Shave is gone

Old August 13th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Shave is gone

My neighbor Serene has (had) six cats. One all black one was Shave and
he was unique in that he was allowed to roam the street since he was
just miserable if they kept him inside. He would pretty much come and
go as he pleased and I'd often see him sitting on the air conditioner
waiting to be let in. He's been roaming the neighborhood for at least
three years.

Serene asked me to help look for him since he had been missing for two
days, and while questioning the neighbors one kid reported that her
friend had seen a dead black cat around the corner two days before. I
have no idea who cleans up dead animal bodies but they do a very good
job since we never saw it, but clearly that was Shave.

We were going to put out a notice asking people to check their garages
and sheds in case Shave had been trapped but that no longer needs to
be done. So, say a purr for Shave who was a very nice cat, friendly
and outgoing and is already greatly missed. I biked past Serene's
house on the way to work this morning and glanced at the A/C but of
course Shave wasn't there.
Old August 13th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs for Shave to go straight to RB.
I do not keep Boyfie in, and *if* he met a car (unlikely) and he was killed
on the road, I would mourn him, but never regret that he was free to wander
and hunt during his life.
I could of course keep him inside for his whole life to keep him safe. I
would then ask myself who this was for. It would be for me.
Sometimes you have to let UK cats chance it.

Old August 13th 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

So sad :-( Purrs for Shave's slave.
--
Adrian
Old August 13th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

dgk wrote:
[...]

My California cats were mostly indoor-outdoor, although I usually lived
where they were not in any great danger outdoors. However, I will
always be grateful to the neighbor who, discovering one of my guys had
apparently been hit by a car, was thoughtful enough to leave his corpse
in a paper bag by my front door. Admittedly, it was a shock to find him
that way, but at least I was spared the uncertainty of having him
disappear and never knowing what had become of him!
Old August 14th 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:43:36 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

Yes, I guess that is thoughtful. I was going to write that perhaps he
could have just left a note, but then maybe you would want to bury him
so it's better to recover the body.
Old August 14th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:41:04 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Shave's journey and for Serene and all those who loved Shave. He
sounds such a character. Serene gave him the life he needed to be happy,
he was so lucky to have such an understanding Human.

Judith

He really was a character. He could never figure me out though. He
knew me as a friendly person willing to give him food at the front of
my house, but if he was in the backyard (and he often did show up
there) I was sort of hostile, trying to get him out. That was so my
cats could come out. Espy will not tolerate any other cats (outside of
his brood) anywhere near the backyard when he is out there.
Old August 15th 12, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

It's a sad thing to have a cat hit by a car but I would never keep Boyfriend
inside just in case. He loves going out, and it's very safe here so I let
him be sensible about the road - after all, he made it here. He rarely goes
out on the front where the road is, he prefers to wander around in the acres
he has in the back.
I haven't forgotten that poor black cat that got killed in front of my house
a few years ago, though. It's almost impossible, but it happened. He
must have just set out from the pavement opposite when a rare car came
along. I think he was heading for my house - just the boy I wanted. Intact
stinky black male. He nearly made it to me.. He looked like my Pooey Pruie
I had as a child. Semi-longhair, a bit brown so he maybe wasn't young.
Only a few more yards would have brought him to me. If only.
First thing would have been a vets appt to remove his man things. I think
he died wandering for the girls. Poor lad.
I often think about him. His body laid outside my house for 36 hours, I
like to think his family found him, but it's more likely that my kind
neighbour buried him in their garden. I haven't asked.