(OT) Mozilla Firefox Advice

Old August 3rd 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default (OT) Mozilla Firefox Advice

jmcquown wrote:

Mozilla is asking me to install some sort of shopping/sweepstakes option
which also wants to add something to the computer. That would be a NO. And
what the heck is with making Babylon the default search engine? What is
that?

So I tried installing Firefox again and even though I clicked Cancel when it
asked about Babylon, now IE (my current default) has Babylon as the search
engine. (If this screws up my new computer I'll scream so loudly they'll
hear me across the pond!)

Something like that happened to me recently. It involved IE on my work
computer. (I hardly ever use IE at home.) I must not have been paying enough
attention the last time there was an upgrade, and all of a sudden there
was this new toolbar, new home page, and new default search engine, all part
of an add-on called "addobrio" (or something like that). A stealth add-on.

I was able to get rid of it by selecting Tools - Internet Options - Settings
button (in the "Search" area). This opens a window called "Manage Add-ons".
It allows you to update toolbars, extensions, search engines, and other stuff -
and I was able to get rid of it. Firefox must have something similar.

BTW, I did have a fairly recent backup on a flash drive. The hard drive
wasn't damaged, but the monitor on the old laptop was completely shot. I
confess: I spilled a glass of water on the keyboard and it took out the
monitor. The guys at Best Buy loaded the data from my old PC onto a
portable HD. But I can't figure out where to tell it to put it so I can get
things right. I haven't kept up with the technology. And to think I used
to be so proficient at this sort of thing. (sigh)

It really doesn't take long to become out-of-date on technology, once you're
no longer working in the field. I stopped doing software development 15
years ago, and a couple of years after that, I would see a programmer
job ad and think I'd have to go back to school to get that job. Now I
can't even read those ads! No idea what they're talking about.

--
Joyce

The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old August 4th 12, 07:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

Jack Campin wrote:

It's very old and if you don't have as big an investment in legacy
software as I do, you don't want it. The later versions are Leopard
(10.5), Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8).

Presumably they're putting more and more features into the OS whenever
there's a new version, right? So it stands to reason that the cats should
be getting bigger with each new release: mountain lion, leopard, snow
leopard, lion, tiger, and then... smilodon? Then they have to switch
to a new family of animals, I guess.

The pattern isn't as obvious as that. Apparently they started out naming
them after German WW2 tanks, which were themselves named after big cats.

Well, there you go. That's just like when someone tried to name a
development
project after a make of car (cobra), and everyone thought he meant the
snake.

(I just realized that in my last post, I might have said one of the snake
names was "Mambo" - LOL. I meant Mamba. Though it would also be great to
have
a line of products named after Afro-Cuban dances. )

I still wanna see OS X Maru.

Wouldn't that be great!

--
Joyce

My friend Nancy (who once posted here to let you folks know I was in the
hospital, 2008) recently adopted a kitten with markings like Maru. Her cat,
Cocoa, is brown and tan but has the same type of swirled markings on her fur
as Maru's. I've heard this type of cat described as a "marble tabby". That
seems like an appropriate description

Jill

Old August 6th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default Thunderbird as newsreader (WAS: (OT) Mozilla Firefox Advice)

In article , "jmcquown" wrote:

Could you shoot me an email about how to configure Thunderbird for Usenet?

Just got into the office, where I use NewsXpress, but I'll try and recreate
the steps (unfamiliar because I don't do it very often) when I get paroled and
will contact you this evening or tomorrow. I've been thinking of putting
Thunderbird on another one of the laptops, so this will provide the excuse to
do so.

I recall that I had to go through some grief to prevent it from also taking
over my Email, as I prefer to use Outlook 2003 for that functionality at home.

Art
Old August 6th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Could you shoot me an email about how to configure Thunderbird for Usenet?

Just got into the office, where I use NewsXpress, but I'll try and recreate
the steps (unfamiliar because I don't do it very often) when I get paroled
and
will contact you this evening or tomorrow. I've been thinking of putting
Thunderbird on another one of the laptops, so this will provide the excuse
do so.

I recall that I had to go through some grief to prevent it from also taking
over my Email, as I prefer to use Outlook 2003 for that functionality at
home.

Art

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm also interested, so I hope you will post the information here. I need
to try to find a message Cheryl posted awhile ago concerning this same
topic. I never got around to it and now have forgotten where it is.

MaryL
Old August 7th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/6/2012 11:44 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , "jmcquown" wrote:

Could you shoot me an email about how to configure Thunderbird for Usenet?

Just got into the office, where I use NewsXpress, but I'll try and recreate
the steps (unfamiliar because I don't do it very often) when I get paroled and
will contact you this evening or tomorrow. I've been thinking of putting
Thunderbird on another one of the laptops, so this will provide the excuse to
do so.

I recall that I had to go through some grief to prevent it from also taking
over my Email, as I prefer to use Outlook 2003 for that functionality at home.

Art

Thanks anyway, but someone else sent me info about how to set it up as a
newsreader. They sure do hide it well! I'm testing it. Also testing
it for email.

Jill
Old August 7th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

In article , "jmcquown" wrote:

Could you shoot me an email about how to configure Thunderbird for Usenet?

Just got into the office, where I use NewsXpress, but I'll try and recreate
the steps (unfamiliar because I don't do it very often) when I get paroled and
will contact you this evening or tomorrow. I've been thinking of putting
Thunderbird on another one of the laptops, so this will provide the excuse to
do so.

I recall that I had to go through some grief to prevent it from also taking
over my Email, as I prefer to use Outlook 2003 for that functionality at home.

Art

Thanks anyway, but someone else sent me info about how to set it up as a
newsreader. They sure do hide it well! I'm testing it. Also testing it for email.

Jill

A good thing about, Thunderbird, is it quotes properly, unlike Windows
Mail.
--
Adrian
Old August 8th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

In article , "jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's true. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the ins
and outs of it. I despise figuring out new (to me) software. It's too
much like work

Jill

Mozilla Firefox Problem jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 16 December 15th 09 01:53 PM
icanhascheezburger vs Firefox, again Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 2 September 10th 09 01:49 AM
icanhascheezburger vs. Firefox Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 27 August 29th 09 02:47 AM
OT Firefox Bev Cat anecdotes 19 December 4th 04 05:54 PM
PING CK - Q about Mozilla Thunderbird Marina Cat anecdotes 6 September 6th 04 07:12 PM