Persia and the Stale Cat Food

Old April 5th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia and the Stale Cat Food

I was cleaning out a cupboard and found a couple of small half-used bags
of dry cat food. Friskies and something else. I guess I bought it when
Persia started dropping weight fast and we didn't know yet what was
going on. I just wanted her to eat.

Well, I scattered some of this old stale food on the patio a few days
ago. I figured maybe the squirrels would eat it. Nope. But the big
crows loved it! I found it interesting most of them would dip it in the
bird bath to rehydrate it.

Anyway, the weather is very nice and mild here. I have the (screened)
back door to the patio open. I tossed the rest of that old cat food on
the patio. Persia heard me shaking the bag. They all know that sound,
don't they?

Then she started sniffing through the screen. Hey! Isn't that the food
I got to eat once? I liked it! LOL

She has been hanging out by the patio door ever since. Sniffing at the
stale but forbidden kibble. Tossing longing glances at it. And at me.
Sorry, girl.

It's pretty funny to watch her try to convince me there's some intruder.
Some reason she *really* needs to go out there.

Jill
Old April 7th 14, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:52:29 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Could be some little mousie out there? Must investigate.
Old April 7th 14, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

Both tiger and Sweetie pie are sloppy eaters and leave a lot of little pieces of canned food around their dishes. Later on after it has dried up they will "snack" these pieces. One would think they were hungry!
Old April 7th 14, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/7/2014 11:49 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
Both tiger and Sweetie pie are sloppy eaters and leave a lot of little pieces of canned food around their dishes. Later on after it has dried up they will "snack" these pieces. One would think they were hungry!

Persia is a messy eater, too. I have plastic placemats under her water
and food bowls. She ignores the stuff that she's slopped out of the
bowls, though.

Jill
Old April 7th 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 4/7/2014 8:49 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
Both tiger and Sweetie pie are sloppy eaters and leave a lot of little pieces of canned food around their dishes. Later on after it has dried up they will "snack" these pieces. One would think they were hungry!

Waffles and Pickles crack me up. On the recommendation of the vet, they
get Iams Weight Control (kibbles). They are sloppy, and positively
refuse to eat any food that has fallen on the floor. This is in my
dining area. In the kitchen part, I give them "treats". If they're
both there, they bet a few actual treats. Otherwise, what they get is
actually Friskies. They gobble that up from the floor without hesitation.

Joy
Old April 9th 14, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/7/2014 8:59 AM, dgk wrote:
It's pretty funny to watch her try to convince me there's some intruder.
Some reason she*really* needs to go out there.

Jill

Could be some little mousie out there? Must investigate.

Funny thing, Persia is afraid of mice. When I lived in west Tennessee
we were walking towards the kitchen. Persia was walking ahead of me,
because of course kitchen = food! She stopped dead in her tracks and
meowed. I looked. There was a dead mouse on the floor. She refused to
go into the kitchen until after I disposed of it.

The one thing she likes about living in South Carolina is the anole
lizards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole

The lizards are starting to show up now that it's getting warmer. They
climb on the screen doors. Persia watches them with intense interest.

Jill
Old April 9th 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 4/9/2014 8:51 AM, jmcquown wrote:
On 4/7/2014 8:59 AM, dgk wrote:
It's pretty funny to watch her try to convince me there's some intruder.
Some reason she*really* needs to go out there.

Jill

Could be some little mousie out there? Must investigate.

Funny thing, Persia is afraid of mice. When I lived in west Tennessee
we were walking towards the kitchen. Persia was walking ahead of me,
because of course kitchen = food! She stopped dead in her tracks and
meowed. I looked. There was a dead mouse on the floor. She refused to
go into the kitchen until after I disposed of it.

LOL! That reminds me of my first cat, Tawny. We'd had her for a few
months when I saw a mouse in the kitchen. I went and brought Tawny to
the kitchen, hoping he'd catch the mouse. He took one look and ran!

Joy

Old April 9th 14, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/7/2014 8:59 AM, dgk wrote:
It's pretty funny to watch her try to convince me there's some
intruder.
Some reason she*really* needs to go out there.

Jill

Could be some little mousie out there? Must investigate.

Funny thing, Persia is afraid of mice. When I lived in west Tennessee
we were walking towards the kitchen. Persia was walking ahead of me,
because of course kitchen = food! She stopped dead in her tracks and
meowed. I looked. There was a dead mouse on the floor. She refused to
go into the kitchen until after I disposed of it.

LOL! That reminds me of my first cat, Tawny. We'd had her for a few
months when I saw a mouse in the kitchen. I went and brought Tawny to
the kitchen, hoping he'd catch the mouse. He took one look and ran!

Joy

Apparently they aren't all "mousers"

Jill
Old April 10th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:51:29 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 4/7/2014 8:59 AM, dgk wrote:
It's pretty funny to watch her try to convince me there's some intruder.
Some reason she*really* needs to go out there.

Jill

Could be some little mousie out there? Must investigate.

Funny thing, Persia is afraid of mice. When I lived in west Tennessee
we were walking towards the kitchen. Persia was walking ahead of me,
because of course kitchen = food! She stopped dead in her tracks and
meowed. I looked. There was a dead mouse on the floor. She refused to
go into the kitchen until after I disposed of it.

The one thing she likes about living in South Carolina is the anole
lizards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole

The lizards are starting to show up now that it's getting warmer. They
climb on the screen doors. Persia watches them with intense interest.

Jill

I'm very interested to see how the cats take to those little lizards
in Florida. I'm likely to have a screened in "Florida Room" since all
the houses in that community have one. It will take a while before I
let them roam, but I'll likely let them in the Florida Room pretty
soon after I move there. Once in a while a lizard ends up in the
room, but mostly they hang on the outside of the screens.
Old April 10th 14, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/10/2014 12:58 PM, dgk wrote:
The one thing she likes about living in South Carolina is the anole
lizards.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_anole

The lizards are starting to show up now that it's getting warmer. They
climb on the screen doors. Persia watches them with intense interest.

Jill

I'm very interested to see how the cats take to those little lizards
in Florida. I'm likely to have a screened in "Florida Room" since all
the houses in that community have one. It will take a while before I
let them roam, but I'll likely let them in the Florida Room pretty
soon after I move there. Once in a while a lizard ends up in the
room, but mostly they hang on the outside of the screens.

I've never had a lizard get inside (knock wood). As you say, they just
hang out on the screens. I see them by the mailbox, sometimes. Anoles
are like small camelions; they change colour to blend in with the
surroundings. Hanging on the screen, they're bright green. On the
mailbox post they're brown. During mating season the males display
bright pink dewlaps. Showing off for the girls.

There's also a red headed skink that resided under the cover over the
firepit on my patio last year. I think he/she is back. I nicknamed him
Rosie.

A Florida room (screened-in porch) sounds perfect for the cats.
Depending upon where you move, that might be as close to the outdoors as
you want them to get. Where I live, there be monsters. I'm talking
about alligators. And possibly some poisonous snakes.

Jill