm fighting the urge to start disinfecting every
place that I've ever seen Scouty sit, and I want to have about ten
thousand showers because SHE CUDDLES WITH ME EVERY DAY!)

Help please, before I have a nervous breakdown...

Don't panic. Call TED tomorrow and arrange for both cats to be treated, if
either or both have worms they're easily treated, if not, no harm done.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 16th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:55:24 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Yes, she could have worms even though she is an indoor cat. But
don't panic. This is usually easily (and inexpensively) treated.
Whatever you do, *do not* buy over-the-counter medication. Buy only
from your vet -- over-the-counter medications are usually
ineffective and may be dangerous (including reports of death from
Hartz medications). If possible, take a fresh fecal sample to the
vet so it can be examined under a microscope for parasites (the
"fresher," the better for this purpose). I would guess that these
are round worms, but tape worms are also a possibility.

Although they are usually easy to treat, it is imporant to get this
done as soon as possible. Your vet may want to treat both cats, as
a precaution. This page has pictures of various types of worms that
may be seen in cats and dogs
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html (Warning: some of the
pics are rather disgusting to see.)

MaryL

I'll pass on the pictures thanks... I tried to look at a site about
cats and parasites and couldn't get past the first paragraph because
of the hideous photos... I'm going to have nightmares about it now!
lol
I'll take your word as warning NOT to just go to Petco for worm
medicine - that's what I was considering because I know John won't be
able to take the girls to the TED tomorrow...

If they have worms waiting a few days won't make much difference. People and
animals can have worms for years without any noticable effects.

Old January 16th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

Scouty just came and waved her butt in my face and I am willing to
swear on a stack of bibles that I SAW A WORM POKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!
John says that if she had worms we wouldn't see them and I must have
imagined it but I know what I saw... I immediately carried her over
to him so he could see but it was gone. I'm horrified and very
worried about my baby girl... she doesn't even know what 'outside'
is and she only eats her dry kibble and won't even eat human food
for a treat so we don't understand how she could have got them.
Could she have them? What do we do now? It's eight thirty on Sunday
night so it's not like we can call the vet...

If you actually SAW a worm, she may haver a rather bad
infestation, but it's not really life-threatening!
(Certainly not if you just noticed it - you'd have to
neglect the situation for a fairly long time, and I
seriously doubt you're the kind who would.) As to how she
got them, even animals who don't go out come in contact with
floors and carpets and things that come in from outdoors -
maybe one of you stepped in something that contained worm
eggs, and she sniffed at it enough breathe them in? Purrs
for your panic - such things are a nuisance, but not worth
stressing out over.

(I have a real phobia about bugs and parasites and things that
bite/suck blood... I'm fighting the urge to start disinfecting every
place that I've ever seen Scouty sit, and I want to have about ten
thousand showers because SHE CUDDLES WITH ME EVERY DAY!)

If you wash your hands with reasonable frequency (and before
eating) I don't think you're in much danger. Kids are more
careless about hygiene, that's why they can acquire
non-discriminating parasites from their pets.

I read a letter in a magazine recently where a woman was horrified to
discover she'd got worms from her grandchild.

Old January 16th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message

I'll take your word as warning NOT to just go to Petco for worm
medicine - that's what I was considering because I know John won't be
able to take the girls to the TED tomorrow...

Echoing what the others have said about not having a panic over it.

Go to vet. Get Drontal Dual worming tablets. One for each cat. Give each cat
a pill. Job done. To maintain as job done, repeat every few months. No
hassle. Simple.

Cheers, helen s

Old January 16th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
Scouty just came and waved her butt in my face and I am willing to
swear on a stack of bibles that I SAW A WORM POKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!

This happened to Nocturne once, except that the worm actually came out.
We flushed it down the toilet, and the next day we went to the vet and
got de-wormer pills for all the household kitties. We haven't seen
worms since, though we usually de-worm everyone once a year just to be
sure.

--Fil

Old January 16th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:28:28 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure everyone else have given you good advice, so I'll just add
some calming purrs :-)

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old January 17th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-16, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:
[...]

Purrs that it's nothing, or at least that it's easily treatable and
not gross.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Oops! Poor Scouty! Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 6 January 13th 06 05:09 AM
Scouty plays Pounce-the-cursor Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 5 November 9th 05 03:37 PM
Scouty gets lost! Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 6 June 20th 05 11:29 PM
Panic Mouse Mischief Cat anecdotes 1 January 15th 04 04:44 AM
Panic mouse Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 September 28th 03 03:03 PM